Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Moderator Forum > Spammers!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

Spammers!

Spammers. Who are they and how should we cut down on them?
How many mods do we have here that can enforce rules? oFFal is AWOL due to his schooling, no fault of his own. When he does show up he notices the differences even more. I've got Venus and Ash and Bose all complaining about the newbies who are apparantly spamming up the forums. They keep on at me to do something. Not so long ago they were spamming, but i guess they've learned. How do you stop spammers from spamming if they don't see anything wrong with it?

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 02-12-2002 08:27 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mac
eeeeevil herbivore

We need to be able to ban people or something...

Or just kill off all the newbies, especially spamdinger.

Old Post 02-12-2002 09:44 PM
Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mac Click here to Send Mac a Private Message Find more posts by Mac Add Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Hmm...Schrodinger isn't much of a Spammer compared to Chameleon and Fly Boy. In over a week they've made over 100 posts. I think if we can implement like a ban that last for a week then we might be able to get the message across that Spamming is annoying.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 02-12-2002 09:50 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

hmm.. spamming and be annoyiong are different. Schrodinger is just clueless, where as, yes, there are others around that are more befitting the title of 'spammer'. However, how would you put a 'ban' on something like this? I do NOT beleive that people should be banned form posting on a board altogether, i *still* regret loosing such posters as Kawalsky and a few others from the old forum...

But, on the other hand, there isn't really muchmore we can do except heavily moderate the spammed threads, and send constant warnings to the posters.
You're right - those that were spamming a while ago soon learnt. maybe we should just hope for the same thing to happen here aswell? If they dont, then.. yeah.. maybe a ban for a week or something (tho i'm not sure how you would do that). However, this risks pissing them off - and someone with a grudge can be worse than just a spammer. We could get abuse from all over the place, they could register under a new nick and be a complete asshole, they could go to other boards and abuse us there (hey, it's been a while since we had a fued with talkstargate, have you noticed? ) and various other things..

*sigh*, i dont know.. whatever you guys reckon. I just think banning them should be a LAST resort.

Old Post 02-13-2002 12:22 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

I think they should just be ridiculed, but not banned.

Old Post 02-13-2002 04:25 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

What? Like named and shamed? Give the impression that we don't like Spammers and that nobody likes a Spammer?

Old Post 02-13-2002 05:54 AM
Goa`uld
Descended God

No you post a picture that calls them bad names.

Old Post 02-13-2002 07:14 AM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

And what good will that do? One member is already thinking of not returning after that name calling you did in the In-Depth Forum.

Old Post 02-13-2002 08:58 AM
Goa`uld
Descended God

Exactly! If you'd banned them they'd WANT to come back to spite you. But if you scare them away they won't want to spam again!

Old Post 02-13-2002 10:46 AM
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

But if you scare them away then they'll just not post again. There's nothing wrong with posting. It's Spamming we don't want. And what good is it if you go about driving away people who had actually stopped spamming. No one likes it when they're slagged, especially when it's from a mod. We're supposed to Moderate. Flaming isn't moderating. if you have a point, make it, but don't attack people. They're just not gonna return.

Old Post 02-13-2002 05:10 PM
Goa`uld
Descended God

Well in any case I think banning someone for spamming is extreme.. unless they are clearly not interested in Stargate and just came here to advertise their website or products - Advertising spam etc....
Because those kinds of people rarely come back to see what kind of a response they got.

Old Post 02-13-2002 10:44 PM
Jaffa, Kree!

i agree. the spammers that come to mind are people like pres doc, the ash man, bose, etc etc, and while they post a lot, the forum would be pretty damn boring without them.

There aint much we can do but tell em to shut the fark up and stay on topic, and dont spam.. i doubt anyone read that damn sticky thingy in General, either. like i said before, the newbies are just clueless.. i think they'll get the picture if they see us pestering the others, or we should tell them to READ THE RULES. most places make you read the FAQ before you can even post there.

Old Post 02-14-2002 12:59 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nug
Melon

Ya know I think a ban is a bit harsh on a person who spams. If they flame and spam well then go ahead.
As for stopping the spam, dunno how about just deleting their useless posts?

Old Post 02-14-2002 02:41 AM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

The thing about deleting the useless posts is that when you go to delete individual posts using the admin options, every post is selected to be deleted. This means you have to go through every good post and unselect it. In normal threads about 20% of it is Spam. So you find yourself, rather than looking for the bad posts and selecting delete, your looking for the good posts and selecting "do not delete". Sometimes you might miss a good post and forget to select do not delete. I think it would be better if all posts were automatically selected on "do not delete" and you then had to select which post to delete, rather than vice versa.

Old Post 02-14-2002 04:17 PM
Mac
eeeeevil herbivore

Yeah, I had that with that bloody pictures thread. Took me ages to do, and drove me crazy...

Old Post 02-14-2002 09:04 PM
Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mac Click here to Send Mac a Private Message Find more posts by Mac Add Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote