Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > a little info...
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Venus

Well, what books did you read? And just out of interest, how long have you been studying Ancient Egypt, and what aspects?

quote:
Every day as Ras Sun barge made its passage lighting up the earth from heliopoils, Apep attacked it so that the sun would nto shine and the Earth would be plunged into darkness...He followed the barque into necropolis and attacked it when Ras and a hunting party attacked and killed the serpent.

Apophis would only attack Ra's barque at night, each morning (When the sun appeared) was seen as a victory of the forces of good over evil. The only time Aophis was seen to previal was when there was an eclipse, though Ra always managed to overcome him.

Regards Amaunet being benevolent and a patron of the Pharoah: She was also a mother goddess, as well as a fertility goddess, which in itself is one of the most benevolent forms of any god(dess), and she played a prominent part of the Pharoah's ascension. There was nothing malevolent in her. Also, Horus wasn't the only representing the pharoah, there was also Seth, once he was pacified, and then there's the whole uraeus thing on the crown that I'm not going into.

What do you mean the pharoahs weren't so nice themselves? They were seen to be the son of Ra, or daughter of Isis, and were supposed to be the embodiment of their country, as in live to serve it, they'd try and be "good". Worshipping "bad" Gods didn't make them bad, they would simply try to pacify those worse Gods.

Cults weren't just created by a single person, they would take years to be "created" and spend much longer changing nature, personification etc.

The Pharoah's rule wasn't as absolute as you sem to think. Obviously it varied from ruler to ruler, but but the priests had a lot of power, not only to tend to their temples, or worship of their city etc., but it would be them that would affect how the gods were seen, and most likely to their political or financial gain as well, it wasn't simply changed on a pharoah's whim.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 09-08-2002 11:23 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
Well, what books did you read?

• An Intorduction to Ancient Egypt
  • Funerary Customs of Ancient Civilisations
  • Egyptian Dieties and Figures
  • Myths from the Nile
quote:
And just out of interest, how long have you been studying Ancient Egypt
Not very long but I don't see how that should make any diference to the value of my information
quote:
and what aspects
Deities.
quote:
Apophis would only attack Ra's barque at night
I didn't not say that. I said when it was in Necropolis, at night.
quote:
but but the priests had a lot of power
As in any highly religious civilisation.

Old Post 09-09-2002 07:02 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Can you give me the authors of the books? I don't mean it offensively, but obviously the longer you study something, the better you learn it. Mythology is one thing, the way the civilisation worked is totally another, though they were intricately tied together.

Old Post 09-09-2002 11:31 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

The first 3 are by T. G. H. James. I own an introduction and I had one hell of a hard time getting the others from the library. I don't even think they are still in print. The last one is not a reference but more of a stroy book(lol) and I can't remember who it's by. However, I have studied the history, myths, texts and cults of Sokar in depth, both from page and off the internet.

Old Post 09-10-2002 06:28 AM
Lord ?okar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lord ?okar Click here to Send Lord ?okar a Private Message Find more posts by Lord ?okar Add Lord ?okar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lord ?okar
Supreme System Lord

quote:
She was also a mother goddess, as well as a fertility goddess, which in itself is one of the most benevolent forms of any god(dess)
If I recall, so was Hathor and she, at times, could be extremly spiteful.

Old Post 09-10-2002 06:30 AM
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by Lord ?okar
If I recall, so was Hathor and she, at times, could be extremly spiteful.

That was a unique incident, and it wasn't unprovoked.

Old Post 09-10-2002 08:14 AM