Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Questions on 2001
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

another thing i love is that intransit thing theyve come up with, saying where the matter in the wormhole is and where its going, you know that little bit, thats totally beyond earths current scientific knowledge at the moment, but, i do love it when they say 4, 3, 2, 1....hehe.

Last edited by president doc on 11-26-2001 at 10:48 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-26-2001 10:46 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Is it possible that they're just (very accurately ) estimating?

Old Post 11-27-2001 04:51 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

no, its just a cool gimmick. the whole dematerialisation thing on the computer screen, etc etc, besides, it is meant to be instantaneous, not very fast, and god knows what that thing is everytime they step though, if theyve dematerialised, they cant see anything anyway, and its instantaneous, so blah blah blah.

(i could go into all the movies problems, what with them being able to do the same thing on the gates first activation, the numerous inconsistancies which has now come to simply be a difference, and the fact that they managed to trace the passage of material through a wormhole through 3d space on a 2d representation on a pane of glass...wtf? lol, sigh, not to mention that even in the show, they kinda keep it upto current knowledge levels, the wormhole opens an extradimensional conduit etc, and they wouldnt be able to trace its passage in normal bloody space as it would be in a higher dimension, bypassing ours, and hence instanbloodytaneous anyways...SIGH )

Last edited by president doc on 11-27-2001 at 06:56 PM

Old Post 11-27-2001 06:51 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

WARNING! This post contains spoilers for the Season 6 Episode '48 Houis'

Spoiler:

okay, not that we really know much about this episode (or at least, i dont) but the tiny little blurb on it over at Gammaquad (sorry, i cant help but use it's old name - the SG-1 Archive, i mean) suggests that teal'c gets 'stuck in transit', i assume in the wormhole...? I am fearfull of this episode..

With so many holes in the cannon and theories behind the wormhole and how it functions, the continual dissagreements amoungst the fans on how the wormhole actually works, and how the show contradicts itself time and time again (etc etc etc), this could REALLY throw a grenade into the mix... It will either a) finally explain how it all works and how they are able to track within a wormhole (unlikely) or b) make it even more confusing, create even more debate, and give us nitpicking fodder for the next century!!!

Why does this remind me of Chris Carter's attempt to explain the mythos of the X Files..
"This is the theory! no wait, i dont like that idea.. here's what REALLY happened!! I lied, it's really all about THIS. Ah stuff it, here;s something i pulled out of my ass.... (proceeds to change the cannon at will....)"

Old Post 11-28-2001 02:26 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mor

Sorry....But I disagree P-Doc....

You need 6 positions to determine the exact point in space...remember that you are dealing with a whole box not half a box so there are the coordinates in the 'negative zone' too

Old Post 11-30-2001 01:02 AM
Mor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mor Click here to Send Mor a Private Message Find more posts by Mor Add Mor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

That is what I was trying to say in a previous post. You have to have a point in space called (0,0,0). Maybe they hadn't mapped every corner of space when the stargates where placed all around space. I think Mor is right, even though the 3-point stuff is right in math if you can start from one central point and work your way out.

Old Post 11-30-2001 01:28 AM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

no me dear lad, you do not need six points in space, unless mathematicians have been going about it all wrong for hundreds of years! you only need 3 points, an x-coordinate, a y-coordinate, and a z-axis coordinate to locate any point in 3 dimensional space.

it also backs up why each stargate should have a different set of glyphs from any other stargate, besides the fact that no planet should be able to see teh same constellations, each stargate uses its own point as teh 'point of origin'. sound familiar? , hence we are zero coordinate, the point of origin so to speak, in the movie,...'sigh', mr d jackson drew some ridiculous box, the way he showed it, they could have done it with 3 coordinates, but ya know what i always say... sigh

Last edited by president doc on 11-30-2001 at 10:52 AM

Old Post 11-30-2001 10:48 AM
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by president doc
no me dear lad, you do not need six points in space, unless mathematicians have been going about it all wrong for hundreds of years! you only need 3 points, an x-coordinate, a y-coordinate, and a z-axis coordinate to locate any point in 3 dimensional space.

Please explain this CLEARLY and WITH PUNCTUATION!! .... please? I'm intrigued...

Old Post 11-30-2001 10:52 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Oh, please.

You need six points to map something in space because you have no universal point of reference to determine where 0x,0y,0z is at! Sure, you could use the point of origin, but the PoO is different for each world!

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 11-30-2001 11:09 PM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

The point of origin is different for every planet, thats why we have a point of origin symbol on each dhd, and you only need 3 points from there on, heaven knows what they were thinking when they came up with the idea of using a constellation as a fixed point(oh yeah, what looks good), when a constelation is nothing but a bunch of stars, often seperated by dozens of light years... if you were to use six points, and draw a line between two points(I wont say constelations as thats just not feasable...but lets say two arbitrary points) as shown in the movie, from on side of a cube to another..... then you draw another line between 2 other points, and then another line between another 2 points, im virtually guarantying you those lines are not going to intersect in any one point!

They just made a quick 2 minute answer for the movie, but it doesnt really work.

there arent many, nay, any other ways they could have done the gate thing though without making it look a bit crapper, couldnt just have 4 cheverons to lock lol, or just random dialing of 'phone numbers' would have eliminated all the crap technobabble in which sam pretends she can calculate where they are going to go from the coordinates, and a mathematical system using pulsars as becons and the galatic centre as a point of origina, the plane as one axis, and some other form of reference as another axis, well, that would have been just too...esoteric!!!

Last edited by president doc on 11-30-2001 at 11:24 PM

Old Post 11-30-2001 11:19 PM
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
They just made a quick 2 minute answer for the movie, but it doesnt really work
Yes, it does actually. Using 6 landmarks in space can can form a point in three-d space. The only problem with your idea, as if it hasn't been said by myself and others, is you have to have a giant grid of space to pin point a position in space. This is getting old, unless someone else could come up with another arguement for their point.

Old Post 11-30-2001 11:33 PM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

sigh, no need for another argument, im just saying, you..do..not..need..six...coordinates in space to locate a point... let me try and explain clearly.

In the movie, he drew a cube, on each face of the cube, he drew a dot, correct? yup!, now, from one face to the opposite face, he connected the dots! however, the way he did it, each dot was at the centre of each face, hence the lines met, now thats fine if you have six points that magically can fit onto the centre of six faces of a cube, however, if they dont, none of the lines will intersect, and you havent definied any point in 3 dimensional space!!!

Im going to go with the idea that a constellation is a point in space just for convenience sake here.

If anything, this shows the need for a frame of reference! The way he showed the six points in the movie, each point corresponding with its counterpart on the opposite face, so that the lines would intersect, he could have had the same result with 3 coordinates, if they didnt correspond, you just could not define a point in space!!! try it, draw 2 cubes, on one, draw corresponding points on opposite faces all designed so that the lines intersect at one point, and youll see you could use just 3 cartesian coordinates to define that point, now on the other, draw six dots, one on each face, in a radom spot on the face, draw a line between the opposite faces and youll see that the lines do not intersect! that is the best way i can think of putting my point across on this board!

Last edited by president doc on 11-30-2001 at 11:49 PM

Old Post 11-30-2001 11:47 PM
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
draw a line between the opposite faces and youll see that the lines do not intersect! that is the best way i can think of putting my point across on this board!

I understand your point, I like to think of myself as a math person as well. I have an idea about that arguement though. That maybe the reason they had to allign the gate. The points of the constalations had moved all over the face of the squire. You have a point though about just using a point in the constalations because they are so broad.
But do you get my point that if you do not have a giant grid representing space, that you would be unable to have 3 points to find a specific point.

Old Post 11-30-2001 11:56 PM
president doc

you would need a point of reference, yes, something to form a grid by, what im tryin to say is that they way it was explained by ole doctor jackson, it would have needed a grid anyway, not to mention that if that were the case, it would need just 3 coordinates, if they orginally all were in the centre of the faces, there would be no need for them to use 6 coordinates! lol.

I guess what im trying to say is, sure, you would need some conditions to even use teh standard 3 coordinate system, but there just isnt really any basis to use a 6 coordinate system except for that guy...whats his name, ..you know, the one who goes, CHEVERON 6 ENCODED..jhnuuuuuuuuuup.

Old Post 12-01-2001 12:10 AM
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Yea, if they used the 3 point system everyone would think the people in the movie were complete idiots being they couldn't get a right address using 4 points in 2 years. 7 points makes it more understandable that they couldn't get it right.

Old Post 12-01-2001 12:16 AM