Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Small Victories Question (May include spoilers)
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

Small Victories Question (May include spoilers)

ok folks here is the question. i was looking at this photo from Small victories, and i noticed something in the bottom left hand corner. It looks like the Asgard have some sorta docks for ships(water). Now this got me wondering what the Asgard are doing with docks for ships that move on the water. I cant see a reason for them. So if any one has an idea what they may be please lets here it. thanks.

Albert Einstein

Last edited by Jaffa on 11-18-2002 at 04:33 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-18-2002 11:27 AM
Jaffa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa Click here to Send Jaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa Add Jaffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Barry
A big honking space gun!

* Totally ignore this post

Last edited by Barry on 11-19-2002 at 08:15 PM

Old Post 11-18-2002 03:53 PM
Barry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barry Click here to Send Barry a Private Message Find more posts by Barry Add Barry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

Ok, assuming that is water there, as a few threads here lately have pointed out, the Asgardr (that's for RH) must have some social life; some fun; sports, whatever. Maybe they go water skiing? Or large ocean cruises? Thor in a speedo? Hmmm...

Old Post 11-18-2002 04:28 PM
Jonas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonas Click here to Send Jonas a Private Message Find more posts by Jonas Add Jonas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

If your planet is covered with water, how else are you going to use that to your own purposes?

What if they have underwater cities used to extract natural resources from beneath their seas? It'd be much easier to use oceangoing ships rather than spacecraft to move below the waves.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 11-18-2002 04:50 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy
Speaker-Second Foundation

But, assuming that antigrav works the same in water and out, there shouldn't be a difference between oceangoing ships and spacecraft. I mean, wouldn't it be cool if they used the same tech for all types of craft: space, atmospheric, water, etc.

It does seem strange to imagine an Asgard bobbing around in a boat.

Check out the beach! do you think they suntan?

Old Post 11-18-2002 05:19 PM
Roy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Click here to Send Roy a Private Message Find more posts by Roy Add Roy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

hey yeah thats a good point Roy mabye that would explain why the clones look diffrent, some of them Suntan

Albert Einstein

Old Post 11-18-2002 05:27 PM
Jaffa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa Click here to Send Jaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa Add Jaffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonas

G-Strings? Hmm I better not spend too much time thinking about that. But I agree I think the same technology would be used for all craft.

I know it looks like a beach and water, but I'm still not convinced it is. Can't tell alot from this picture, but could it even be like a stock pile of something (used Replicator parts - ha ha haaa) and those are bridges out over it all??

I guess we'll never really see the Asgard society indepth; the writers seem to have cemented the fighting/warring aspect of them - pity.

Old Post 11-18-2002 05:28 PM
Jonas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonas Click here to Send Jonas a Private Message Find more posts by Jonas Add Jonas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Sorry, but spaceships and seaships are different breeds of cat.

One's going to try and keep air pressure from exploding out into the vacuum of space. The other is going to withstand water pressur from collapsing in.

The resistance that a spaceship is going to handle is insignificant?no drag in outer space. A seaship or submarine has to go through a fluid that is incompressible.

A spaceship is going to be constructed to be as light as possible. A seaship is going to be purpose-built to withstand currents and wave motion, and be of a much heavier construction.

Sure, you can build a craft that does both jobs, but would you really want to ride in a vessel whose performance in the medium you're moving in takes second-place to something that was dedicated to operate in that same mode?

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 11-18-2002 06:01 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

Ok i agree with u RH on the idea that Spaceships cant do the jobs of submersibles. But back to the idea that the Asguard world may be a water world. Wouldnt it be easier for them to just use their transporter technology than to build a boat to move from the ocean floor to the surface. It seems more practical to me than ships would be.

Albert Einstein

Old Post 11-19-2002 04:06 PM
MajorSam
The Bad Girl

i would love to see Thor inviting Sg-1 to a beach party and they go... i can see it now i also agree with RH.

BSF
HRADP!!!

Old Post 11-19-2002 07:41 PM
MajorSam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MajorSam Click here to Send MajorSam a Private Message Find more posts by MajorSam Add MajorSam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
Sorry, but spaceships and seaships are different breeds of cats

He he he. Yes you are right, but did u ever think that one such as you Jaffa cannot question the things the Az'gard do, i mean, if Freyer were a bit of a bitch when O'Neill was second guessing him he would have said: OK, now who's mastered Quantum Physics? And jaffa keeping with what RH said if they are mining something did it occur to you that there are things that can't be transported through???

Old Post 11-20-2002 04:24 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
now who's mastered Quantum Physics?
*draws attention to Enigma* Advanced civilisations have made quantum mechanics obsolote.

Old Post 11-20-2002 07:13 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
now who's mastered Quantum Physics?
*draws attention to Enigma* Advanced civilisations have made quantum mechanics obsolote.[quote]Ha'taks can move underwater. And they'de be great for it. Being able to explore the deppest craters because of the pressure resistant design of the pyramid(as long as it remains uncompromised)

Old Post 11-20-2002 07:14 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

quote:
Originally posted by _.:?nubis:._
did it occur to you that there are things that can't be transported through??? [/B]

Actually Anubis we know the Asgard transporter technology works through water. If u remember the Episode small victories ull know that jack and Teal'c, where both transported off a Russian Sub that was submerged to Thors ship in orbit.

Albert Einstein

Last edited by Jaffa on 11-20-2002 at 06:20 PM

Old Post 11-20-2002 12:43 PM
O'Neill
Spam King since 1983.

This Harbour/Marina might not be in use anymore.

I agree that a Space Vessel and a Sea Vessel are designed diffferently. But if an Asgard vessels shields can with stand the pressure of a directed energy weapon then they can with stand a little water.

Old Post 11-21-2002 07:07 AM
O'Neill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for O'Neill Click here to Send O'Neill a Private Message Find more posts by O'Neill Add O'Neill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote