Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > More SG-1 brain busters
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cracnsmash

Question More SG-1 brain busters

Here are some random thoughs i had while missing out on some much needed sleep..

1 If the goa'ulds used the pyramids as landing platforms for their ships..then wouldnt a large portion (lets say about 90%) of the ship have to be hollow in order to fit over the pyramid?

2 In the show its explained that other goa'ulds took the forms of gods from other civilizations....such as cronus(greece) and yu(chinese??) so why do they all fly around in pyramid ships? shouldnt they have things that relate to the mythology they are posing as? (ie. shouldnt cronus be in a ship that looks like a greek building or something other than an egyptian pyramid?)

3 Does anyone else think that Sg-1 is just a little to nit picky when it comes to their moral objection on whether or not to take the technology of some of the people they meet. they have (in at least 3-4 episodes) refused to trade technology because the people were in some way "moraly" wrong. I can just see next weeks episode.

Jack: oh wow your willing to give us technology that will forever defend us from the goa'uld and wipe out world hunger as we know it? sounds great lets just sign these papers and get everything moving and......

Daniel: Jack Wait!! i just saw one of these aliens throw rocks at a squirrel!!

Jack: You BASTARDS!!

Carter: Have you no morals or sense of compassion for your fellow creatures? How dare we trade with you!

Teal'c: These people are indeed a barbaric race O'neill.

Jack: and to think..i was gonna trade technology with such a cruel and heartless planet.

errr maybe im over reacting but still they do play the morality card a bit to much.

chew on those until i can think of some more...mmmm sleep.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-11-2002 02:24 AM
cracnsmash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cracnsmash Click here to Send cracnsmash a Private Message Find more posts by cracnsmash Add cracnsmash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

3 i'll leave alone.. as for 1 and 2..

1: it would invlove me doing some weird trig calculations and area/volume comparisons, but essentially, they could get away with maybe a 40-50% loss of space in order to accomodate the landing pad... but really, if it had been designed that way to start with, then they wouldn't feel the loss, as everything they need would still have a place.

okay, that made no sense, but essentially - the ship sitting over maybe half of the pyramid wouldn't take up too much space. and of course, when they landed, they had the interior of the pyramid to work with aswell.

2 - The concept of the pyramid is not soley linked to the egyptian cultures.. mayan, asain, druid, greek - i'm sure each culture had their own way of creating a landing pad - even if it was just on top of a mountin or something. they COULD land on flat ground, too. I dont think the discrepency should really be taken much notice of, i dont think. (meanwhile, i'm still trying to figure out how the goa'uld expanded across the globe in ancient times to create different religions in accordance with my theory in the hathor thread..)

Old Post 10-11-2002 02:41 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guessed

3. it's a certain race in real life living out their fantasy as they know they don't actually do it....

and yes jaffa, kree, that theory'd be interesting - eagerly awaiting your infinite wisdom...

Old Post 10-11-2002 04:13 AM
guessed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guessed Click here to Send guessed a Private Message Find more posts by guessed Add guessed to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

1 - Once they land they also have full run of the pyrmaid they landed on.

2 - In the movie we see Ra landing on earth in a pyrmaid ship so, if the Goa'uld mearly took on the forms of the Gods (and that's an entirely different discussion), then that design of ships was with the Goa'uld long before they encountered earth and adapted to their culutres. Besides, they made the pyrmaids in the first place (according to the show that is).

3 - Politics is politics, countries are like that on earth as well. Besides, the good guys have gotta look good.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 10-11-2002 08:28 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

I don't actually think that SG1 is too morally 'nit-picky', I can totally see ... damnit, that ep with the clones? Forget the title, S4 I think... Anyway, I can see Daniel's side in that ep (and love the whole:
"Daniel: Their world is in flames and you're offering gasoline?
Teal'c: We are in gfact offering water." thing.)

Also... Shadow Play? That was really good, made me think what I'd do, what would be ethically right, comparing it to the situation in this world etc etc... I like that there are different "factions" in SG1, for example Jack is more for getting tech, Daniel is/was the conscience and so on.

What I think is too nitpicky is in stuff like Trek where the Captians adhere to the prime directive or whatever, even if it means they're likely to die because of it, and yet it always turns out for the best.

Old Post 10-11-2002 09:58 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

Indeed, the sg1 team are far too much moral fibre, beings like myself would have nicked all the technology possible which would include the Sentinel kudos to maybourne for having those people do that kind of thing, who gives if they got caught.

Old Post 10-11-2002 11:42 PM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ussshorty
luv the bunnies

maybe they should have shania twain in stargate sorry im not thinking straight today and plus im watching a top of the pops speicial its shania twain day 4 them but i luv her and stargate

Old Post 11-19-2002 04:46 PM
ussshorty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ussshorty Click here to Send ussshorty a Private Message Visit ussshorty's homepage! Find more posts by ussshorty Add ussshorty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otis
Egyptaholic

2)Since the Goa'uld steal their technology, they could show up in giant eggs and it would still be plausible (aka Mork & Mindy).

Old Post 11-19-2002 06:37 PM
Otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Otis Click here to Send Otis a Private Message Find more posts by Otis Add Otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charlie Carter
1/2 of the Teen Brigade!

3. yes it does seem slightly aft, but having thought about it, i have worked out that they're doing it for the good of the USA and the world, cos if you were in their shoes, you'd have to do the same thing to make sure what you were getting wouldn't kill you.

i liked your li'l script, tho!

Bovine Revolutionary No. 23 || Gater || Serious Manic || Amateur Agony Aunt || Love child of Legolas and Venus

Old Post 11-19-2002 06:49 PM
Charlie Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie Carter Click here to Send Charlie Carter a Private Message Find more posts by Charlie Carter Add Charlie Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TheOneKEA
You shot me! DIE!!

1. So? LOHS, they get the interior of the pyramid and space for engine exhausts.

2. No comment.

3. I haven't seen anything like this so far. Usually it's the other way around, the advanced cultures thumbing their noses at us cuz they think WE'RE barbaric.

No NUKAGE yet!

Old Post 11-19-2002 08:06 PM
TheOneKEA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TheOneKEA Click here to Send TheOneKEA a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneKEA Add TheOneKEA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

quote:
Originally posted by TheOneKEA

3. I haven't seen anything like this so far.

the other side

Old Post 11-19-2002 09:52 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote