Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Why did the Ancients build the gate system?
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

The Nox were out playing with the big boys before the Goa'uld were out of ponds.... the Tollan are about 500 years ahead of earth.

SG1 showed them to the Tollan as all the other places were unnacceptable to the Tollan, in the Nox, they found an advanced race that couldnt be damaged by their technology, infact they found someone who was actually ahead of them.

The Nox built them a gate and settled em down nice and good since they wernt "that young"... perhaps teenagers in the grand scheme of things, and thats that.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-11-2002 12:37 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

quote:
and thats that.

No it isn't. There is no evidence to suggest that the Nox were any more advanced technologically then the Nox, spitually or mentally they were super ahead of everyone stave the ascendents.

Old Post 12-11-2002 12:40 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

quote:
Originally posted by _.:?nubis:._
No it isn't. There is no evidence to suggest that the Nox were any more advanced technologically then the Nox, spitually or mentally they were super ahead of everyone stave the ascendents.

uh, ok, whatever you say, but anyway, I didnt see the Nox get run over by Anubis, I also didnt see the Tollan build themselves a gate, I saw them running to mummy SGC and begging for help.

I also saw them getting bitch slapped by Anubis in so many ways that they lost their "principles".

They built Ion cannons? what was that super floating city ship that Quark uncloaked with a wave of the hand?!
Ill go for the hundreds of millenia old Nox over the "skipped the Dark ages and now were 500 years ahead YAY!" humans anyday.

Old Post 12-11-2002 12:54 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

Like i said, we don't know that the tollans are even from the tau'ri, they may not be, but anyways the nox would have stopped building advanced tech long ago so they could start researching telekenesis and telepathy and blah blah blah, but anubis doesn't know that the Nox even exist, and they may have cloaked their entire planet and from what we have seen perhaps anubis could have used his GTG weapon on the nox, whether it would have worked or not is a different question.

Old Post 12-11-2002 01:04 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Yes we do know, its been said.
Why would the nox have stopped building anything? We saw they have city ships, we also saw them activating gates and making them dissapear with the wave of a hand, technology controlled by thought.
By saying the Nox have the capability to cloak a planet, one automatically has to rate them above teh Tollan who got their asses kicked well and truly.

The Nox were part of the big four, Anubis could probably inflict damage on the Nox, or Asgaard as we saw in the same way SG1 seems to inflict damage on the Goa'uld... that hasnt got much to do with technology or power though.

Old Post 12-11-2002 11:04 AM
Venus

Dudes, the topic?

Though interesting that you seem to have all assumed (I only skim read the thread) that the Ancients built the gate system for themselves? You think they really meant to use all of the gates? And was it anything to do with their race dying?

Old Post 12-11-2002 11:12 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

No, I dont think its anything to do with their race dieing, why would they build gates if their race were dieing?

Oh god, an asteroids gonna hit earth...WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!

People of earth... let us build a vast network of roads to leave our legacy to the animals that shall come after us!

And talking of assumptions, why do you say the Ancients are dead... if anything, it was said they just moved on from the asgaards region of space.

Topic? evolution.

Old Post 12-11-2002 11:16 AM
Venus

I'm just totally not following the Ancients storyline, ignore that part then.

Though leaving stuff for after your death has been done before... But maybe somehow they were trying to use gates as time travel (solar flares) and location affected it somehow...? Yes, I know I'm way out, think I'll go back to lurking.

Old Post 12-11-2002 11:21 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy
*NUKED* *
Roy
Speaker-Second Foundation

I think it very likely that the Nox are much more advanced than the Tolan. Of course, we haven't seen much Nox tech. They're very reclusive. Conversely, we've seen much Tolan tech. But, if the assumptions of the characters are correct, that the Tolan are ~500 years ahead of humans, then - yes, the Nox should be more advanced. Especially given that they've had MUCH more time to develop their tech - and were in league with the other more powerful/older races. Of course, this is based on the assumption that all races advance in a fixed progression. Maybe the Nox stopped advancing at some point. Who knows?

--------------------

OK, back to topic. My opinion: I think the Ancients build the gates cuz... it sure beats jumpin in the minivan to get those groceries!

Last edited by Roy on 12-11-2002 at 03:25 PM

Old Post 12-11-2002 03:21 PM
Roy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Click here to Send Roy a Private Message Find more posts by Roy Add Roy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

Roy, instead of double posting for the sake of your post count, perhaps u should try editing your post to include the new info? And the Nox wouldn't have helped the tollan if they weren't on some level at the same stage of advancement, they wouln't even talk to the humans, they had to go into the country and find the backwards Nox who live in huts and are scantily dressed.
Sorry about steven - Anubis

Last edited by _.:?nubis:._ on 12-12-2002 at 10:26 PM

Old Post 12-12-2002 01:04 AM
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

the nox helped the tollan out becuase they are that kind of race. Plus the tollans were advanced enough to know not to give technology to lesser advanced races (they also had the experience) i'm sure they could have put that into their message to the nox or the nox would have understood. The nox aren't above helping out another race just because they are 'young', they helped out the humans and hell even let them have a look at their 'secrets'.

Old Post 12-12-2002 11:32 AM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy
Speaker-Second Foundation

I agree with dr.taz. And Anubis - stop using profanity. It's childish and an inferior way of debating your ideas.

Old Post 12-12-2002 03:08 PM
Roy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Click here to Send Roy a Private Message Find more posts by Roy Add Roy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

Anubis - you are hardly in the position to boss anyone around. Give it up. get back on topic. You're wrong, everyone else is right, i am god and it is because i say so.

Happy? Now shut up.

Old Post 12-12-2002 07:54 PM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Man of less sorrow

Not happy but i'll get back on topic, since it would appear that a logical argument cannot be presented.
The ancients didn't need stargates, they didn't travell to all the gate worlds either, this is fact because we know that the ancients built stuff to last, ie the GTG Weapon, the time loop device, the stargates themselves, the DHD's, the weird thing that downloaded their knowledge into O'Neill, clearly the ancients were interested in advancing lessers species otherwise they wouldn't have left their library where the goa'uld could get to it.

Old Post 12-12-2002 10:31 PM