Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Does Sam Challenge Masculine Ideals or is She Just a Tomboy?
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

Yes, but I bet he didnt have Sams body

Anyway, yeah, airforce, not a ranger, even then, its not like there arent huge people that have to go out every sunday morning and bash into other 6 foot 250 pound monsters playing rugby in the mud or american football in your case

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-09-2002 04:21 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Johnvb

I think i'd have to agree with President Doc

Old Post 11-10-2002 05:32 AM
Johnvb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Johnvb Click here to Send Johnvb a Private Message Visit Johnvb's homepage! Find more posts by Johnvb Add Johnvb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam K
Ice Queen

Sam is 5'9"!! In the Air Force that is tall for a female. Pilots are limited to a certain height so they can fit in the airplanes for crying out loud. In the Air Force it pays off to be small and/or thin.

Anyway, if Tom Cruise can do it (Top Gun) at 5'7" then Sam, who is taller, can certainly do it!

Old Post 11-11-2002 12:14 AM
Sam K is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam K Click here to Send Sam K a Private Message Visit Sam K's homepage! Find more posts by Sam K Add Sam K to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Actually, the USAF has very little in the way of limits for height.

The problem is, those that are taller have a harder time pulling "G-forces" because of the larger distance from heart-to-brain.

Extremely large people 6'6" or taller, or small would have problems as they wouldn't be able to adjust the cockpit to fit them and would endanger their safety.

The US military is very tolerant on people's sizes, typically (so I've been told) to the point of having equipment designed to handle 95% of all healthy people.

(I.e. no morbidly obese tankers...)

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 11-11-2002 03:43 AM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sam K
Ice Queen

Thanks for clearing that up for me, DB. I was going by what I learnt in high school.

Old Post 11-11-2002 04:33 PM
Sam K is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sam K Click here to Send Sam K a Private Message Visit Sam K's homepage! Find more posts by Sam K Add Sam K to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack's hat
other 1/2 of TeenBrigade

Location: Elven name: Merenwen Loss?helin So I live in the woods

She's not that much of a tomboy

Last edited by jack's hat on 11-19-2002 at 04:38 PM

Old Post 11-17-2002 06:40 PM
jack's hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack's hat Click here to Send jack's hat a Private Message Find more posts by jack's hat Add jack's hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ussshorty
luv the bunnies

well she grew up in the military with her father also in the raf so shes a military brat and shes probaly dealt with sexist ppl cause in a way in children of the gods jack,kwalski and feretti were bin a little hasty towards her and in a way challenging her so i think shes just bin a normal women showing that shes more than capable of doing work that men can do plus i also think shes a tomboy.

Old Post 11-19-2002 04:29 PM
ussshorty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ussshorty Click here to Send ussshorty a Private Message Visit ussshorty's homepage! Find more posts by ussshorty Add ussshorty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack's hat
other 1/2 of TeenBrigade

hey I'm a tomboy but people don't think me that much of a tomboy and I like way more boyish things than her so now what do you think?

Old Post 11-19-2002 04:36 PM
jack's hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack's hat Click here to Send jack's hat a Private Message Find more posts by jack's hat Add jack's hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ussshorty
luv the bunnies

well this may sound sad but if i change my mind about becomming a counselor i want to join the raf thats probaly cause sam carter and amanda tapping are my idols ive had my hair cut exactly like hers and im going to the gym everyday to get a body like hers even though im fit enough already.

Old Post 11-19-2002 04:49 PM
ussshorty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ussshorty Click here to Send ussshorty a Private Message Visit ussshorty's homepage! Find more posts by ussshorty Add ussshorty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack's hat
other 1/2 of TeenBrigade

Thumbs up

Good for u gal don't let the boys put u off doin that

Old Post 11-19-2002 05:08 PM
Charlie Carter
1/2 of the Teen Brigade!

quote:
Originally posted by jack's hat
hey I'm a tomboy but people don't think me that much of a tomboy and I like way more boyish things than her so now what do you think?

well, i think it's all on the situation that the person in question (PiQ) is in, cos in the AF, a masculine lass might be accepted as a regular soldier, but in the case of Sam, i think she has had to earn respect. but in your case, jacks hat, (cos i know you...!) it's cool, cos you've always had that respect.

Or something along those lines...

Bovine Revolutionary No. 23 || Gater || Serious Manic || Amateur Agony Aunt || Love child of Legolas and Venus

Old Post 11-19-2002 05:58 PM
Charlie Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie Carter Click here to Send Charlie Carter a Private Message Find more posts by Charlie Carter Add Charlie Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MajorSam
The Bad Girl

i also go to the gym lots, and am bugging my parents very much to get some better equipment at home! my stuff isn't the best and i get respected sometimes for being smart, but i mostly get bugged. in a fun way though

BSF
HRADP!!!

Old Post 11-19-2002 07:49 PM
MajorSam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MajorSam Click here to Send MajorSam a Private Message Find more posts by MajorSam Add MajorSam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Doc, started as an insult, became a term of endearment....
Gym, always better to go to gym instead of spending money on inferior equipment that one will never use, even if you are rich enough to have a perfect gym, still cant meet people.

For an on topic point, I think she was originally concieved to challange certain perceptions, but shes grown into something better, a normal person, who has the abilities she has and isnt part of some feminist agenda but an equal in the team.

Old Post 11-19-2002 08:04 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack's hat
other 1/2 of TeenBrigade

Talking

Cheers cahrlie carter as you are my adopted fake sister than I 'd expect that from you and I know you have the respect as well

As for all you others good for you again

Jack's hat AKA Jo O'Neill

Old Post 11-20-2002 02:13 PM
ussshorty
luv the bunnies

my parents are getting sick of paying for me going to the gym but ive got a job so im starting to pay soon.

Old Post 11-20-2002 02:56 PM