Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Jaffa?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
megamorgs

Jaffa?

I have a few questions I hope somebody could answer for me regarding the ubiquitous and apparently useless Jaffa.

1. There seems to be some confusion (especially on my part!) as to whether Jaffa are human or not. Are they modified humans (supported by episode 'Hathor' where Goa'uld of title gives Jack a pouch) or humanoid aliens (supported by many other episodes in which jaffa are referred to as aliens and non-human and whatnot - sorry, no specific examples)
2. Every System Lord has Jaffa, 'undreds of 'em, if not thousands or even more, and every Jaffa has a symbiote, right? AND they can carry multiple...prim'ta?...in their lifetime? So what on Earth happens to all those Goa'uld larvae when they mature? System Lords would outnumber Jaffa!!
3. Were Ra's guards in the movie Goa'uld as opposed to Jaffa? Other than Tok'Ra (don't really count) and Ashrak (?) assassins, what other non-System Lord Goa'uld have we seen?
4. Why are Jaffa so absolutely rubbish and useless in combat with the inability to aim even a staff weapon well and have 'armour' so thin a 9mm bullet penetrates it with ease?

Last edited by megamorgs on 03-07-2002 at 10:45 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 03-07-2002 10:41 PM
megamorgs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for megamorgs Click here to Send megamorgs a Private Message Find more posts by megamorgs Add megamorgs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

1) Teal'c says (in "The Enemy Within") that it was from Tau'ri that beings of this form (humans) were harvested and cast among many worlds. Some became Goa'uld. Some became Jaffa (hence support of the modified human theory). Some became mere slaves.

2) The Goa'uld are most likely very, very picky as to which young Goa'uld are allowed to mature and become implanted in humans. These critters are sneaky and manipulative, remember. Best not to have thousands of Goa'uld climbing the social ladder around in your courtyards, lest a couple of them stab you in the back and take your holdings.

The Goa'uld must undergo an intensive culling, and maybe (random figure here) only 1% of Goa'uld spawned are ever allowed to be implanted. The rest are destroyed.

3) Movie vs. TV-Show. Nope. Not getting into this circus ring again...

4) Simply put, failure on part of the Goa'uld to read that "Top 100 things to Do When You're an Evil Overlord" list floating all over the internet.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 03-07-2002 11:13 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

RH said it all there. Is that all?

Old Post 03-07-2002 11:27 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

the remaining 99% of Goa'uld are served with Ketchup at parties and barmitzfas.

Jaffa are born humans, but get turned into Jaffa when they grow up, like Teal'C's son.

Old Post 03-08-2002 01:20 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Barry
A big honking space gun!

Quite

Right they also eat them.

Old Post 03-09-2002 03:18 PM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Does anyone here remember that episode on sokars planet or something? My guess is, the whole planet was filled with Goa'uld.

Most of them are probably just bog standard folks going about their evil lives being scientists/inventors/doctors furthering the cause of Goa'uld domination.... just because the system lords have been shown to be idiots, that doesnt mean theyre all like that, theyve shown Goa'uld spies, who cant be goaded like system lords, theve shown lawyers, masochistic leather wearing S&M women Goa'uld, weve basically just been shown an insight into the military and top brass of teh Goa'uld, their foot soldiers, the Jaffa, who no doubt are seperated from most of goa'uld society, being their soldiers, defenders, and incubators.

Its like trying to judge humanity by looking at the military and leaders and political parties of the world..... you have to look at the cities, the country side, the people.... would that be a good episode? Where SG1 comes across a planet of Goa'uld? sees a society full of glowing eyes when someone cuts someone off in a traffic jam? Theyd have to infiltrate the planet...hmm. I digress.

Old Post 03-09-2002 03:41 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

president doc is right, and his explanation is very good.

Old Post 03-09-2002 09:27 PM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otis
Egyptaholic

President Doc is ALWAYS right. I have discovered te truth and he is it.

Old Post 03-09-2002 11:52 PM
Otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Otis Click here to Send Otis a Private Message Find more posts by Otis Add Otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flyboy
Cancer cures smoking

quote:
Originally posted by Otis
President Doc is ALWAYS right. I have discovered te truth and he is it.

Oh my god, you have been drugged, that or doc has hypnotized you

I have always gotten the impression from the show, that there are very few Goa'uld.

the jaffa serve the Goa?uld because they believe they are gods, would they still believed it, if they knew there was an entire race of gods/ Gouald walking around.

The jaffa follow them, because the Gou'ald are the unique few who exhibit special powers and so on, but if they found that this was common throughout an entire race, then the jaffa would obviously revolt.

Old Post 03-10-2002 12:02 AM
Flyboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flyboy Click here to Send Flyboy a Private Message Find more posts by Flyboy Add Flyboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

the remaining 99% ones are eaten by the system lords as seen in last stand

Old Post 03-10-2002 04:02 AM
chameleon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chameleon Click here to Send chameleon a Private Message Visit chameleon's homepage! Find more posts by chameleon Add chameleon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

The Jaffa are kept segregated on planets far away from Goa'uld civilisation, they are a race of slaves, fit only to die for their gods.
Chulak for example, even if they are feudal in nature, dont you find it odd that the living conditions on chulak were so basic?
Then there was Sokars planet!

Also, even though a lot of those tykes were eaten to seal the deal, it was stated by danny boy that he didnt want the remenents of thoes things to be shoved down his neck, like kawalskys one, all that was left was its head, but it was still active, if they just shoved the heads back in cryo, they could still probably be used
But yeah, in that eppy, they said population growth has reached zero... the only good thing to come out of that statement is that it suggests theyve reached a peak level, and have reached their maximum stable population level, i.e on earth, that will be when we hit about the 9 billion mark, Im sure there arent about 100 Goa'uld, but more like in the billions.

Last edited by president doc on 03-10-2002 at 08:31 AM

Old Post 03-10-2002 08:28 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gro'thor
Colonel

Personally i love too see the Jaffa in action.Ive seen references that they are stupid or just cannon fodder.This isnt so.Granted there are alot of eps where the Jaffa warriors are just gunned down/blown up but this isnt stupidity.Its loyalty and honour.Moving brave warriors to die for what they belive as gods.Weve see large numbers of Earth tribes and factions just throw there lives away in aid of there beliefs.

Old Post 03-11-2002 11:33 PM
Gro'thor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gro'thor Click here to Send Gro'thor a Private Message Find more posts by Gro'thor Add Gro'thor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otis
Egyptaholic

If there were tons of Jaffa available, why did Hathor steal away jaffa from Poppy and Herur? Remeber she didn't create any of her own until Jack.

Old Post 03-11-2002 11:37 PM
Otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Otis Click here to Send Otis a Private Message Find more posts by Otis Add Otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Because she just came onto the scene after several thousand years of hibernation. Shed lost her entire empire.

Old Post 03-12-2002 08:01 AM
Gro'thor
Colonel

Yeah thats why i was racking my brains!!!

Old Post 03-12-2002 09:11 AM
Gro'thor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gro'thor Click here to Send Gro'thor a Private Message Find more posts by Gro'thor Add Gro'thor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote