From: s348712@student_SPAM_.uq.edu.au (AndrewR)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.stargate-sg1
Subject: Australian Ratings for Stargate-SG1
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:45:45 GMT

I thought I'd just let the group know - I was reading the paper the
otherday - and for the year 2001... Stargate-SG1 was the 9th highest
rated program for the entire country! Who said Sci-Fi doesn't RATE!
WOOHOO! GO SG1! (The second highest foreign drama too) (I think it was
second - there were a lot of Australian dramas... Always Greener, Blue
Heelers, Home + Away etc)
--
AndrewR
Guardian of Willow's resolve face.

and I was like whoa...you've got to be kidding me. If sg1 gets watched that much here, why do seven still treat it like crap? And why do the reviews say it's a stupid kiddies show in the wrong timeslot? And it gets next to no media attention. The mind boggles I tell you.
So what are the ratings like in the UK and Canada? Anyone know?
And what timeslot is it shown in? It's 8:30pm on thursday nights here in australia...

__________________
"Ah...there he is, the man who floats like a lepidoptera and stings like a hymenoptera."

Old Post 12-08-2001 05:32 PM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: Out keeping the fish in the liffy well fed

It's not even shown here! When it was (only showed season 1 and two *shakes fist at the stupid goverment-runners-on-Net2) it was aired at the very nice time of between 12 and 1 (it varied from week to week). On a Monday. A shagging MONDAY!! I have sky now though so I'm a happy camper

__________________
Virginia was a lot lizard from F.L.A.
She had a compound fracture in the trunk
It started when she ran away, thumbs out on the interstate
She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-08-2001 07:04 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: England Elvenname: Ainari?l Telr?nya

I think Stargate is quite popular over here (UK) but the only people I know watch it are my friends who I have pestered into watching it from my vids! Well, I know a couple of other guys who watch it. Well, one watches the series and the other has seen the movie.

It's shown once a week on Channel 4 (terrestrial; standard channel), for at least half the year (?) and Sky seems to like it. They always show the newest series now, and have started overtaking US showings. They're also showing Series 4 daily... twice...

But I'm interested in ratings too... Does anyone have any UK stats?

__________________
Temptations, unlike opportunities, will always give you second chances.

Old Post 12-08-2001 08:10 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc
Moderator

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: London.

around 1/3 of sky viewers, thats 2 million, watch first runs on wednesday nights....heard that somewhere, not sure

__________________
God, Ive become such a fatty

Old Post 12-08-2001 11:05 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: in a seat next to my computer

i think brad wright said that stargate was a hell of a lot popular in the uk than the us...what can i say were easier to please.... i mean men are drooling over jordan who i think is minging!

__________________
sam and jack

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 12-09-2001 11:57 AM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: South, US

I know I noticed more people's location being the UK more than the US. I don't even have any friends that like SG-1 off line. Only here. But I don't mind comming here to see everyone!!!

Old Post 12-09-2001 08:45 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man
Senior Member

Registered: Oct 2001
Location:

that surprises me about it's more popular in england. most people i know don't really like it, but don't consider it as bad as most other sci-fi.

i've noticed alot of fans are teenagers and those of the younger generation tho.

Old Post 12-09-2001 10:43 PM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: England Elvenname: Ainari?l Telr?nya

Everyone I *know* who likes Stargate is about my age, but then at pics of cons and stuff, they all seem to be ... adult.... and female...

__________________
Temptations, unlike opportunities, will always give you second chances.

Old Post 12-10-2001 07:52 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: in a seat next to my computer

the only friend ive got who watches it is kieghley ...the rest of the peeps i know are my friends parents who watch it...or my mums friends...and my granpa

__________________

Old Post 12-10-2001 12:30 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nug
Melon

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney

I assume keighley is a young teenage girl? :P
My parents leave the room when sg1 is on. Mostly because I make them or they'll ask stupid questions and talk through the entire show
I have however a few male friends who watch it....and a female one. But that 2nd highest foreign rated drama still boggles my mind.

quote:
Everyone I *know* who likes Stargate is about my age, but then at pics of cons and stuff, they all seem to be ... adult.... and female...

I think you could attribute that to RDA and MS. CJ too but to a lesser degree. Think about it, who have the guys got to look at? Carter...and Frasier when she's in the ep. So must of them must be in it for the science *coughanisecough*

__________________
"Ah...there he is, the man who floats like a lepidoptera and stings like a hymenoptera."

Old Post 12-11-2001 04:44 PM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: England Elvenname: Ainari?l Telr?nya

I disagree. I don't particularly fancy anyone on the show, and I still watch it. And I think only one person (out of 5 off the top of my head) watches it, and then only partly because she likes MS (and cried when I told her he was leaving)

__________________
Temptations, unlike opportunities, will always give you second chances.

Old Post 12-11-2001 06:27 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Ash Man
Senior Member

Registered: Oct 2001
Location:

i watch the show cos i like it, not because there's good looking women in it.... but it helps

Old Post 12-12-2001 12:11 AM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: South, US

Indeed, story beats everything else with me. Unless the action or some other element is so great that the story doesn't matter anymore, which doesn't happen very often.

Old Post 12-12-2001 01:17 AM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!
Moderator

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia

i think the reason that the cons have a larger adult participation than what the entire cross-section would have is they are more likely to have a disposable income (or at least make the effort to save money to go to a convention) As to why there are more females - i dunno about that. Could be that there are more males to gawk at (urk), but i see that as just a sad reflection on the PTB's decision that males make better actors in sci-fi and action type tv-shows.. but i wont go into that stupid feminist stuff.. er.. *cough*
Males also seem more suseptable to stigmatism about being a sci-fi fan - it's cool to watch the show, maybe, but it would ruin their tough boy image, and they wouldn't be caught dead going to a 'geeky' sci-fi convention. *shrug*

just speculatin'.

It's good to know that Stargate made it into the top 10 in Aust. Still baffels me as to why it's getting screwed around so much then.. but i have to admit, it's getting better than in previous years. It is in a good time slot tho, at least compared to something like Buffy and Angel.
It's about time channel 7 saw just how popular the show is.

__________________

Old Post 12-12-2001 12:08 PM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nug
Melon

Registered: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney

Oh yeah I didn't mean to suggest people only watch it because of who's on screen. But it helps that the two leading actors on the show are both males. Just my opinion of course.

quote:
only partly because she likes MS (and cried when I told her he was leaving)

aaahahah I got a friend just like that

"Ah...there he is, the man who floats like a lepidoptera and stings like a hymenoptera."

Old Post 12-12-2001 11:38 PM