Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Host-jumping
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

Host-jumping

For quite a while I've been having a problem with the "host-jumping" change that was introduced in season two(in "Demons", i think). But thats not really the matter of discussion anyway...

One thing I would like know is why they felt it necessary to introduce such a lame thing in the series? Why doesn't all gou'ald use this ability? Why does the tok'ra have to do it another way? Why does it contradict things stated in "Hathor" so? (The thing about gou'ald needing host dna before entering a new host species)

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-25-2002 09:48 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

Thoughts...........
I always thought that the Goa'uld queen needed DNA to make more Sym's not so that they could go into a new host. The goa'uld do use this but it isn't seen as much as they have the nifty little machines that bring them back to life and make them forever young were as the tok'ra don't use them hense why they have to 'host jump'.

Old Post 11-25-2002 11:18 AM
chameleon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chameleon Click here to Send chameleon a Private Message Visit chameleon's homepage! Find more posts by chameleon Add chameleon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I don't see what the problem is? The Tok'ra do it slightly differently cos they care about the host; jumping can kill them, but obviously the Goa'uld don't care.

I don't think it's lame, and it seems quite logical and natural. All Goa'uld do or will, if they need to, just sometimes they don't cos it's easier to wrap up an episode if they don't.

Old Post 11-25-2002 01:41 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kaijyu
Num Num, Birdy Num Num!!!

quote:
Originally posted by chameleon
Thoughts...........
I always thought that the Goa'uld queen needed DNA to make more Sym's not so that they could go into a new host.

The DNA ensures that the *Sym's* will be compatible with the future host species.

* I do hope Sym's isn't short for Simpsons!

Old Post 11-25-2002 02:05 PM
Kaijyu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kaijyu Click here to Send Kaijyu a Private Message Find more posts by Kaijyu Add Kaijyu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

Which is contradicted when they reveal that Anubis has taken a furling as a host. To me it looks like furling doesn't have the same genetic make-up as a human host so??? And, for that matter, the symbiote from demons... It could jump from a unas to a human, even though it's strongly implied in the series that the symbiotes stopped using unas as hosts when they found humans to use for that purpose. Now really, wouldn't there be a minor dna incompability issue here? Especially since the unas symbiote would be incompatible with the human host since it had taken it's host before humans were introduced... But if we through the movie in to the mix, a lot more question aroses... Like Ra's host-jumping. Anyway, the question might just be, why the heck would a furling betray their race to a less advanced megalomanic race? Are the furlings something like Saurman in "The fellowship of the ring"???

Old Post 11-26-2002 04:10 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

Neither do the tollan, but as long as they have the same brain chemistry a symbiote is compatible. u must also remember that they only need the DNA to reproduce and make hosting easy, but anyway back to the header, host jumping is apparently very dangers, as says Martuf in the second tok'ra episode.

Old Post 11-26-2002 04:16 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

Shouldn't it be dangerous for the symbiote to? Like in the case with Jacob. There they say that they might die, but in demons the symbiote jumps from mortally wounded unas to a human without complications. If it's hard to jump to a ill person, wouldn't it be hard to jump from a ill person to? Another example is "The Tomb"(which by the way seems to support ?nubis theory of the symbiotes just being parasites). Shouldn't Marduk be able to jump to the little creep, mortally wound it and jump back to its former host, when the host-jumping is giving such magical powers in other episodes? Or "The serpents song", why doesn't Apophis jump to O'Neill? He would've fooled everyone by doing so...

Old Post 11-26-2002 04:49 AM
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

The danger is that they are significantly weakened after blending, they being the goa'uld, and when the blend several times over they get so weak that even the immune system can take them out, thereby we have: Danger.

Old Post 11-26-2002 04:56 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

Yes but that still doesn't explain how some are able to do it, while other don't. Apophis most certainly had the chance, didn't he... Just as much as the symbiote of the severly damaged unas. The health of the symbiote must be connected with the health of the host somewhere, somehow. I can't see how Sokar could possibly tamper with the symbiote without tampering with host in Apophis case.

Old Post 11-26-2002 07:03 AM
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

quote:
Which is contradicted when they reveal that Anubis has taken a furling as a host. To me it looks like furling doesn't have the same genetic make-up as a human host so???

That had better be just speculation, in which case what you think isn't always fact. If not, label your spoilers!

quote:
And, for that matter, the symbiote from demons... It could jump from a unas to a human, even though it's strongly implied in the series that the symbiotes stopped using unas as hosts when they found humans to use for that purpose.

It was also said in that episode that Sokar didn't stop using Unas as hosts.

quote:
Are the furlings something like Saurman in "The fellowship of the ring"???

Weird metaphor (or is it similie? I always get those two mixed up).

Maybe being geneticaly combatable just increases the chances of the goa'uld blending properly with the host? They mightn't have to be a dna match, it might just help if they are.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 11-26-2002 10:35 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by _.:?nubis:._
host jumping is apparently very dangers, as says Martuf in the second tok'ra episode.

Martouf is referring to the host though (so Goa'uld symbiotes wouldn't care).

And similie is when you say somethings like something, (green as grass) and metaphor is when you say something is something it's not... like... OK, well, can't actually think of one atm...

Old Post 11-26-2002 11:12 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Green as grass is a metaphor then Venus. A smilie would be "The drool slid down her chin like a glacier down a mountain."

Sorry couldn't think of a better example

quote:
The danger is that they are significantly weakened after blending, they being the goa'uld, and when the blend several times over they get so weak that even the immune system can take them out, thereby we have: Danger.

They don't get that weakened. The only host in the show that was weakened after blending was Jacob, and that was because Selmac was weak to begin with and had to heal him. The same thing didn't happen to Kawalski, Rothman or the guy in Demons.

Besides, they'd recover after it quickly enough. The effects aren't culmutive.

Old Post 11-26-2002 11:23 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

quote:
Originally posted by Kamakazi Casper
That had better be just speculation, in which case what you think isn't always fact. If not, label your spoilers!

It was also said in that episode that Sokar didn't stop using Unas as hosts.

Weird metaphor (or is it similie? I always get those two mixed up).

Maybe being geneticaly combatable just increases the chances of the goa'uld blending properly with the host? They mightn't have to be a dna match, it might just help if they are.

What episode? Where? The whole assumption that the people in demons were taken from earth must be wrong since it hasn't snowed in antarctica for a very long time. Thus there would've been a hole all the way up to the surface in Solitudes(is it I hope), since there wasn't any ring transporter there. So is there anything in demons that shouldn't be considered anything else than speculation from Daniel? No...

And the other thing, I'm just speculating so it isn't spoilers. I have only seen up til the final episode of season five. Why are people on this side so totally against speculation concerning things that may never show up in the series? So OK I'm speculating. And getting a little frustrated because of the lame Anubis story...

Forgot to say that I used the Saurman term just to indicate the turning from the good side to the dark side when you doesn't belive there is much choice or something like that... (Now I'm getting accused for posting "Fellowship of the ring"-spoilers too I guess...)

Last edited by 320rwekfpl on 11-26-2002 at 12:38 PM

Old Post 11-26-2002 12:26 PM
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

In Demons I think. Or else in TDYK.

quote:
The whole assumption that the people in demons were taken from earth must be wrong since it hasn't snowed in antarctica for a very long time.Thus there would've been a hole all the way up to the surface in Solitudes(is it I hope), since there wasn't any ring transporter there.

They didn't have to come by Stargate, they could have taken the people on ships.

You don't need two ring transporters to transport things. So it doesn't matter if there was one or not.
quote:
And the other thing, I'm just speculating so it isn't spoilers. I have only seen up til the final episode of season five. Why are people on this side so totally against speculation concerning things that may never show up in the series?

Because you're talking like it's true and set in stone. You're making a lot of assumptions based on, in my opinion, far-fetched assumptions. I don't mind speculation as long as people realise that thats all it is.

I wasn't accusing you of posting spoilers (well, I was) I honestly wasn't sure if they were spoilers or speculation and if they were spoilers, they were big ones.

Old Post 11-26-2002 01:06 PM
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

quote:
Originally posted by Kamakazi Casper
In Demons I think. Or else in TDYK.

They didn't have to come by Stargate, they could have taken the people on ships.

It is stated in the episode that the theory is that they were taken by the antarctica gate. Not by ship.

quote:

You don't need two ring transporters to transport things. So it doesn't matter if there was one or not.

No but if there were no ring transporter there would have to be a whole since it hasn't snowed in antarctica for something like two million years. The Gou'ald uses ring transporters for such purposes...

quote:

Because you're talking like it's true and set in stone. You're making a lot of assumptions based on, in my opinion, far-fetched assumptions. I don't mind speculation as long as people realise that thats all it is.

I wasn't accusing you of posting spoilers (well, I was) I honestly wasn't sure if they were spoilers or speculation and if they were spoilers, they were big ones.

They're really not that far fetched as you thought them of being spoiler, are they? Anyway. (This might be a spoiler so stop reading I you hasn't seen "Fifth Race" or "Meridian" or "Asenscion").

If you watch those two/three episode after one another, it seems like it's strongly implied that the Ancients are the same people as the Ascended, given the nature of a couple of phrases were the term "plane of existance" is mentioned. Anyhow... The furling stuff is just pure speculation relating to what the word furl means and the reason the alliance were off...

Old Post 11-26-2002 05:35 PM