Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > General Forum > P90 surpressors
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
missile
i said peanuts

P90 surpressors

i was thinking that SGC personnel are supposed to be covert right?? yet SG1 is running around with these P90's which you could hear 20miles away so i was wondering WHY DONT THEY INSTALL SILENCERS ON THEIR P90's

like this!!!

Hammond said that the SGC cost $7.4bn dollars a year to run im guessing by now the cost might be in the region of $15bn, and yet they cannt be bothered to buy some silencers for their guns!!!

wat ya fink?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-28-2002 11:53 AM
missile is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missile Click here to Send missile a Private Message Find more posts by missile Add missile to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Why would the costs be even higher? a lot of the capital is there, its just extra stuff to buy, or maintain etc.

Anyway, by the time SG1 are using weapons, being covert isnt their main concern, after all its not like they have to be quiet when the hordes of red shirted Jaffa run towards them single file.

Old Post 11-28-2002 11:57 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
missile
i said peanuts

they used them in Thors Charriot but never again

i was just wondering why??

Old Post 11-28-2002 11:58 AM
missile is offline Click Here to See the Profile for missile Click here to Send missile a Private Message Find more posts by missile Add missile to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

They reduce performance and I guess they already have Zats for "stealth", but most of the time they get into firefights, I assume they dont need stealth.

When they do need to use a rifle to assasinate, or if they do need stealth, Im sure theyed all reach into their pockets or Jonas's rucksack and pull some silencers out

Thors Chariot....wasnt that and early season? Im sure they only started using P90's at the end of season 4.

Old Post 11-28-2002 12:13 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
missile
i said peanuts

or some other magical item

Old Post 11-28-2002 12:15 PM
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

In order to be really effective, a suppressor must be used with subsonic ammunition...

...Which reduces both the effective range and penetration of the weapon (Unless you're firing .45ACP which is already subsonic.)

Also, most add-on suppressors degrade the accuracy of the weapon and burn out quickly under automatic fire, let alone posing a danger if it's can or baffling obstruct the bullet and the bullet dumps its energy into trying to remove the suppressor...

So...

For the use they were intended (quieting single, aimed shots or a series of short bursts close to other enemy forces that aren't alerted yet...), they're fine. For general issue, they aren't practical.

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 11-29-2002 02:29 AM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duke Enmes?rr
Renegade Serpent Guard!

Yeah the silencer on any gun dose hamper the stopping power of the bullet. AT the price of power u get the hit!

Old Post 11-29-2002 05:18 AM
Duke Enmes?rr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke Enmes?rr Click here to Send Duke Enmes?rr a Private Message Find more posts by Duke Enmes?rr Add Duke Enmes?rr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

I was just waiting for Deathbunny to come and clear this threa up .

Old Post 11-29-2002 06:06 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

isn't there already an sg team for covert ops? and sg-1 use zats as more effective stealth weapons.

Old Post 11-29-2002 07:48 AM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
missile
i said peanuts

cheers Deathbunny *thumbs up*

Old Post 11-30-2002 12:42 PM
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Should the fact I know all this stuff worry me?

*smirk*

FN's US site has data on the standard and subsonic rounds in case anyone's interested...

www.fnmfg.com

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

Old Post 12-02-2002 05:16 AM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Try using a silencer in a hermetically sealed atmosphere, like a spaceship...

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-02-2002 05:42 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

OK...

A supressor slows and controls the expansion of the gases produced by the propellent, reducing their velocity and dissipating their energy against the gases and the elements of the suppressor.

A hermetically sealed spacecraft would either be over or under the standard pressure (which might either increase or decrease the suppressor's efficiency while either increasing or decreasing the risk of a catastrophic failure of the supressor/weapon or decreasing it...)

Air, unlike most hydraulic systems like water and oil, has quite a lot of compressability depending on the starting pressure and the displacement of the airmass/room/chamber.

So...

In a small, overpressured room you'll probably get a mosr effective sound suppressor by a tiny bit as the increased friction/resistance of the denser air retards the bullet's velocity and the gases while risking increased pressures inside the weapon.

With the P90 being a spring-resisted blowback design, you might risk harder wear, an increased rate of fire, potentially more severe recoil, and possibly a catastrophic failure of the recoil springs.

In a larger displacement area, the compressability of the air would probably mitigate most of the pressure problems, possibly only increasing the effectiveness of the suppressor (as listed) and maybe a little more wear and tear.

In a larger lower pressure area, the report would probably be louder because the decreased resistance on the bullet decreases the amount of time availible for the exhaust gases to be diverted into the suppressor and then slowed resulting in the gases escaping faster than normal situations permit.

Muzzle velocities would also be higher in the less dense air, potentially allowing a high subsonic round to slip out a bit faster and make a nice sonic crack...

After the shooting, in a close-in space (assuming all this time that it's not a high O2 environment that caught afire when you started shooting...), yuo'll have to deal with some of the bi=products of the propellents in the air (Carbon-compounds, sulphur compounds, others...) until whatever cleans the air does.

(As long as it isn't some of the cheap AK rounds that smell like sh**... *smirk*)

Old Post 12-02-2002 05:42 PM
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Don't mean to double post...

Just saw something earlier...

Most military MP5's use a muzzle fixture that is readily usable with a sound suppressor and subsonic rounds are availible and function pretty well in them, so I've read and been told.

The Berretta, however, requires a different barrel to be installed (easily done in the field if the barrel/locking piece is on hand) and either a recoil-boosting type of suppressor to deal with lower powered subsonic rounds, higher pressure subsonic rounds, or it becomes a single shot repeater that needs the slide cycled manually.

Add into the mix that, compared to many other designs, the Berretta is inherently a weaker design when it comes to handling recoil forces or out-of-initial specifications chamber pressures and you see why the US military developed a different pistol (The Mk 23 Mod 0 OHWS) for use when a suppressed pistol is a primary need...

Not only is the Mk 23 in .45 ACP (an already subsonic round), but it comes with a suppressor that can be set in one of six ways to offset it's disturbance of the bullets trajectory and is on a seriously overbuilt pistol...

The P90 from the table here:

http://www.fnmfg.com/lawenf/ss190/ss190.htm

Subsonic P90 rounds drop the quoted effective range from 200m to 50m...

Old Post 12-02-2002 06:08 PM
DaveB

Here's my P90 http://www.teamkgb.co.uk/kit/p901.jpg

Old Post 12-03-2002 11:35 AM
DaveB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DaveB Click here to Send DaveB a Private Message Visit DaveB's homepage! Find more posts by DaveB Add DaveB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote