Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Why?
Pages (9): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jaffa, Kree!

ANYWAY

The reason i watched the show originally, was because of the film. Loved the concept, loed the characters, and especially love the Ancient Egyptian references. I'm a sucker for TV shows-based-on-movies, so i was already hooked by the end of 'Children of the Gods'.

Why do i keep watching it? Still the original concept, still the Ancient Egyptian references, although these days they are few and far between, but there are usually other interesting cultures explored every now and then.. Not so common these days, but by now i've grown to love a couple of the characters and mytharcs, so i'm happy to watch just for them.

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan (SG-1, Star Wars are about the extent of my Sci-fi viewing) but i dont mind it either, and SG-1 does it really well - it's not in your face, but still cool enough to keep my attention and make me appreciate that side of the show too.

Great writing/acting/directing, as well as the scores, cinematography, SFX, and tight editing, all combine to make it a slick, well made and a visually good quality show.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-05-2001 12:24 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Sigh, just as the conversation was getting interesting...

This is probably blatantly obvious, but at the moment it isn't to me, so I'll post it anyway; So what reason do people have for not likeing SG?!

Old Post 11-05-2001 08:13 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

some people dont watch it as they think any scifi is uncool, dont bother to watch it for themselves and just spout cliches such as stupid looking aliens, or people pressing buttons ...?! Someone did once tell me just that...dont ask me why that stops one from watching a show?! just misguided peeps, aswell as the fact that everyones different.

Old Post 11-05-2001 09:47 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

Yeah, i once recommended Starship Troopers to a friend of mine for two hours of action-packed brain-less escapism.

But, he said "it's a load of crap" when i asked why he said "cos it's just like Star Trek".

That's the trouble with Sci-Fi, there's alot of bad films and shows out there that give it a bad impression.

ash

Old Post 11-05-2001 12:11 PM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Someone I was just talking to said it was crap b/c someone has a chair stuck to his chin... ?!

Old Post 11-05-2001 01:25 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

quote:
posted by Jaffa, Kree!
so i was already hooked by the end of 'Children of the Gods'.

Lol, I was also hooked to it by the end of "Children of the gods". Funny thing about that was I only saw the end. I missed the whole beginning like about 83 mins and tuned in to see the final battle after Skarra had stepped through the gate. Two days later was "The Enemy Within" and I taped it because I didn't want to miss it I didn't want to miss a show I had never seen in its entirety. It sounds crazy.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 11-05-2001 02:26 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

The reason some people I know give is that they refuse to even give it a chance because they didn't like the movie.

Others are convinced that they can't come in to the series in the middle because "they've missed too much" and it'll be too hard to catch up. I mean, how dumb is that? This isn't a soap.

When I tell them they'll have no problems, they usually refuse to listen.

I don't even try to recommend it to those people who refuse to watch it because it's sf.

It's not worth my time to argue with bigots.

But I've talked several people into giving it a try and they're diehard fans now.

Old Post 11-05-2001 05:17 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

quote:
Originally posted by shiloh
Others are convinced that they can't come in to the series in the middle because "they've missed too much" and it'll be too hard to catch up. I mean, how dumb is that? This isn't a soap.

My Dad said that about Band of Brothers on the second episode

Old Post 11-05-2001 05:22 PM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

LOL.

I came to Buffy in Season 4! Talk about working to catch up - now that's a series were characters and plot lines really do come back after years, and it really helps to know the backstory. But I managed.

Old Post 11-05-2001 05:24 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I switched on Sky once when it was showing Serpents Lair, and recognised Skaara from the movie. Any other ep, and I probably woulda changed the channel! Didn't watch COTG till I'd seen most of S3 - I think I got it for my 15th bday of something...

Old Post 11-05-2001 05:35 PM
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

I couldn't remember too much about the Movie when SG-1 first aired. All I remembered was a Pyramid Battle, Animal headed people that looked kewl, the desert, the Stargate itself I could never forget as it was the most amazing effect in the film and that the guy from the movie was in the series (but I was wrong about that).

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 11-05-2001 06:32 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man

I was in a shop one day and spotted a video with "stargate" written on. I picked it up thinking it was the film (i didn't have it back then) but it was The Broca Divide/First Commandment vid. As i hadn't heard anything about an Stargate spin-off series i dismissed it as a quick-buck.

Two weeks later COTG premiered on UK terrestial TV. I decided to watch it and was hooked.

So i went out and bought that Broca Divide vid, and it's become one my personal favourite eppys now for some reason.

ash

Old Post 11-05-2001 10:30 PM
Jaffa, Kree!

Stargate was already my most prized vid amoungst my collection (which was very very small at that point) even before the show had started.

Old Post 11-06-2001 12:57 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KTog

hmmm, I'd have to say my reason for watching it is I just find the show entertaining. SG-1 has a nice mix of action, comedy and adventure. I've gotta say I've been hooked on it since Showtime first ran the pilot episode, and been like an addict looking for his fix ever since. lol, well maybe not quite that bad.

Old Post 11-06-2001 01:48 AM
KTog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KTog Click here to Send KTog a Private Message Find more posts by KTog Add KTog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Ah, denial, another mark of an addict.

Old Post 11-06-2001 08:32 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote