Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > God?
Pages (8): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

Just as an infantile response: Whose god is dead: Answer: not Mine

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-17-2002 10:32 PM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
Just as an infantile response: Whose god is dead: Answer: not Mine

Yes, intensely infantile.

Old Post 11-17-2002 10:35 PM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

But u see my point. The use of gods in mythology is not an objective source, the will of people determines whether the god is evil, or good.

Old Post 11-17-2002 10:38 PM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

And that determines the mythology. Either by cultists or official priests.

No I see no point. If you're talking about the show, yes Sokar is probably dead. If mythology, Sokar never died. Just got old.

Old Post 11-17-2002 10:42 PM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

I am saying that the people may not have liked Sokar and changed the sacred texts to follow emotion

Old Post 11-17-2002 10:45 PM
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

Location: On the potak taking a shitak in the peltak with Selmak on Delmak

I'm sure that happened all the time. Early Egyptian mythology, as well as early Greek, was changed in later periods to accomodate people and their worshipping habits. In mythology, gods often represent forces of nature or human nature, and they were depicted as good or evil as the circumstances permit.

quote:
The hebrew wrote the bible in Assyria, land of the conquerers, this is fact, it was written in the land of the conquerers

You seemed to be confused on this issue.
Different parts of the Bible were written in different places according to the time in which it was written. The Hebrews were never conquered by the Assyrians -- they were enslaved by the Egyptians, they themselves conquered the Caananites, and after establishing their own kingdom, they were conquered only by the Babylonians who were later, in turn, conquered by the Medo-Persians.

quote:
Ritmah

Sorry to be anal, but you've spelled it like that twice now...
It's Rithmah.

I have a Vespa and two cats!

Old Post 11-18-2002 12:48 AM
Rithmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rithmah Click here to Send Rithmah a Private Message Find more posts by Rithmah Add Rithmah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

I was watching a thing by time life the other day about the historical accuracy of the bible and it clearly said the Hebrew that wrote the old testement were in Assyria after they had been conquered. All hebrew were not slaves to the egyptian, only those that had been caught. And jesus christ i can't spell everyone's name right every time.

Old Post 11-18-2002 07:09 AM
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
I was watching a thing by time life
There's a cannon source.
quote:
I am saying that the people may not have liked Sokar and changed the sacred texts to follow emotion
1. Even when Osiris displaced Sokar, Sokar was still acknowledged. No texts were changed.

Old Post 11-18-2002 07:55 AM
Venus

Clearly all things egypt are dodgey
Sacriledge!!1

Anubis, you can at least try to spell everyone's name right, if I can manage to spell Rhydderch Hael right most of the time...

Wingless Flyer:
In fact I used one of my reference books for that one, "Gods of Ancient Egypt" by Barbara Watterson.
Wow, I have that too!

Maybe if you ask me in a few year time I might have mastered a good bit of it
Me too! We're twins!

And erm ... what is the main discussion of this topic? (And don't answer "God" )

Old Post 11-18-2002 10:11 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

Cool avatar Venus, i like it and i do try to spell good. But Sokar, how would u know if the text had been altered? Have a time travel device do we??? Mastered Egyptology have we??? Well the people at time life have so

Old Post 11-20-2002 01:39 AM
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
Well the people at time life have so
No they haven't. No-one has, and no-one can. And another thing, you said that your "Time Life" prophet source was about the bible and something about Assyria. How does that have anything to do with Egyptology?
quote:
Have a time travel device do we???
I don't need to.
quote:
Mastered Egyptology have we???
I don't need to have. The thing I said was a passing statement to allay the your suspicions of the "TEXT CHANGING" thing. Don't know where you got that from. First of all, you haven't quite indicated what text you're talking about. And again, you can't change sacred texts. People didn't not like Sokar, they didn't have anything to do with him. Unless they happend to be dead. Sokar was never "forgotten".
quote:
Mastered Egyptology have we???
Well that fact that you bring up these misguided and totally out there statements means that your certainly not coming close.

BTW, I do like the new persona Venus.

Last edited by Lord ?okar on 11-20-2002 at 08:07 PM

Old Post 11-20-2002 06:59 AM
Wingless Flyer

Smile

Is this still about egyptian religion changing?

It did, and wasn't so rare, gods were joined together (they also joined Roman and Greek Gods with Egyptian gods), replaced or forgotten about. At one point Akhenaten and Nefertiti replaced the many gods with one god, Aten, they de-faced the old sacred sites and began a cult in the name of Aten. However after his reign the old gods were replaced...

And religion really is up to those who believe, it can be changed whenever the belief changes. As we see in modern Christianity, the old views on heaven and hell are slowly dissapearing, people are less willing to believe in the Devil and hell (How could an all loving god create a place of ever lasting torture?) And Christianity has been changed, the reformation is a prime example...

Religion isn't set in stone, that's why we've seen many religions come and go and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the current religions in a few thousands years cease to be..

BTW - Cool Venus!

Last edited by Wingless Flyer on 11-20-2002 at 02:09 PM

Old Post 11-20-2002 02:06 PM
Wingless Flyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingless Flyer Click here to Send Wingless Flyer a Private Message Find more posts by Wingless Flyer Add Wingless Flyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kactus

God didn't create Man - Man created God - as a means for some enterprising individuals to dress up in weird fancy clothes and scare the crap out of an ignorant populus, to control their minds and their purses. So there!

Old Post 11-20-2002 07:42 PM
Kactus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kactus Click here to Send Kactus a Private Message Find more posts by Kactus Add Kactus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

Red face

Hmm, cactus we never would have guessed, clearly u need to realize that. Sokar was forgotten, as was everything else in egyptian mythology, until the rosetta stone was unearthed or in this case, found in a stone building

Old Post 11-20-2002 11:49 PM
Duke Enmes?rr
Renegade Serpent Guard!

Can we keep this topic on Gods in Stargate and not Gods in the REAL world! Thats for you Kactus!

Old Post 11-21-2002 04:15 AM
Duke Enmes?rr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duke Enmes?rr Click here to Send Duke Enmes?rr a Private Message Find more posts by Duke Enmes?rr Add Duke Enmes?rr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote