Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Fan Fiction > Symbiots - an incomplete idea
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ayesha

Question Symbiots - an incomplete idea

I had this idea and now I don't know what to do with it. Its a scene from the beginning of a story, but it needs development. Anyone got any further ideas?

SYMBIOTS

The briefing room was full for this small lecture and the analyst looked around nervously at the servicemen, 'and woman' present. He cleared his throat as he stared at the Tok'ra representative at the meeting. If his information was correct, and he had no reason to doubt it, this would be the General that had been joined with the Tok'ra, Selmak. 'At least he will be an ally,' he thought nervously. He cleared his throat again and began to waffle, not what he'd intended at all.

"Parasites have no concept of good and evil. No more than a bacterium that invades a body does it mean to kill or maim its host; this only happens as it's fighting for survival in unfamiliar terrain.

A Symbiot, on the other hand, has won this survival fight because it has found a way for itself and the host to both survive and remain healthy and in harmony." He stopped for a moment and everyone looked at him expectantly, 'except for that Colonel. What is that expression on his face?'

"Does this make the Goa'uld Parasitic or Symbiotic? They do not kill their host so they would seem to be Symbiotic, but they do subjugated the intelligence inhabiting the body, denying it's right to basic freedoms that we all take for granted. They in fact enslave it. This still does not sit with the concept of a Parasite though, as the entity so enslaved still survives. In fact, what we have is a moral and philosophical dilemma."

"Moral dilemma!?" Jack spluttered. General Hammond looked a warning at his impulsive Colonel and Jack subsided.

The scientist looked a little nervously at him, but continued. "The Goa'uld are survivalists in the extreme and wish for total control of their environment. The host they inhabit is this environment. Although this is in conflict with the host's best interests, you still can't say this makes the Goa'uld evil."

"Who can't," Sam muttered and her dad looked over at her and grinned.

"The older Goa'uld have done a great deal of harm during their lives to survive. They have become increasingly intelligent and manipulative of the species they control, including us. This increase in intelligence has not taught them to respect others," he glanced nervously at Jack again, "I understand that they consider us cattle, even though they continue to be dependent on us for their own survival. They don't consider us important because they can always find another species in which to survive."
He took a deep breath. "The Tok'ra, on the other hand," he nodded towards Jacob in acknowledgement of his presence, "have what we consider a truly symbiotic relationship with their host.

The Goa'uld despise them, mainly because their primary goal of survival has been abrogated by their concern for the hosts they choose to share their lives with. They are, after all, the Goa'uld equivalent of the Green Party, or maybe conscientious objectors. Well actually what we would call terrorists if they were fighting us."

Jack snorted and the analyst stumbled again. Sam looked at the table in an attempt to hide the grin Jack's reaction had prompted.

"The Tok'ra consider us as equals, well almost." A smile appeared as he said this, having spoken to a few during his recent research. "Their belief in our right to survive as free individuals weakens their species primary goal of survival." Jack stared at the man in disbelief and he faltered for a moment. "They insist they do not take unwilling hosts. We know this is not totally accurate." At this point he indicated Sam, alluding to her brief alliance with Jolinar.

"The Tok'ra and ourselves consider the Goa'uld evil because their way of life is diametrically opposed to ours, but the Tok'ra are proof that their divided species can survive without enslaving others.

I believe those deliberate acts of evil by the Goa'uld have surfaced and increased with the age and intelligence of the individual. Because of the genetic memories being passed to their offspring, the problems for the rest of us just keep increasing. The Systems Lords are the oldest and strongest and have chosen a path, which makes them inimical to intelligent species that have had the misfortune to cross their path."

Then the Analyst dropped his bombshell, the conclusion he had come to from the facts as he saw them. "We know this, but you must realise that the vestigial Goa'uld on the home world would not yet have taken this path. They do not carry the genetic memory of the original migrants through the Stargate. Their prime motivator will still be survival, not power. So... The Tok'ra should be able to absorb and educate them to their own culture. Although this may prove to be a dangerous path, it would increase their numbers. This would help undermine the power of the Goa'uld and strengthen the Tok'ra."

"You've got to be kidding, right?" Jack drawled sarcastically. "You are suggesting we encourage the Tok'ra, no offence General, to experiment in creating more Tok'ra from their ancestral home!"

"I have to agree with the Colonel," Sam added as she leaned forward to stare down the desk. "With all due respect to my father," Sam glanced briefly at the silent man, "you have to be insane to suggest this."

"They're right," Jacob broke his silence to support his daughter and Jack, "there are a few rather important facts you have missing from your analysis, as Selmak is more than ready to point out. In fact he is incensed," a smile appeared on Jacob's face as he said this and he lowered his head so that Selmak could take control and speak.

WELL HAS ANYONE ANY IDEA OF WHATWOULD HAPPEN NEXT?

Ayesha

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 09-28-2002 09:09 AM
Ayesha is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ayesha Click here to Send Ayesha a Private Message Visit Ayesha's homepage! Find more posts by Ayesha Add Ayesha to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

Well it sounds all right....
Just a question isn't Jacobs symbiot a she???
I liked the story But it needs something more i think in the start of it. It should be stated why the person did the study and what was the goal. And another thing it goes on about the goa'uld and that the tok'ra should intergrate them into there culture what ever then it says that the tok'ra should experiment in creating more Tok'ra from their ancestral home!" It doesn't sound right....
How about the ned result as having something like they make these 'desinger' babies that a few work and turn to be tok'ra as that is how they are made up to be. In nightwalkers season 6 on earth they made symbiots from one goa'uld why couldn't the tok'ra do this???Make symbiots from a tok'ra????

Old Post 09-28-2002 01:28 PM
chameleon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chameleon Click here to Send chameleon a Private Message Visit chameleon's homepage! Find more posts by chameleon Add chameleon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lucyace
For cryin' out loud!

quote:
Just a question isn't Jacobs symbiot a she???

Symbiotes are asexual- niether male nor female

Good start by the way

<--- Just Lucy

MSN: [email protected]
Add me!!

Old Post 09-28-2002 05:12 PM
Lucyace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lucyace Click here to Send Lucyace a Private Message Find more posts by Lucyace Add Lucyace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

Really??????........Well theres something new you learn everyday........then how is there goa'uld queens???

Old Post 09-29-2002 04:17 AM
chameleon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chameleon Click here to Send chameleon a Private Message Visit chameleon's homepage! Find more posts by chameleon Add chameleon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ayesha

I got the asexual nature of the symbiot from Martouf I think. they have a preference for which sex their host is, but its just a preference, not a necessity. Goa'uld queen and their difference has never been explained, except that there aren't many, I think.

When I wrote this I was thinking the problem of the Tok'ras number through (why the Stargate universe limitation) I haven't seen Nightwalkers yet, maybe once I have this piece might find a place in my universe <g>

Old Post 09-29-2002 04:12 PM
Ayesha is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ayesha Click here to Send Ayesha a Private Message Visit Ayesha's homepage! Find more posts by Ayesha Add Ayesha to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

Short continuation:

"I find your opinions quite radical," said Selmak angrily as he raised his head and stared down at the analyst. The analyst swallowed and shifted nervously.

"Damn right! I think it's a crazy idea," said Jack as he leaned back in his chair.

"Your suggestion that the Tok'ra associate themselves with the..... Goa'uld... remaining on the homeworld is repugnant. Personally I would never consider doing it," said Selmak heatedly, his eyes flashing ever so slightly as he ended his sentence.

The analyst nervously cleared his throat and continued.

"Sir, we're not suggesting that you welcome these other Goa'uld with open arms. We're only asking that you consider the possibility of bringing them around to your viewpoint."

"I don't care what you're suggesting. I'm not ready to considering speaking to them at all, much less educating them about our ideals."

Sam leaned over and said, "Why not?"

Selmak turned to her, and there was no fatherly affection in his voice.

"Because we of the Tok'ra do not want to associate with the mindless beings who enslave entire races, hunt us down and kill us like animals, and think that they are good enough to rule the universe." He leaned back, a sour look on his face.

General Hammond turned and regarded Selmak.

(take this and run with it!)

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 10-24-2002 09:19 PM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ayesha

Talking

I like it. It has the same feel as the part I wrote

I guess it would make a good round robin. Anyone else like to give it a go?

Ayesha

Old Post 10-25-2002 07:01 AM
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

"Don't you think that's a little..... chilidsh?" he asked in his deep bass voice, looking intently at Selmak.

Selmak turned to Hammond and regarded him.

"To you it may seem so. But to me, and others in our ranks, it is a perfectly logical concept. If you had been exposed to what the Goa'uld have done to us, you would understand our position."

Jack leaned forward and clasped his hands on the table.

"We're not belittling what you've gone through, Selmak. We just want you to try to reconsider what's going on. You never know - maybe the Goa'uld on the homeworld will actually be interested."

The analyst's eyes widened and he seemed about to speak, but Carter waved him to silence as they all watched Selmak, who stared at Jack.

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 10-25-2002 10:28 AM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote