Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Fan Fiction > How To Write Bad Fanfic In 10 Easy Steps
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

How To Write Bad Fanfic In 10 Easy Steps

HOW TO WRITE BAD FANFIC IN 10 EASY STEPS

1. Always use clich?s. Fanfic readers prefer their fiction to be comfortable and familiar. Coming up with innovative plots twists and new interpretations of the
characters only confuses them.

2. Don?t watch too many episode of the actual show. Base your fanfic on other fanfics, not the show. Remember, if you?ve actually seen the show, you might come up with fresh twist, or realistic characterizations. This would not help you achieve that derivative feel a bad fanfic writer strives for.

3. Don?t forget your best friend - Mary Sue. What could be more entertaining than having a ridiculously idealized version of the author taking center stage and elbowing everyone else out of the way. Geez, you?d think readers actually want to read about their favorite characters instead of you. Don?t listen to the critics, it?s YOUR story, make it all about YOU.

4. Exposition! If you want to advance the plot, don?t bother wasting time with character development, interior dialogue, or actually writing those pesky action scenes. Just have someone show up out of the blue and explain everything in detail. Don?t bother to create an actual character or anything. All Ms. or Mr. Exposition needs to do is pop in, say their piece and get out.

5. Ah Romance! Everyone knows that if a show has one male and one female character they should get together and live happily ever after. Forget mundane realities such as compatibility and sexual chemistry. Ignore obstacles such as the chain of command. And, if you lack any experience of your own to guide you, just have the characters act like they?re in a Harlequin novel. So what if it?s Sci-Fi actioner featuring hard-ass military personnel trying to save the galaxy, nothing is more important than their love, damnit!

6. Plotting, who needs it. Structuring a story so that it has a beginning, middle and end is just so old fashioned. Don't worry about resolving the main conflict or wrapping up any loose ends. Start to write, keep going until you get bored, then quit.

7. Series! If one story is good, than 25 are better. You don?t have to go to the trouble of thinking up a new plot for each installment. Simply change the location and the minor character?s names and have them repeat the action over and over and over again. This saves both time and effort and doesn't strain the readers' imagination.

8. Songfic! What could be more plausible than to have a 45 year old character listen to the latest crappy song from some flavor of the month boyband and muse on how it really captures the essence of his romantic situation. Sure he?s your father?s age, but that?s no reason to assume he doesn?t have the same taste in music as a 14 year old girl. Remember, song lyrics are a fine substitute for dialogue, action and/or plot.

9. Crossover! Feel free to combine your two favorite shows. It doesn?t matter if they inhabit two mutually exclusive genres (i.e. Sci-Fi/Soap Opera), or that the shows take place during different historical eras. I can't think of any reason why 'Dawson's Creek' and 'Star Trek Voyager' wouldn't be a perfect mix. So go ahead, do that 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' - 'Bugs Bunny' crossover, and don?t make it a parody!

10. Style is Everything. Be creative. Spell the character?s names differently every time, get your physical descriptions wrong (i.e. Buffy a brunette, Spike a redhead). Start the story in the present tense, then switch, without explanation, to an extended flashback. Typos, grammatical errors and run-on sentences are perfectly ok. Or, my personal favorite, never use anyone?s name during dialogue, so that it?s virtually impossible to figure out who said what. After all, you?re not getting paid for this! Readers shouldn?t expect clarity and consistency from you.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-17-2001 08:51 PM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

rofl! I'll try to keep that inmind whenever I write anything.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-17-2001 10:20 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

I'm glad I amused you. If I can prevent just one songfic my life will not have been lived in vain.

Old Post 12-18-2001 12:30 AM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skydiver

LOL jojo.

here's one you can add to the list.

11. at any time pleas feel free to take a story from one fandom, search adn replace the names ane change it to another fandom. i mean we all know that there are only two real characters in existance and i see no reason why a west wing fic can't take place in cheyenne mountain and star the sg folk?

Let Them Eat Cake!
http://www.geocities.com/letthemeatcake2002/index
Where in the World is George Hammond?
http://www.geocities.com/witwigh/index
The Gatereview
http://www.gatereview.net/
Interested in a Virtual SG-1 Season 6?
For more info go to: http://www.spacemonkeys-gate.com/vs6/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Hey, Anubis, this is your agent. You're playing it way over the top, can you get serious please?'

Old Post 12-18-2001 12:52 AM
skydiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skydiver Click here to Send skydiver a Private Message Visit skydiver's homepage! Find more posts by skydiver Add skydiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

Good one Skydiver, I wish I'd thought of that.

Old Post 12-18-2001 12:56 AM
neith

You left out the cosmic orgasm cliche

no wait that's slash isnt it?

Old Post 12-19-2001 01:21 AM
neith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for neith Click here to Send neith a Private Message Visit neith's homepage! Find more posts by neith Add neith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mor

LOL JoJo....seen those in a few Fanfics.

Naive me wants to know what 'shipper' means?

Old Post 12-19-2001 01:50 AM
Mor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mor Click here to Send Mor a Private Message Find more posts by Mor Add Mor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

Mor a shipper is someone who believes that the characters are or should be in a relationSHIP. Hence the term shipper.

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, they're really stretching. For example: Sam and Jack, two people with nothing in common and absolutely no chemistry, also, they'd wreck their careers. Despite the facts a lot of people seem to think that they're an ideal couple. To make it even worse a lot of fanfic writers seem to have based their characterizations on Harlequin novels. Heliopolis is full of S/J badfic. Read at your own risk.

Old Post 12-19-2001 01:56 AM
president doc

well, despite the fact that im rather apathetic on the issue, I wouldnt say there was nothing there, I mean theyre out there on the frontier nearly killing themselves every fortnight, and saving each others arses! quite close, even the least likely people to get together would probably have some sort of fling...you know, roll around in the mud on chulak just to get rid of that tension...in the shoulder muscles!

And all this stuff about having things in common is all bull tosh theyre both in the bleedin airforce working to save earth, have a great love for the stargate program, just cos one likes fishin and the other likes wormhole physics! sometimes, you people

of course therest he chain of command, and the rules, having said that, they are human beings, and human beings do stupid things!

However, for the sake of the show, they shouldnt get togther.

Old Post 12-19-2001 11:18 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

President Doc you obviously haven't read the same fanfic I have. I think I snapped after reading one that had Jack commiting suicide because Sam married Joe.

The man didn't off himself when his son died or his wife left him. Why should he pack it in just because a co-worker (not even someone he dated) tied the knot. He wasn't suicidal when he thought he was permanently stranded on Edora. He didn't waste anytime moving in with Laira.

That and I agree with Gazmaster.

Last edited by JoJo on 12-20-2001 at 02:15 AM

Old Post 12-19-2001 01:07 PM
president doc

im not talking about fan fic, im just saying that people who outright say that its not possible as theyre 'too different' or the COC is in the way, well, therye just as etched in their ways as those darned pesky shippers, I always choose the middle path, i.e, dont want them doing it on the show, but its not like it couldnt happen in real life..(I use that term lightly ) after all, theyre just human.... having said that, im just human and it never seems to happen to me

Old Post 12-19-2001 01:45 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

quote:
Originally posted by JoJo
I think I snapped after reading one that had Jack commiting suicide because Sam married Joe.

Rofl! I laughed out loud when I read that! But, you hate shipper (so, you have taste) when do you read this facfic then?

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-19-2001 06:52 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

cosmic orgasm..? whats that?
whats an orgasm? whats cosmic damnit?!
(actually, I have a pretty good idea, I just wanted a legitimate reason for typing ORGASM!!!! , that and I wanted to start a debate on what a cosmic orgasm was... )
did I mention orgasm?!

Old Post 12-19-2001 09:06 PM
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

Here's a good article on the Chain of Command issue. Its by Janis Cortese, at http://www.sg1hc.com/dadtcoc.shtml

She makes some good points about fics. Warning, the article contains some language and is a bit graphic, it also mentions slash.

Old Post 12-20-2001 03:44 AM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

.....Although I do take offence at songfic or filk being slammed (I happen to think it can be very funny.....

LOL.

Old Post 12-24-2001 05:42 PM
Skip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skip Click here to Send Skip a Private Message Visit Skip's homepage! Find more posts by Skip Add Skip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote