Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Off Topic > Iraq
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
guessed

^^^ my thoughts exactly. i am concerned at WHO is going to pull the reins in on america when it gets out of control (if it isn't already)

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-06-2002 08:10 PM
guessed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guessed Click here to Send guessed a Private Message Find more posts by guessed Add guessed to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

People in the end have control, look, in the end if people dont buy or sell with america, the influence is lost.
anyhu.

Old Post 10-06-2002 08:51 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guessed

true, but what scares me is we can't do that (are unable to). i know squat about politics and world trade, but my impression is america is too strong to be reckoned with - maybe that's a problem in itself (my thinking i mean)... hmmm, anyway, i'm following threads like this, and the news reports etc with alot of interest, so i am learning =)

Last edited by guessed on 10-06-2002 at 09:18 PM

Old Post 10-06-2002 09:10 PM
guessed is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guessed Click here to Send guessed a Private Message Find more posts by guessed Add guessed to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Its not.
There are exagerations on both sides of the argument, the trick is to see through them, which unfortunately can be difficult.
Anyhow, best thing to do is to try not to get too riled up on one side and attempt to see the other.

Old Post 10-06-2002 09:13 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guessed

i guess though in some small way i AM subconsciously making decisions in life to NOT interact with america as much as possible (call this racism if you want). for instance i recently purchased something worth about $400 aussie dollars, i had a choice of "made in america" or "made in germany". i preferred the yank one, but bought the other one at slightly higher price "just because" it wasnt' american. same with movies etc lately. following hong kong, indian, british ANYTHING except hollywood. these things obviously cannot be categorically done, i'm just trying "as much as possible". hmm, i wonder how much flack this comment is going to get me - ha ha haaa...

but i am trying to see the other side through this forum, in this regards this (forum) is doing some good in the world (and not just arguing about whether the point of origin on a gate makes sense or not)

Old Post 10-06-2002 09:19 PM
president doc

... this iraq thing wasnt a plot in stargate?!!!

Old Post 10-06-2002 09:27 PM
guessed

oh it was, just they called it "petty earth politics" or something, ha ha haaa

Old Post 10-06-2002 09:30 PM
Bose-Einstein
The 3rd Libra

America needs to be stopped. Seriously, it's this kind of overt agression on their part that makes me consider doing things like organising a protest and so on. Sigh, I haven't been this worked up over anything in as long as I can remember.

Old Post 10-06-2002 10:15 PM
Bose-Einstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bose-Einstein Click here to Send Bose-Einstein a Private Message Find more posts by Bose-Einstein Add Bose-Einstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rithmah
Got Vespa?

Location: On the potak taking a shitak in the peltak with Selmak on Delmak

quote:

I sometimes wonder. Whenever you speak to Americans you only ever get that same "America is great, other countries are crap and evil and ruled by dictators or commies" attitude. I only ask that you see both sides.

I don't agree. There are some Americans who have that attitude, but I personally don't know any. Most Americans do not have a superiority complex. Sure, we take pride in our country, but that doesn't make us want to go out and invade every third-world country and then mold it into our image. In fact, there are thousands of people protesting Bush's proposed attack, stating that war is terrorism. Some Americans are as troubled about the whole situation as you are.

Saddam is seen by Bush as a very serious threat. He has expressed interest in making very destructive weapons and has not hidden any intent to use them. Saddam should have been dealt with during the Gulf War, but he wasn't. As a result, for the next eight years, we had a president who was concerned with making everyone happy. This included Saddam, who had eight blissful years to dally around with science.

Who knows? Perhaps we SHOULD wait and see what happens. Maybe Saddam can't earn his Masters in NBC weapons and Iraq will flop. Maybe he will produce weapons of mass destruction and use them. With the former, we might all be able to brush it off in a few years. With the latter, there WILL be war.

And I like to think of myself as open-minded. While I do hold my own opinions, I am more than willing to listen to what the other side has to say. It helps me realize whether I can defend my position and hold my own or whether I might need to change it.

I have a Vespa and two cats!

Old Post 10-06-2002 11:37 PM
Rithmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rithmah Click here to Send Rithmah a Private Message Find more posts by Rithmah Add Rithmah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guessed

quote:
Originally posted by Rithmah
I don't agree. There are some Americans who have that attitude, but I personally don't know any. Most Americans do not have a superiority complex.

a good post (i am not being sarcastic). it just seems that every american **i** come across is not how you describe. i guess it's the loud outspoken ones who we hear the clearest. plus media firing everyone up never helps. i am currently following with interest the protests in america about the war, and like i said earlier today somewhere here i AM trying to understand, and for what it's worth my attitude to americans IS warming throughout all this. like you say, it's not everyone afterall...

Old Post 10-07-2002 12:12 AM
oFFaL
You Spam - You Die

Really, all we should do is get rid of the whole middle-east. It's useless. Suck all the oil out of there and then bomb the crap out of it and create a new ocean. All that comes out of there is trouble. Saddam tried to kill Bush's dad, wouldn't you want revenge? I hope he bombs the absolute crap out of him. America is going to do whatever the hell they want anyway, what do they care about the U.N.? They could get rid of every other country on this planet if they felt like it.

The World - Middle East = Much Better Place

Old Post 10-07-2002 01:10 AM
oFFaL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oFFaL Click here to Send oFFaL a Private Message Visit oFFaL's homepage! Find more posts by oFFaL Add oFFaL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guessed

'tis a bit immature, isn't it?

just who do you think causes all the trouble there??

Old Post 10-07-2002 01:12 AM
oFFaL
You Spam - You Die

No, I don't think it's immature at all. Look at what goes on over there, besides oil name one decent thing that has come out of there? All you ever hear about over there is bombs, war, etc. etc. etc. Put them out of their miseryh.

Old Post 10-07-2002 01:17 AM
oFFaL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oFFaL Click here to Send oFFaL a Private Message Visit oFFaL's homepage! Find more posts by oFFaL Add oFFaL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guessed

yeah, you're right i guess... the population as a whole in those countries need their asses kicked and to all be killed. idiot!

Old Post 10-07-2002 01:21 AM
MacGyver
Phoenix Foundation?

I agree with oFFaL, I want a new parking lot!

Old Post 10-07-2002 01:21 AM
MacGyver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MacGyver Click here to Send MacGyver a Private Message Find more posts by MacGyver Add MacGyver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote