Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > God?
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Venus

I doubt the producers will either...

Though, Quetzalcoatl, in line with JK's theory about the Goa'uld's being actual gods, well... how come Quetz doesn't really seem the sacrifice demanding type?

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-14-2002 09:20 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

maybe god's a tok'ra? a really powerful one.

I reckon some of the goa'uld took the role of Earths' gods but others were the gods and worshiped as such when they made an appearence.

Old Post 11-14-2002 12:47 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

Not many people care settesh the thing is someone has found a link between the bible and goa'uld, this is undeniable, perhaps this is so but for the fact that if they adressed god they may be censored out in countries like australia where the censors are incredibly religious and saying god is an alien got the xfiles stuck at the 10.30 saturday spot soo..... And the tok'ra have never had the military power of the goa'uld, so much is known after the attack on revana by Zipacna.

Old Post 11-15-2002 12:06 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

Location: On the potak taking a shitak in the peltak with Selmak on Delmak

quote:
the thing is someone has found a link between the bible and goa'uld

Do you seriously believe that?

I have a Vespa and two cats!

Old Post 11-15-2002 01:33 AM
Rithmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rithmah Click here to Send Rithmah a Private Message Find more posts by Rithmah Add Rithmah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
the thing is someone has found a link between the bible and goa'uld
No they haven;t. The only link between the bible and the Goa'uld was Sokar. See this site for why even that link is invalid.

Old Post 11-15-2002 04:13 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

Actually Lord ?, Apophis is very closely related to the bible in the show, his jaffa tatoo, the serpent, is much like the symbol awarded the devil however when u argue that Sokar's tat is the pentagram i may remind u that we in the modern times awarded the devil that symbol, it used to belong to witches, not the devil, and some would argue that their are different varities of withces.

News flash, sokar has nothing to do with the bible, the bible was written in mesopotamia, remember, not egypt and if i remember the people that conquered the bible writers were pagan until they acquired the gods of their conquered, Sokar wasn't as vaunted as u would like him to be, no amount of evidence can beat the fact that we, the only people that matter ignore him, do u see any movies that involve sokar, generally they use the much more swarve and cool Anubis, and the show what did they do with sokar? Kill him off to be replaced by that looser apophis *no offense to apophis fans* Ritmah, it doesn't matter what i think about anything the point was, and i thought i made this clear, that someone found a link between the goa'uld and the bible. However i do agree the link is weak, i m just saying it is there.

Old Post 11-16-2002 02:07 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

quote:
News flash, sokar has nothing to do with the bible, the bible was written in mesopotamia, remember, not egypt and if i remember the people that conquered the bible writers were pagan until they acquired the gods of their conquered,

Actually, the Bible is composed of several "books" that were written over a period of thousands of years. The first five books, the Torah, were written by Moses in Egypt.

Baal was a pagan idol and a major rival to God. One of the most well known accounts in the Bible deals with Elijah and the followers of Baal. Each group put up alters to their god and prayed to that god to light the alter without any human help. Despites chants and sacrifices, Baal's alter did nothing. Though soaked to the gills with water, Elijah's alter to God burst into flame.

Baal and Marduk are the only system lords that are mentioned by name in the Bible. Marduk was a pretty nasty "deity," demanding sacrifices of children and all...

Old Post 11-16-2002 02:56 AM
Rithmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rithmah Click here to Send Rithmah a Private Message Find more posts by Rithmah Add Rithmah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by Rithmah
Actually, the Bible is composed of several "books" that were written over a period of thousands of years. The first five books, the Torah, were written by Moses in Egypt.

Not to start debating the whole of the Christian doctrine etc, but the Bible and faith were arguably based on Egyptian/past mythology. Though whether or not they were, surely there's links in itself between all "bad" gods, i.e. Baal = Apophis = The Devil etc, just as there's links between, say, Hermes and Thoth?

Old Post 11-17-2002 12:59 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

LOL at not debating doctrine. "Arguably" is the key word there. For me it's hard to understand how a culture that thrives on and emphasizes polytheism can be the basis for a culture and religion that strictly adheres to the belief that there is only one god.

But principles and ideologies are what I believe to be the key. There are parallels of it in every culture. Gods are based more on the ideals of what the deities represented, rather than the actual characters themselves. All cultures have different gods that could be related in some way to another culture's gods because of their "role" in the the universe.

Old Post 11-17-2002 09:14 PM
Man of less sorrow

The hebrew wrote the bible in Assyria, land of the conquerers, this is fact, it was written in the land of the conquerers, it was the conquerers who allowed them to have the bible, Egypt had nothing to do with Assyria until Assyria took them over and made them worship other gods, Ritmah and Venus did u read what i said about Apophis, therefore he is not the only one, clearly as was seen in the second ep with Unas sokar was around after the bible was written although the antarctic gate was lost first,, strange

Old Post 11-17-2002 09:30 PM
Wingless Flyer

Sokar, in Egyptian religion, was originally worshiped as an Agricultural God, his festival was held in the fourth month of the season of Akhet, on the eve of the winter sowing. The festival consisting of people hoeing the earth and driving cattle (hence argicultural).

He was also credited with being the Deity of Artisans but lost this position to Ptah and became known as the Deity for Goldsmiths. From his earlist existance he was considered the gaurdian of the Memphite necropolis, but he wasn't a general necropolis deity, he was associated with the decay and darkness of the tomb itself. Which was odd as he was considered to be ther incarnate of a species of Hawk, likely a peregrine falcon. Such a 'free' animal was not normally associated with tombs etc, but hawks were often seen swooping down beside early graves out in the desert, this is where this custom appears to have come from. When Ptah became the principal god of Memphis, Sokar joined him and fulfilled the role of funerary God to Ptah's creator god.

Later on Sokar's festival became one with that of Osiris's festival and soon he became only a part of Osiris himself (which is the only really solid link to the after life, other then the necropolis god, which really isn't anything like being the Devil)

So you see, the statement that he was the Devil, wasn't placed on too much of a solid base as far as Egyptian Mythology went.

Old Post 11-17-2002 09:44 PM
Wingless Flyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingless Flyer Click here to Send Wingless Flyer a Private Message Find more posts by Wingless Flyer Add Wingless Flyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

U mastered egyptian mythology did u???

Clearly all things egypt are dodgey, this is indicated by the fact that we as society have only written references that are atmost, vague, perhaps we shouldn't look at the show and reference it to the actual egyptian mythology.

Old Post 11-17-2002 09:55 PM
Wingless Flyer

Smile

lol, god no, currently educating myself (generalising helps, which isn't perfect, but once you have that sorted out you can start learning all the details, being able bring up at least some information when needed, not easy)

In fact I used one of my reference books for that one, "Gods of Ancient Egypt" by Barbara Watterson.

Maybe if you ask me in a few year time I might have mastered a good bit of it

You are quite right in that we don't know enough, I mean, if you have an English speaking Historian and say, a French Historian trying to translate the same Heirogylphic text, you will come out with two slightly different versions, there are afterall no vowels....

And because what we see is symbolic on the tomb walls (or any other site) We have to rationalise what it's symbolising, Egyptologist do a pretty good job, but there is always enough room for error...

Last edited by Wingless Flyer on 11-17-2002 at 10:06 PM

Old Post 11-17-2002 10:00 PM
Wingless Flyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingless Flyer Click here to Send Wingless Flyer a Private Message Find more posts by Wingless Flyer Add Wingless Flyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

Yes, what it is a wee bit hard to master a dead language, on top of that language u have to look at the sociology ofthem time when researching the gods, as we have noted previously if things are bad the gods are blamed and because the people are fickle, they write mean things, if things are good, good things.

Old Post 11-17-2002 10:11 PM
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
News flash, sokar has nothing to do with the bible
I just said that.
quote:
Apophis is very closely related to the bible in the show
Yes well the show can do anything they want, including saying that Sokar is related to the Devil.
quote:
argue that Sokar's tat is the pentagram i may remind u that we in the modern times awarded the devil that symbol, it used to belong to witches, not the devil, and some would argue that their are different varities of withces.
Like I said, not in any way related to real life. Apophis did have no link to any "bible" that we know and if the only relevance is his symbol then it is all fictional. You don't think that any other cultures used the symbol of the snake?

quote:
Sokar wasn't as vaunted as u would like him to be,

I laugh with scorn at this infantile agrandisation of diferent gods. Anubis was "cool", yeah....
quote:
no amount of evidence can beat the fact that we, the only people that matter ignore him,
You continue to use that pronoun "we".

Baal did have a link to the bible but they do not manifest it and his symbol is a HazMat missing the top point.

Old Post 11-17-2002 10:27 PM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote