Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Wierd nationalism? 48h/The tomb spoiler
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

The aschen are ruthless conquerors whatever way you look at it.
They exterminate an entire species and take over their, assets, resources, planets and infrastructure, just because they do it over a hundred years using genetic maniuplation rather than antimatter warheads, doesnt make them any less of a threat or any better... in the end, humans tend to care about individual survival, and survival as a species so if another race is trying to wipe you out...

what can I say?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 08-12-2002 05:58 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

Location: On the potak taking a shitak in the peltak with Selmak on Delmak

I agree. The Aschen are not Boy Scouts by helping Earth with their problems. I mean, doesn't it seem odd that the Aschen's idea of "helping" Earth is to wipe out the majority of its population and then to use the rest of the planet for producing food?
I'd say that's enough to get a little suspicious. And it's not being judgmental, it's being cautious. They had to explore every aspect of their possible alliance to make sure that trust could be established. Obviously, they had reason to question the Aschen's motive. Once that was discovered, they made the prudent choice of not accepting the agreement instead of letting the entire Earth be turned into the midwestern United States.

I have a Vespa and two cats!

Old Post 08-12-2002 07:07 PM
Rithmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rithmah Click here to Send Rithmah a Private Message Find more posts by Rithmah Add Rithmah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

"Self determination is a concept important to us."?Daniel Jackson in 'Enigma'.

The Aschen were directly responsible for the turning of Volian society?a modern, industrial-level race with a civic infrastructure?into a bunch of uneducated dirt-plowin' farmers who gracioulsy diverts much of their crops to feed the Aschen.

Don't dare for a minute imagine the Aschen holds a truly benevolent hand in their offworld affairs.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 08-12-2002 07:10 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

i think a drop in fertility rates might be a good thing (though maybe not to the extent the Aschen were achieving). goverments (like ours) shouldn't try for continued population growth. i mean there's enough problems in this world, hunger, disease, unemployment, overcrowding, war, no use subjecting even more people to it, i say. We need to leern to conserve and control what we already have before aiming for a greater population. I dont see what the bid deal is with continued population growth. (for the same reason, i'm wary about the ethics behind extending human life beyond is current measurement)

Anyway, until the aschen actually DESTROYED the civilisation on that planet, i think they were doing a great job. So in theory.... bah. I just dont think the Aschen were too far off the mark. Had they not been trying to systematically wipe us out, they'd've been a good thing.

Old Post 08-13-2002 02:47 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffa, Kree!
Had they not been trying to systematically wipe us out, they'd've been a good thing.

Kinda like the Goa'uld...?

Last edited by Rithmah on 08-13-2002 at 03:22 AM

Old Post 08-13-2002 03:08 AM
Rithmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rithmah Click here to Send Rithmah a Private Message Find more posts by Rithmah Add Rithmah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

The Goauld: immortal beings of sentience who both attain wisdom and enlightenment through their perpetual lifespan through the eons, as well as carrying forth the whole of that knowledge into their progeny who can seek out their own unique learnings and endeavours...

...if you can get around that "worship me as your god, or you will die slowly and painfully."?mentality that nags them from time to time.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 08-13-2002 04:07 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

I meant that the Aschen thought they had the right to solve our problems, but they didn't.

It's kind of like those programs to help alchoholists and drug addicts.

Apart from that, I think that earth is way to crowded and if were not doing something about it soon, there won't be nothing left to do. Either we go out in space and starts to colonize, or we decrease our population.

Old Post 08-13-2002 04:45 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

finally, people who agree with me....

Old Post 08-13-2002 04:59 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

quote:
Originally posted by 320rwekfpl
...Apart from that, I think that earth is way to crowded and if were not doing something about it soon, there won't be nothing left to do. Either we go out in space and starts to colonize, or we decrease our population.

Yeah, only if the population of Earth had some easy, practical method to travel to other habitable worlds out there in the galaxy, all without the ardors of space travel...

...wait a minute...

Doh!

Yeah, let's bottle up a race of humans who have been free of Goa'uld oppression and influence for thousands of years, who have engendered concepts of liberty and equality in the absence of those heartless rulers, and possess technological innovation and the spirit to crush oppression. Let's thin out their ranks and keep them fat, dumb and happy on one waterborne world while the rest of the galaxy just stands with bated breath for a galactic determinant to arise into the game.

Humanity is gonna bust outta this rock as if a dam had burst.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 08-13-2002 05:07 AM
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

I just don't agree with people who say that Earth can hold like 30 billion people. It's madness...

Old Post 08-13-2002 11:29 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rhemagirl
bendecida

Humans aren't that much different than bacteria-we grow and grow and grow , using up all resources and producing side effects damaging to our environment .

If we continue this we like bacteria will reach a lag phase where we will have used and abused our world so it no longer sustains us and we will die out.

Need a solution to ourselves methinks!

Aiya elenion ancalima!

Old Post 08-13-2002 11:43 AM
rhemagirl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rhemagirl Click here to Send rhemagirl a Private Message Visit rhemagirl's homepage! Find more posts by rhemagirl Add rhemagirl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Its going to level off at 9 billion, whos saying 30 billion?
All the people who dont accept anythings wrong arent looking at the facts, and all the doom sayers are getting too carried away with exactly how much power we wield over our surroundings.
If we keep going as we are, with the population leveling off and innovation in energy production and recycling technologies, we should more than easily sustain our species uptill a point where we can move of this rat infested rock.

Old Post 08-13-2002 11:49 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

There's not a single chance that it will level off at 9 billion. That's just wishful thinking...

BTW; I think that 6 billions is way too much too. So I it wouldn't matter if it stops at 9 billions. Were still stuck in a society were 90% cannot live a decent life. An ideal figure would be something like 250 million people...

Old Post 08-13-2002 01:10 PM
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

hey! That's about the population of the United States! Woohoo! :P

Old Post 08-13-2002 01:46 PM
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

I know that.

Old Post 08-13-2002 04:44 PM