Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > Independence day was originally penned as stargates sequel
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Majson
The Quantum Leaper

i think the speech would have pissed the brits off cos it was very much like a Winston churchill speach (ww2 wartime elader for the uk).

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 03-07-2002 09:41 PM
Majson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majson Click here to Send Majson a Private Message Visit Majson's homepage! Find more posts by Majson Add Majson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

No idea what this thread is about, but I am a pissed Brit.

Old Post 03-07-2002 09:46 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majson
The Quantum Leaper

hmm yes you are......and you're making a very good arse of yourself..yay

Old Post 03-07-2002 10:08 PM
Majson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majson Click here to Send Majson a Private Message Visit Majson's homepage! Find more posts by Majson Add Majson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

All of Roland Emmerich's movies are about America saving the world, even Stargate.

Old Post 03-08-2002 01:24 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

quote:
Actually, I am even more ashamed of the other Roland Emmerich film of American grandstanding called The Patriot.

A film that I loved. Interestingly enough it was not written by Emmerich and devlin who had penned their last three films. It was in fact written by the peeps who wrote Saving private Ryan. In fact The Patriot was supposed to be Emmerich's Saving Private Ryan. It is his most serious film to date. In order of films with serious tones of Emmerichs last five here are my order of most serious to least serious:

1. The Patriot
2. Stargate
3. Universal Soldier
4. Independence Day
5. Godzilla (The Most successful flop ever)

quote:
i think the speech would have pissed the brits off cos it was very much like a Winston churchill speach (ww2 wartime elader for the uk).

Yeah, hom many Brits walked out of the cinema saying, "I totally hateed that Speech as it was blatant plagarism of Winston Churchill's Speech on the 13 of september 1944"..."Yes I do agree with you Charles!" And the answer to that questions is a bag fat, round Zero IMHO. There aint no thing as a Brit. Anyone who calls themself a Brit are total idiots who have some sort of problem with their national Identity...or in some cases (not pointing any elbows) they've been on the bevvy, therefore they don't have a clue as to what they're saying at the current point in time.
quote:
All of Roland Emmerich's movies are about America saving the world, even Stargate.

Bullshit! Bullshit!

1. The Patriot - American militia fight from freedom from the British.
2. Stargate - American Military arrive on another planet and put doubt into a supressed nation of believers in a false god which results in an uprising.
3. Universal Soldier - An American Vietnam soldier killed tries to get home, but is pursued by a crazed Dolph lundgren who has had some weird stuff done to him also.
4. Independence Day - A Jewish man discovers the means to take out an alien craft invading earth, a black man helps out and a drunkard blows the dagger to the heart. The US destroy a few ships and well the rest of the world also pitch in. It is an American movie afterall so they're not gonna make it out to be that the people of Zimbabwee find the computer virus. (Here's an idea for the tagline for ID4-2. "The Aliens are back and this time they have Norton Anti Virus!"
5. And Godzilla...ok America save the world in that one.

I'll give you one for Godzilla and a .3 of a mark for ID4 coz it's a film from a US POV. So out of the 5 Emmerich films I've saw 1.3 of them include the US saving the world. I've not seen Moon 44 so I aint gonna go there

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Last edited by Indiana on 03-08-2002 at 11:14 PM

Old Post 03-08-2002 11:06 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Well, granted, the most shame I felt came from the portrayal of the British dragoons in The Patriot as some late 18th-Century version of Nazi SS Troops.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 03-09-2002 12:40 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

Moon44 - Americans save Earth's mineral resources
Uni Sol - An American war hero protects the world from another
Stargate - Americans save Earth from an alien nuclear bomb
Independance Day - Americans discover, and defeat an alien invasion
Godzilla - Americans discover, and defeat a radioactive monster
Patriot - Americans fight british oppressors for freedom

Old Post 03-09-2002 01:04 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

quote:
Originally posted by Goa`uld
Moon44 - Americans save Earth's mineral resources
Uni Sol - An American war hero protects the world from another
Stargate - Americans save Earth from an alien nuclear bomb
Independance Day - Americans discover, and defeat an alien invasion
Godzilla - Americans discover, and defeat a radioactive monster
Patriot - Americans fight british oppressors for freedom

Stargate - There's loads more Nucler bombs back on Earth, and besides ya think that one nuke would blow up the entire earth? A sizeable chunk, probably just America. America Saves America. But I do see your point. I'd say, America saves a proportional chunk of America rather than the world.

ID4 - I can see how many narrow minded people would see it as America saves the world. However, the rest of the world was also fighting. We saw several montage sequences of the rest of the wrold prepping to attack the aliens and then another of the rest of the world triumphing. If it was just America fighting the aliens then they would never have been able to destroy every spaceship on earth.

Godzilla - The only one I fully agree on this one, except mabye there is the idea that the Americans didn't listen to the the guy who knew how to defeat the race. he had to turn to a frenchy.

The Patriot - Well, lol, Americans do save the day, but they don't exactly save the world.

As for the English behaving like Nazi SS. I disagree. As you would know if you watched the film you would have seen that General Cornwallis did not condone the actions of Colonel Tavington at all. Cornwallis only really asked for Tavington to do what was possible to destroy "The Ghost". In the beginning Cornwallis never really approved of Tavington. Tavington was very much a beast among gentlemen.

One thing that is ever present in Emmerich films is that the underdogs always seem to win eventually or the underdogs contribute to winning. Or maybe the winners in the end are rich in stereotypical minoritues. Watch ID4 and see which lot of people from the Americans actually contribute to the defeat of the Aliens.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Last edited by Indiana on 03-09-2002 at 07:09 AM

Old Post 03-09-2002 06:59 AM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

Actually Ra's intention was to blow up the entire Earth.
However if you do the calculations, a Blast Mark 3 nuke (the one from the movie) multiplied 100 fold with naqahdah would still only be powerfull enough to destroy the area around the mountain.

id4? Bullshit.. it was all about americans! They spotted the ships, they launched the attacks, they discovered how to defeat the aliens.
Who uploaded the virus (lol) ? two americans.
they are clearly the heros of that whole event.

Old Post 03-09-2002 07:05 AM
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

They were "The heroes" but Emmerich didn't just want to see the movie as the US kick butt so they made out that the whole world was involved in the fnal attack and that the whole world had been suffering.

Who did the deeds for the Americans?
David levinson - A jew who worked as a cable TV repair man. Not your stereotypical jew who are usually money grabbing.
Stephen Hiller - A black man. A pilot for the US who couldn't get into Nasa. Probably racially motivated also.
The president - One might I add that was very unpopular. The people believed him to be weak when in the end he proved he wasn't weak.
A drunk - It was a the villiage idiot. This dude was drinking throughout the movie and was being laughed at by all of his freinds for the state he was in.

They may have had the US save the world, but they never used your typical Gung-Ho "Land of The free, home of the brave" siz foot nine fighting machines to do the deed. The two most scrutinized peoples in History, especially from rich powerful countries like America, a Black man and a Jew help save the world after all the world has done to their peoples.

Old Post 03-09-2002 07:17 AM
Goa`uld
Descended God

I don't see how you can argue your point.
When Independance Day came out it was known as "another movie where america saves the day"
this is a fact that everyone knows!!!
independance day is about america saving the world!!! THIS CANNOT BE ARGUED!!
what do you say??? because there was a passing mention that there were spaceships in other parts of the world, that totally negates the whole focus of the movie?
oh give me a break.

And when you think america what do you think? America consists of
- Drunk white people with no teeth
- Smooth Black people in the army
- Obsessive Jews with wierd fathers

Thus the story is about americans saving the world.

Old Post 03-09-2002 07:27 AM
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

I kinda agree with Goa'uld on this one. ID4 in my opinion was all Americian. Maybe because it was from their point of view but I got the impression that it was them that were the big fighting force and it was them that were leaing the whole thing, without them the world would never hve survived.

But then again, all thats a bit true anyway And I still liked the film.

I hated The Patriot. But I hate it because of the truth in it. I mean, it was so hypocritical all the Americian in it were all going "Oh, this is our land and you have no right to rule it at all you nasty brits" while at the same time going "We killed all those babaric Indians, who were here before us,to get this land so it's ours now."

And they fought really stupidly, for God's sake, duck!

Old Post 03-09-2002 07:31 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

quote:
4. Independence Day - A Jewish man discovers the means to take out an alien craft invading earth, a black man helps out and a drunkard blows the dagger to the heart. The US destroy a few ships and well the rest of the world also pitch in. It is an American movie afterall so they're not gonna make it out to be that the people of Zimbabwee find the computer virus.

Look. I said that it was an American movie, but it wouldn't have worked if it was only the Americans uncluded in the fight. You said it was America saves the world. Well, I say it was America, but not "Just" America. I'm looking at the whole picture. One of my favourite parts of the movie for me was the Montage sequences that showed you what happened around the world.
quote:
I don't see how you can argue your point.
When Independance Day came out it was known as "another movie where america saves the day"
this is a fact that everyone knows!!!

That's because your narrow mind can't see the bigger picture.

Old Post 03-09-2002 09:36 AM
Sokar

Screw movies! Can't anyone see George W. Bush is trying to take over the world! Look at it this way, he gets all friendly-like with major superpowers, Britian, Russia, China etc. Then his "War against Terrorism" allows him to send in loads of troops to foriegn countries. He is trying to take over the middle-east and western Asia, then BAM! .. fork in the eye (He attacks his "friends").

But back to movies, I love those disaster movies where the whole world is almost destroyed. Take ID4, big ships over all major cities. Ireland remains OK, they show a map of the world with red where everything is destroyed, Ireland is green. Hell in some films Ireland isn't even on the map. In conclusion, the planet shall soon be run by Ireland as every else will be wiped out by a disaster.

DO NOT INCUR THE WRATH OF THE SPACE CHICKENS!!!

Old Post 03-09-2002 09:56 AM
Sokar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sokar Click here to Send Sokar a Private Message Visit Sokar's homepage! Find more posts by Sokar Add Sokar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Heres an Idea, they should have made independence day from the peruvian point of view, with peru detecting the aliens, and finding the answer, and using their captured alien space craft and high powered nukes stored in their super secret fortress base in the desert, to launch a decisive counterstrike against the mothership, whilst simultaneuously using their mighty airforce to defeat the ships over their country.

yes, that would REALLY WORK!

Old Post 03-09-2002 10:38 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote