Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > 1969/2010 plot "oopsie"
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

No chance, and by that, I mean no chance AT ALL.
Apart from the fact that the earth rotates on a decaying orbit, and the fact that it spins around.
And thats got nothing to do with the galaxy rotating on its own axis, and nothing to do with the fact that several galaxies move amongst themselves in local groups, and nothing to do with the movement of several local groups amongst super clusters and the expanion of the universe.

If none of that happened, and all that had to be compensated for was 30 years of the earths rotation..note, rotation, not orbit, the chances of them arriving in the same room they left, in exactly the same spot... would still be impossible.
When scientists talk of possible meteor hits in 30 years, or 300 years, what they give is a statistical spread of probablilites, a spread based around a large volume which has a certain likelihood of the meteor passing through.
eg. recently they have detected an asteroid that will have a 1 in 300 chance of striking earth or passing within a hundred thousand miles in a few centuries... thats about as accurate as they get.

Last edited by president doc on 06-06-2002 at 04:41 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 06-06-2002 04:38 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guybrush
The monkeys are coming!

I'll just say the gate is magical...

Old Post 06-06-2002 07:36 PM
Guybrush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guybrush Click here to Send Guybrush a Private Message Visit Guybrush's homepage! Find more posts by Guybrush Add Guybrush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

The thing is the galaxy itself moves. And as we has never been in this bit of the galaxy. It would seem that it takes awhile for it to get back to the space that say it is now. When thinking about time travel you have to know at what point we are on the arm as well as point point we are in the solar system. Its always easier to have a machine then to do it alone.

Old Post 06-06-2002 09:50 PM
chameleon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chameleon Click here to Send chameleon a Private Message Visit chameleon's homepage! Find more posts by chameleon Add chameleon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

They should have appeared where the stargate was, not in cheyenne mountain.

Especially because if they were to end up in the same point in space, chances are Earth wouldn't even be in that point of space, but across the other side of the sun.

it's stupid.

Old Post 06-08-2002 11:39 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mousie_Grr
I need a psychiatrist?

Just a bit of theory.

If the speed of light was possible then time travel would be possible because for example if you were on a space ship travelling at the speed of light time goes faster on earth than for you because you are moving faster. If wormholes also exsisted then you could watch earth grow older and you would hardly grow older at all meaning you have travelled to the future because then you could step back through the wormhole into the future not a day older but they would be, but you friends on earth could also step into the past by stepping through to you if you were still on the spaceship travelling at the speed of light but this means that timetravel is only possible up to the point at which it is invented so people can go to the future but can only visit the past if the wormhole is still open from that time or else it would be lost and the time machine would have to start from the future for a further away future meaning the previous time before was lost and the time machine was never invented.

Thanx Alyssa x

Sorry I lied its not a bit its alot.

Old Post 06-27-2002 08:16 PM
Mousie_Grr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mousie_Grr Click here to Send Mousie_Grr a Private Message Visit Mousie_Grr's homepage! Find more posts by Mousie_Grr Add Mousie_Grr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!
*NUKED* *
Mousie_Grr
*NUKED* *
jemme
*NUKED* *
Kathania

Re: 1969/2010 plot "oopsie"

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
In the episode "1969", we see SG-1 depart the SGC in the present, travel back in time, and end up in Cheyenne Mountain in the year 1969. The Stargate isn't there in 1969, and the team ends up in the interesting position of arriving in the past at the point of their departure (under the mountain).

In the episode "2010", the warning note is sent back through time via the Stargate, which at that time was located in Washington, DC. The note arrives in the past at the location of the Stargate in the year 2000?not only does it move ten years back in time, it magically transports itself from DC to Colorado as well!

If "2010" had followed consistently with the time-travel effect shown in "1969", the note should have popped out of nowhere and landed somewhere in the middle of Washington, DC, the location of the Stargate in the future.

I can see your point - oops - but as usual we are not meant to think to much about it. There are many oopsies as you call it - we just don't always see them - we might wonder - not thinking any more about it.

And you're right things doesn't measure up there...

Time 1921

"I'm an Air Force officer just like you are, Colonel. And just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside doesn't mean I can't handle whatever you can handle." Carter

Cap. Kathania Kiachar

Old Post 07-02-2002 04:20 PM
Kathania is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kathania Click here to Send Kathania a Private Message Find more posts by Kathania Add Kathania to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msj_Shanks

well the stargate could of had some new details done 2 it so travelers e.g. Joe feel more comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 10-04-2002 10:55 PM
msj_Shanks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msj_Shanks Click here to Send msj_Shanks a Private Message Visit msj_Shanks's homepage! Find more posts by msj_Shanks Add msj_Shanks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Like...?

And what does this have to do with the topic...?

Old Post 10-05-2002 10:08 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brent

i was sitting here just now trying to think up a reason why it's different between the two witht he same phenomen that caused the time travel... and i'm stummped, heh

the only thing i can come with is what someone else said about the 1969 gate being innactive... but then that begs the question, why didn't they then pop outta the antartic stargate, it even has a dhd with it... and the only thing to that i can think of is is when activing the stargate back in the 40's for the first time that 'made' it the default stargate... and to regian the antartic gate as the default one they would have had to first active it.. then they woulda popped out in antartica...

so with the 2010 stargate it did have an active stargate to go to

that's ALL i can think of

Old Post 10-07-2002 03:37 PM
Brent is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brent Click here to Send Brent a Private Message Visit Brent's homepage! Find more posts by Brent Add Brent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bikemancs
See you in January

I agree witht he dead gate theory. It was what I was thinking the whole time I was reading the above posts. ...more later (class now!)

(no class now!) the dead gate makes sense...the stargate has some "fuzzy logic" to it and it probably figured that since there was no active gate at that address in 1969 it would just drop them off where they started.

Now here''s a brain tickler....what would have happened if there had been no Cheyenne Mt facitlity in 1969? would they have been put right into rock or would they have been deposited on the surface? Another question...what was the Cheyenne Mt facility in 1969 (i havn't actually seen the whole 1969 episode so...) maybe someone can send me a copy?

2nd edit was to fix some spelling issues (fuxxy to fuzzy)

I will see you next year because that's when I'll be back on. have a merry christmas a Happy New Year and a good holiday for those of you for whom the above does not apply.

ANUBIS you still have to send me your pic!!!!!!! :angry:

Last edited by bikemancs on 11-02-2002 at 04:53 PM

Old Post 10-29-2002 02:51 PM
bikemancs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bikemancs Click here to Send bikemancs a Private Message Visit bikemancs's homepage! Find more posts by bikemancs Add bikemancs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack's hat
other 1/2 of TeenBrigade

Location: Elven name: Merenwen Loss?helin So I live in the woods

Thumbs up

ditto, If you don't know what that means it means the same or back at ya

Old Post 11-19-2002 05:41 PM
jack's hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack's hat Click here to Send jack's hat a Private Message Find more posts by jack's hat Add jack's hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charlie Carter
1/2 of the Teen Brigade!

ditto means 'the same', but yeah i agree with a lot of peeps and their theorys. You are all way too clever for me!

Bovine Revolutionary No. 23 || Gater || Serious Manic || Amateur Agony Aunt || Love child of Legolas and Venus

Old Post 11-19-2002 05:44 PM
Charlie Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie Carter Click here to Send Charlie Carter a Private Message Find more posts by Charlie Carter Add Charlie Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote