Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Why did the Ancients build the gate system?
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
HerbieZ

I gotta huge image in my mind of stargates being made and them being ring-tossed onto a rack on a ship ready to be thrown on a passing planet. I also see a disgard pile full of defunct stargates, one of them is triangle.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-08-2002 08:13 PM
HerbieZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerbieZ Click here to Send HerbieZ a Private Message Visit HerbieZ's homepage! Find more posts by HerbieZ Add HerbieZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

urr..no. The ancients built the gates, anything else is just too much speculation, I might aswell say that captain picard and Captain hunt went to the stargate universe and did it and their offspring became humanity... theres a limit to speculation.

Its been said the ancients were the gate builders.. im sticking to that.

Old Post 12-08-2002 08:14 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerbieZ

Im not saying that the stargates wern't built buy the ancients that's proven.

Old Post 12-08-2002 08:31 PM
HerbieZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerbieZ Click here to Send HerbieZ a Private Message Visit HerbieZ's homepage! Find more posts by HerbieZ Add HerbieZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

i'd say that yeah, they did it for the more primitive races and a way to make communications and travel between planets and galaxies easier for the 'young' and 'old'

Old Post 12-08-2002 09:21 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Gawd I really hate this idea that the ancients built this HUGE network of gates for races of aliens that theyd never meet in some unspecified time in the future!

Old Post 12-08-2002 09:36 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingless Flyer

Maybe it was simply for transport, like the Romans who built roads (some of which still survive) all over Europe and the Med.

It would make sense...

Old Post 12-08-2002 10:32 PM
Wingless Flyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingless Flyer Click here to Send Wingless Flyer a Private Message Find more posts by Wingless Flyer Add Wingless Flyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffa
why, it fits the profile of most of the advanced races we have seen, striving for the betterment of the younger races

When did we ever see this?

Old Post 12-08-2002 10:56 PM
Mister Oragahn

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
No, the stargate would be faster than ship travel, which is why they would have built the system over hundreds/thousands of years.
All they would need in such a vast program both in time and scale would be a series of automated ships programmed to go to hundreds of thousands of planets each.... and drop off a gate pack when in the system which would then plant a gate on each planet... or perhaps the ship would beam a gate a long distance onto the planet.

Completely automated and with hundreds of ships and a well worked out system and route, whole galaxies could be seeded in hundreds of years... nothing in the timescale of what weve seen to be the aliens of stargate.

When the gates were made, the ancients could have been on the Asgard level of today... which seems to be the case given the scales of techbnology we see in use i.e time traps the size of planets etc.
In that case, it would take them a few hours to travel between galaxies by ship, but travel anywhere between gates would be instantaneous.

That's a sound idea.

Now, there's also the possibility that the ancients had a way to boost up the gate travel (time distorsion for example).

Aside note : Maybe the ancestors of the Asgard were the Ancients ?
Remember that in one of the episodes, we saw that the Asgards were keeping an older form of Asgard which was far more humanoid and tall than the actual ones.

Old Post 12-09-2002 12:47 AM
Mister Oragahn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mister Oragahn Click here to Send Mister Oragahn a Private Message Find more posts by Mister Oragahn Add Mister Oragahn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

MO, no, the az'gard and the ancients are different races, i only need to say this: The Fifth Race, and the ancients are not the only ones capable of making gates, we know that together the nox and the tollan were able to make a gate out of something that don't look like naquada.

Old Post 12-10-2002 12:06 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

don't look like naquada.
No-one knows whether it looks like naquada or what cos no1 knows how many forms naquada can take. Or it might even be coated in another metal. Or maybe they just wanted it t look distinctive.

When do they say with the help of the Nox?

Aside note : Maybe the ancestors of the Asgard were the Ancients ?
That thing was humanoid, the Ancients were human.

Old Post 12-10-2002 03:28 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy
*NUKED* *
Roy
Speaker-Second Foundation

I don't think that the rationale "striving for the betterment of the younger races" is likely. That would be based on assumptions such as: 1) The ancients care, and 2) The ancients were able to predict which planets would (in the future) support races that could use/figure them out. Remember, humans are the only underdeveloped race that can use the thing so far. So if the Ancients intended to better all these younger races, then they've failed thus far.

Ships and gates have one common function... transportation. However, they have very different purposes. Ships are not made mearly to move people, they move armaments, food, equipment, people, etc. Ships do this very efficiently, more so than a gate.

Gates are small in comparison, and were obviously designed to transport people and small amounts of stuff. If you're going to start a colony, you don't use a gate, you use a ship... but if you want to simply travel (vacation, business, etc.) to another world, you use a gate - not a ship, because that would be inefficient. I can just see it - Thor wants to take a vacation on that tropical world, so he jumps on a warship and soaks up the sun... NOT LIKELY!

Last edited by Roy on 12-10-2002 at 10:03 PM

Old Post 12-10-2002 08:44 PM
Roy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Click here to Send Roy a Private Message Find more posts by Roy Add Roy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

If the tollan were able to do it by themselves they would have, however given that the nox are at the same technological level as the tollan (The guy who used to play quark in DS9 said so, i can't remember his name) i would say the advantage the nox have is actually having known the ancients, unlike the tollan.

Old Post 12-11-2002 12:19 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

huh? the Nox are far beyond the Tollan.. theyre one of the big 4! what the hell does Armin Shimmerman know anyway?

The Nox are FAR beyond the Tollan.... so far its not even funnay.

Old Post 12-11-2002 12:26 AM
Man of less sorrow

Is that the name of the fuzzy hair guy? The nox would only help the tollan coz they were on the same tech level, and the nox haven't exactly been searching for new tech, like the people of the sentinel planet, they are searching for the meaning of life, not through the pursuit of scienctific knowledge but by searching the mind. And can u give me some evidence to suggesty why the nox are beyond the tollan? I mean one shot from their Ion Cannons used to be able to wipe out a goa'uld fleet, according to High Chancellor Travell anyways.

Old Post 12-11-2002 12:29 AM