Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Off Topic > Star Trek: Nemesis
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mac6yver
Ur fate is in my hands...

Talking Star Trek: Nemesis

I just got back from Star Trek: Nemesis, it was amazing. I walked in telling myself not to get my hopes up, due to my previous horroe of Insurrection, but this movie was amazing. The acting was great. Even the opening wedding scene is actually funny. Its not the attempt at humor that makes you cringe, its actually funny. The battles scenes...... They go on and on and on, which is a good thing. Trust me, go see this movie. Even my friends I brought with me that don't watch Star Trek liked it. Even my poor girlfriend who I drug with me liked it, she admitted some scenes were boring to her, but overall she liked it. I plan on seeing this film at least one more time in the theatre.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-14-2002 06:29 AM
Mac6yver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mac6yver Click here to Send Mac6yver a Private Message Find more posts by Mac6yver Add Mac6yver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ambrosia

*clicks respond button with envy* I'm desperately eager to see that movie. Over in Australia we have to wait until mid-January. I'm certainly glad to hear that he doesn't fall below our expectations. I actually enjoyed the good nature of Insurrection, and little hints of romance. How long does it take for my favourite couple to tie the knot and keep it that way?

Thanks for sharing.

Am

Old Post 12-14-2002 06:50 AM
Ambrosia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ambrosia Click here to Send Ambrosia a Private Message Find more posts by Ambrosia Add Ambrosia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Teelie
What's in a title?

I saw it earlier. I liked it. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but it wasn't a disappointment either.

This is what I look like in the mornings.

Old Post 12-14-2002 08:03 AM
Teelie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Teelie Click here to Send Teelie a Private Message Find more posts by Teelie Add Teelie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

The trailers make the film look crappy. All I got from the trailers was that it was about some over-dressed baddy who won that part over Michael Shanks who was made up to look like a younger version og Picard. Why is he then got no hair?

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 12-14-2002 05:31 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

You know, I started balding at age 13.

Old Post 12-14-2002 07:07 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Teelie
What's in a title?

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana
The trailers make the film look crappy. All I got from the trailers was that it was about some over-dressed baddy who won that part over Michael Shanks who was made up to look like a younger version og Picard. Why is he then got no hair?

Telling you why he's bald would be spoiling it for you.
Let's just say the trailer didn't really do much justice for the film, IMO.

This is what I look like in the mornings.

Old Post 12-14-2002 09:10 PM
Teelie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Teelie Click here to Send Teelie a Private Message Find more posts by Teelie Add Teelie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D?W?R
1st Prime of Apophis

I saw it too

it was great

the best Startrek film so far.

I didnt like the car picard drove

it doesnt seem to fit in the future

Old Post 12-14-2002 11:41 PM
D?W?R is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D?W?R Click here to Send D?W?R a Private Message Find more posts by D?W?R Add D?W?R to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

I have to agree, I saw the trailer and I thought the car thing sucked... maybe it has some hidden tech that makes it better than an RS4

Old Post 12-14-2002 11:45 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

I saw the trailer and thought the trailer sucked. It was too hard core for me. All this fast music which just wasn't Star Trek. It seemed like they were trying to get cool people into Stargate by using cool things like music which is so fast that its crap. They don't need to target other audiences when they've got one already. Stargate sometimes makes that mistake as well (early S4 half naked ladies). Star Wars doesn't however, it just keeps up with the times. Enuff said

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 12-14-2002 11:56 PM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

I think the film itself is trek though.
Theres nothing wrong with advertising to catch a wider audiences eye...

The people who would see the movie anyway were gonna see it whether or not there were trailers, I personally have never seen a trek trailer in the cinema in my life... well, I saw a teaser trailer for first contact once.

Actually, theres an interesting quote I read at the end of a critique.

"After all these years, Star Trek fans, like James Bond fans, expect a particular blend of action, humor and big ideas from characters they know and love. Nemesis does not expand the boundaries of those expectations, but it meets them neatly and with admirable flair. "

Now I dont really take critics opinions literally, but I just thought that that quote was kind of in the spirit..

I.e you either get it or you dont, like it or you dont.

Old Post 12-15-2002 12:21 AM
Mac6yver
Ur fate is in my hands...

Yes, my friends who were non-fans even enjoyed it.

Old Post 12-15-2002 08:06 AM
Mac6yver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mac6yver Click here to Send Mac6yver a Private Message Find more posts by Mac6yver Add Mac6yver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ambrosia

Ugh, I saw the trailer and wasn't pleased with that whole car deal. Let's get some sci-fi action in there, not car racing.

Am

Old Post 12-16-2002 05:59 AM
Ambrosia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ambrosia Click here to Send Ambrosia a Private Message Find more posts by Ambrosia Add Ambrosia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Well typically people judge a movie on the movie and not on the teaser trailer at that

Old Post 12-16-2002 07:00 AM
shiloh
Radix lecti

I liked it alot too. For the first time in years, a Trek move that actually had some real *drama* in it. Very satisfying. The part that made me cringe though was

Spoiler:
the beginning of the love scene with Troi and Riker - eeewwwwwwww

Just goes to prove that the even-numbered treks are good. The guy who wrote it is a professional screenwriter, but also a fan, and he understands what makes trek good.

About Shinzon (don't read unless you want to be spoiled or you've already seen the move
Spoiler:
originally he was going to be Picard's son, but the screenwriter said that brought too many emotional issues into the picture, so they made him a clone instead

Really, don't worry about those car driving scenes. Yeah, they were, imho, kinda stupid and really out of character, but they happen early on and you get over them. The whole story between Picard and Shinzon were great. And for all you Beauty and the Beast fans, that's Ron Perlman under the Viceroy's makeup.

Also, just a personal thing, but while watching the credits I saw a friends name! He worked on the effects (his speciality is making video displays appear on camera without flickering - you know, cameras are 28 frames per second, and monitors are 24, or something like that---) anyway I gotta talk to him and find out what he did for it.

Old Post 12-16-2002 04:31 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

I assume he made the tv's operate at 24 HZ

Old Post 12-16-2002 06:46 PM