Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > New Poll: What does the Ninth Stargate Chevron do?
What do you think the ninth chevron on the Stargate does?
Reverses the direction of the wormhole
Sets a timer for when the gate will open
Allows you to jump between multiple gates at one address
Makes the gate look symmetrical
Other option
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Pages (9): « First ... « 7 8 [9]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

Yes, it would have fewer.
1 to be precise....(if they wernt spaced equally)

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-18-2002 07:24 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

Hmmmm. Doesn't sound like a major difference in aesthetic appeal, unless having nine chevrons is signficant in the way the gate works.

BTW, *bumpage*

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 11-18-2002 08:13 PM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duke Enmes?rr
Renegade Serpent Guard!

Now one nows what the 9th Chevron does, but i hope it will all be revialed in the next series!

Old Post 11-20-2002 05:25 AM
Duke Enmes?rr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke Enmes?rr Click here to Send Duke Enmes?rr a Private Message Find more posts by Duke Enmes?rr Add Duke Enmes?rr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thuro

poll needs an Other option

"Atrocity is recognized by victim and perpetrator alike, by all who learn about it at whatever remove. atrocity has no excuses, no mitigating argument. Atrocity never balances or rectifies the past. Atrocity merely arms the future for more atrocity. It is self-perpetuating upon itself, a barabarous form of incest. Whoever commits atrocity also commits those future atrocities thus bred. -the apocrypha of Maud'Dib" -Children of Dune p102, Frank Herbert

Old Post 11-20-2002 06:25 AM
Thuro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thuro Click here to Send Thuro a Private Message Visit Thuro's homepage! Find more posts by Thuro Add Thuro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

Thats what these replies are for

Old Post 11-20-2002 07:15 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thuro

yes, but the fact that there is no "other" or "undecided" option prevents me from submitting to the poll no matter how many posts I make

"Atrocity is recognized by victim and perpetrator alike, by all who learn about it at whatever remove. atrocity has no excuses, no mitigating argument. Atrocity never balances or rectifies the past. Atrocity merely arms the future for more atrocity. It is self-perpetuating upon itself, a barabarous form of incest. Whoever commits atrocity also commits those future atrocities thus bred. -the apocrypha of Maud'Dib" -Children of Dune p102, Frank Herbert

Old Post 11-20-2002 02:27 PM
Thuro is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thuro Click here to Send Thuro a Private Message Visit Thuro's homepage! Find more posts by Thuro Add Thuro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thuro

If the 9th chevron is some miscellanous function like reversing the wormhole or a timer for reactivation (which the poll indicates no one believes) then what does one enter for the 8th chevron when travelling inside our galaxy? does one simply enter the area code for your own galaxy as a redundancy? like in virginia where we are forced to dial 10 digit phone numbers instead of the usual seven? (there are two area codes that overlap as the number of phone numbers has exceeded 10,000,000, thus you must enter 703 or the other one to dial even inside your own area.) Wouldn't this imply the need for a galactic POO? <snicker>(sorry, still only 7 years old at heart) It's for this reason i don't buy these ideas. in any case, it would be far easier for this function to be on the 8th chevron rather than the 9th (or 7th and 8th as we all know the last is the POO). you would simply enter a chevron designated "do nothing" and then proceed to the 9th (8th) to do your galaxy hopping.

I'm far more inclined to believe my origional idea that the extra chevrons simply add an additional wormhole, or wormhole alteration, to the travel and thus the extra distance. In this case, I'll place another idea out. There is no 9th (8th) chevron... yet. Perhaps the Ancients planned ahead for additional expansion of their culture and race and thus added a 9th chevron to the system to allow for such expansion. But as no worlds have been reached out that far, there are no stargates to intercept the incoming wormhole, and all addresses dialed with a 9th chevron recieve a "this number is currently out of service" answer and do not lock.

As a side, anyone ever consider the implications of the fact that the chevron guy says "Xth chevron ENCODED" rather than "Xth chevron ENTERED/DIALED". Why are the chevrons encoded? What code are we using here? A form of Morse for the Ancients? that's my ThinkAboutItForAPinch for the day.

Old Post 11-20-2002 02:44 PM
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

Hmmmm. Your points are valid. I think the reason why you don't need to enter a chevron for travel within your own galaxy is simply because the system 'understands' that you're only traveling within your galaxy. When you use the 8th chevron you're switching the focus to a different galaxy. There isd probably an 8th chevron for our galaxy, but since we haven't had an SG team leave it yet we don't know what it is

I really should've made an OTHER.

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 11-20-2002 08:06 PM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

The 'Other' option is now available.

You made a good point with the 8th Chevron Thuro... I'm unsure how to asnwer that...

In regards to the 'Encoded vs Dialed' thingy - Chevrons, in my understanding, are like keys on a keyboard (well, at the SGC, they ARE keys on a keyborad), and behind the fancy symbol, they are actually just numerical codes... 110001011011 and all that.
The anology of a phone, and hence the term, dialing, I think, was merely a way to help the plebs (like Jack) understand what was going on when the Stargate functioned. Talking about numerical intergers and codes would just result in blanks faces.

So really, 'dialing' the computer is actaully entering a code (or decifering one) - something the Tech guys understand and address accordingly.

Old Post 11-20-2002 09:02 PM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

The thing is we don't have a clue what the show thinks becuase they keep changin the damn minds on how the gate works all the time.

Old Post 11-26-2002 05:59 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

I chose other option;

Dials a different universe, hence moved from our plane of existance.

Old Post 11-26-2002 07:24 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote