Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Why did the Ancients build the gate system?
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MPH

Why did the Ancients build the gate system?

If they where highly advanced beings that could obviously travel to other planets by ships, then why build the gate system?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-07-2002 10:48 PM
MPH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MPH Click here to Send MPH a Private Message Find more posts by MPH Add MPH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerbieZ

Im thinking what the ancients had in mind when they built these stargates was the fact that the people of the planets they put the stargates on would discover them and meet other worlds and trade knowledge and build friendships ,etc etc.

Old Post 12-07-2002 11:14 PM
HerbieZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerbieZ Click here to Send HerbieZ a Private Message Visit HerbieZ's homepage! Find more posts by HerbieZ Add HerbieZ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Why go through the pain in the ass to get in a spaceship and go, when you can simply dial it up and walk?

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 12-07-2002 11:38 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

clearly from the last 6 years of stargate, we can see that theres adcantages to both systems.

Thats why the SGC has come out with the promethius now, and thats why they will still use the gate as the other races do.

Old Post 12-07-2002 11:47 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

The ancients must have had a way of travelling that was really fast, otherwise they would never have been able to plop the gates on other planets, and only a handful of planets had ancient colonies, like the one with the Anubis' weapon or the one with the loop device, or the Prometheus planet, i therefore guess that the ancients built the gates for lower life forms!

Old Post 12-08-2002 01:01 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

No, the stargate would be faster than ship travel, which is why they would have built the system over hundreds/thousands of years.
All they would need in such a vast program both in time and scale would be a series of automated ships programmed to go to hundreds of thousands of planets each.... and drop off a gate pack when in the system which would then plant a gate on each planet... or perhaps the ship would beam a gate a long distance onto the planet.

Completely automated and with hundreds of ships and a well worked out system and route, whole galaxies could be seeded in hundreds of years... nothing in the timescale of what weve seen to be the aliens of stargate.

When the gates were made, the ancients could have been on the Asgard level of today... which seems to be the case given the scales of techbnology we see in use i.e time traps the size of planets etc.
In that case, it would take them a few hours to travel between galaxies by ship, but travel anywhere between gates would be instantaneous.

Old Post 12-08-2002 09:56 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

While the gates might have been faster over long distances, it would have been only marginally. The Asgard can cross the Milky Way in about the same time as a gate.

Old Post 12-08-2002 10:21 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

When I want to go to paris, I would prefer not to fly there by plane, Id go by train... Why drive all the way to an airport through traffic, spend an hour getting there, and hour checking in, taxying on the run way, taking off, taking a big bent route, circling to land, landing, parking, checking out, and going through traffic just to get to the centre of paris...

Alternatively I could just take the underground to waterloo, stroll onto the train, ride it through the channel tunnel into the centre of paris and walk off right where I wanted to be.....

Thats the mentality behind the gates... Besides, no matter how many ships you have, you can never hope to match the kind of travel options granted by a set of tens of millions of fixed gates per galaxy, it would open travel upto everybody! and you wouldnt have to be bound by routes or ship timetables, and huge resources of moving a ship just to go somewhere, you just dial up and go see aunty olive in the Kalium galaxy.

Also, it would take a few hours to travel between galaxies, perhaps a few minutes within galaxies, in Thors chariot, we see it takes only a short time, this would probably be as Thor was patrolling "near by"... regardless, the speeds of the Asgaard have been shown more in recent times and most recently with Thor saying it would take "many hours" with the promethius in tow... so Im guessing just a few hours without it in tow.

Old Post 12-08-2002 10:40 AM
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

maybe their allies at the time helped with the distribution of the gates for 'the young to learn'?

Old Post 12-08-2002 12:37 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Im guessing that the Ancients are far beyond the Asgaard, I mean they gate system was made millions of years ago?

Just because a loose alliance was formed between these hyper powers x-thousand years ago, doesnt mean that they all are/were equally powerful.

Look at the kind of alliances earth has formed etc.
No, Id stick with the "lets make lots of gates and have a good time righty ho!"

Old Post 12-08-2002 03:00 PM
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

i find it more likely that the gates were for either getting to other planets to collect resources, or mabye they were just for other races, but if i had the technology to build them and put them every where, then why not?

Albert Einstein

Old Post 12-08-2002 03:37 PM
Jaffa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa Click here to Send Jaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa Add Jaffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Naa, resources schmesources, you have large ships to do all that kind of stuff...

This would be good for just travelling where you want when you want without excess waste.

I need to travel from my seat in my room in London to Lairas bedroom on p4x747 or wahtever it was... what do I do?

click click click... beamed up from my seat, my "beaming" is sent through the gate and I materialise in her bedroom et voila!

Old Post 12-08-2002 03:42 PM
Jaffa
U all go squish now!

well that would be handy, then again mabye they were explorers, or they just wanted to go werever they wanted when ever they wanted, the Gates are useful transportation to get to a planet to take ur vacation on

Albert Einstein

Old Post 12-08-2002 03:54 PM
Jaffa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa Click here to Send Jaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa Add Jaffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingless Flyer

To know why would mean that we in some way understand them, which is we don't, it's thankfully one of the mysteries still left in SG.

Old Post 12-08-2002 04:23 PM
Wingless Flyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingless Flyer Click here to Send Wingless Flyer a Private Message Find more posts by Wingless Flyer Add Wingless Flyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lnt.kaos
Grrrrrr!

we don't know the was the ancients that put the gates on all the planets perhaps the gou'ald found the ancients' gate build factorys and thought that i was easer to ship slaves thought the gates than on a ship

Old Post 12-08-2002 08:10 PM
Lnt.kaos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lnt.kaos Click here to Send Lnt.kaos a Private Message Find more posts by Lnt.kaos Add Lnt.kaos to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote