Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Power and Resitance calculations - bring as many clues and notes as you can pleez
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mister Oragahn

Cool Power and Resitance calculations - bring as many clues and notes as you can pleez

I guess that now, since each other major sci-fi universe had it done, Stargate also needs its own power calculations to be made, in order to know how powerfull are the weapons we saw (various guns and cannons), how resistant are the shields, hulls and armours, etc...

But to do so, we need clues and notes, be they visual evidence or quotes from the film/show.

For example, I read that the small Goa'uld 3 sided ships' shields could stop an attack up to 2 gigatons.

Another point. I remember that in 48 hours, Teal'c was able to make Tanith's Al-kesh explode with just one shot of a glider staff.
Were the shields of the Al-Kesh raised ?
If yes, what I doubt btw, it would mean that the glider staff is very powerfull, probably beyond logic and continuity.
If no, then it could tell us that the cockpit isn't very protected by the glass and could probably made of some weak alloy.

Anyway, see, if you have notes, numbers, quotes or evidence, bring them here.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-09-2002 01:02 AM
Mister Oragahn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mister Oragahn Click here to Send Mister Oragahn a Private Message Find more posts by Mister Oragahn Add Mister Oragahn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

First things first, the smaller Goa'uld craft have never exhibited energy shields. Only capital ships have been observed employing them. Mind you, the war yacht destroyed in the pilot episode "Children of the Gods" was downed by the small fragmenting warhead of an RIM-92 Stinger manpack SAM.

Tel'tak shuttles and the Alkesh bombers have not been proven conclusively to possess shields.

The show's been vague. It was a tool they used. The enemy and their technologies are an enigma. Granted, as the story unfolds, you reasonably expect such mysteries to be dispelled, but the early practice of the show continues on, and the enemy and their technologies continue to remain mysterious to Terrans.

20 gigatons? That figure would depend on whether or not Ra (in the movie) was exaggerating when he said the power of a bomb was increased a thousandfold. Then you got to figure as the the exact nature of damage a nuclear explosion in high orbit. The mechanical energies of a nuke exploding in a vacuum (with no atmosphere to generate a shockwave) won't be quite as you expect in comparison with an atmospheric burst. You might expect most of the damage such a nuke inflicts in space to be radiated energies?what energy shield in sci-fi lore could not stop that?

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-09-2002 at 03:45 AM

Old Post 12-09-2002 03:20 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Tel'tak shuttles and the Alkesh bombers have not been proven conclusively to possess shields.
They say all the time in Tel'taks, "We've lost our shields," but we've never seen shockwaves impacting on them.

increased a thousandfold.
Hundred fold, but that's just nitpicking.

Old Post 12-09-2002 10:47 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
They say all the time in Tel'taks, "We've lost our shields," but we've never seen shockwaves impacting on them...

Cited examples, please.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-17-2002 05:36 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

Revelations: At the end in the Tel'tak, Teal'c "Hyperdrive is down, we've lost our shields. We cannot sustain another direct hit."

Last Stand: At the end in the Tel'tak, Jacob " Hold on Daniel, I'm diverting power to the shields."

Fail Safe: The leonidz are impacting the Tel'tak, Carter "I'm trying to get the shields online, bypass systems are all blown."

Fail Safe: Mission briefing on board Tel'tak, Carter "The ships shields will protect it but anyone caught outside will have to find cover, fast."

Old Post 12-17-2002 06:58 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

I don't understand why the gliders don't have shields. If the shield unit can be made light enough and durable enough and comfortable enough for a Goa'uld to wear, yet large enough and powerful enough to protect a Ha'tak, then why can't it be installed on a glider?

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 12-17-2002 10:05 AM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mad

The little shuttles have sheilds, but that may depend the Tok'ra ones may have been modified. I think the Alkesh may have shields too, but we havent seen much of them. The bit in 48 hours the Alkesh was just taking off, it could have been too close to the ground to raise its sheilds, and the bit in Exodus the Alkesh had taken fire from the mothership.

Old Post 12-17-2002 11:47 AM
Mad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mad Click here to Send Mad a Private Message Find more posts by Mad Add Mad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex8472
dead and loving it

Question

well i assume the tel'tak have shields otherwise in reveltions sg1 would of been blown up with 1 shot
they were hit 4/5 times
the alkesh i don't know if they have shields but in exodus a mothership fire on the enercial engine didn't destroy so i presme it had shiels then
when it was shot down by the glider i assume it had no shields as it took 1 glider hit to destroy

or perhaps the gliders have better wqeapons than the motherships

Old Post 12-17-2002 12:24 PM
alex8472 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex8472 Click here to Send alex8472 a Private Message Visit alex8472's homepage! Find more posts by alex8472 Add alex8472 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lnt.kaos
Grrrrrr!

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
20 gigatons? That figure would depend on whether or not Ra (in the movie) was exaggerating when he said the power of a bomb was increased a thousandfold. Then you got to figure as the the exact nature of damage a nuclear explosion in high orbit. The mechanical energies of a nuke exploding in a vacuum (with no atmosphere to generate a shockwave) won't be quite as you expect in comparison with an atmospheric burst. You might expect most of the damage such a nuke inflicts in space to be radiated energies?what energy shield in sci-fi lore could not stop that?

But the nuke in Ra's ship was inside the shields so it's don't count

Old Post 12-17-2002 06:53 PM
Lnt.kaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lnt.kaos Click here to Send Lnt.kaos a Private Message Find more posts by Lnt.kaos Add Lnt.kaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

the alkesh i don't know if they have shields but in exodus a mothership fire on the enercial engine didn't destroy so i presme it had shiels then
when it was shot down by the glider i assume it had no shields as it took 1 glider hit to destroy

All Goa'uld ships BESIDES the Alkesh have an inertial propulsion system.

Old Post 12-17-2002 07:13 PM
Mad

On the topic I read somewhere that each shot of the Go'uld big cannons is like 20 megatons. However I cant verify this as I forgot where I got the info from.

Old Post 12-19-2002 08:43 PM
Mad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mad Click here to Send Mad a Private Message Find more posts by Mad Add Mad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

The alternate universe Dr. Sam Carter in "There But For the Grace of God" said the cities on the east coast of the United States had been annihilated by blasts equaling a few hundred megatons.

Then again, in the original Star Trek series, the phasers on the Enterprise were originally powerful enough to devastate half a continent, and that a tablespoon of its antimatter supply generated a blast powerful enough to strip 1/4 of a planet's atmosphere away. As the series and story progressed, those original assessments got scaled waaaaay back. That's a lesson well-learned: not everything written in the canon ever stays to its original values.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-19-2002 at 09:24 PM

Old Post 12-19-2002 09:18 PM