Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Shadow Play Discussed -- SPOILERS
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tina_als_girl
Calavicci's Girl

Thumbs up

I have never seen, and don't plan to see, "A Beautiful Mind". So, I went into "Shadow Play" with a completely open mind. And I loved it.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED... well, I'm sure you get the picture. ;-) Dean Stockwell (oh, yeah, FYI: he's my absolute favorite actor) was SOOOOO wonderful in this episode!

My wish came true last night: Dean got to be in a few scenes with Richard Dean Anderson... I loved the wonderful looks on Dean's face whenever O'Neill would throw out one of his typical comments.

Dean Stockwell was, as he always is in a guest spot on a show, the best part of the episode. His portrayal of a man with an ill mind was touching and sad. I noticed how he only seemed to get those headaches whenever he was having a hallucination; nice touch.

Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed that we didn't learn much about Jonas, but maybe since Dr. Kieran didn't die (I had originally thought that perhaps that would happen; don't ask me why... I just did), Jonas might see him again and we could learn more about their relationship and Jonas' past. Of course, so far as I know, Dean won't be back on the show this season, so who knows.

I was fortunate enough to have been able to watch "Meridian" earlier yesterday (huge file, but it was very high quality), so I wasn't lost at all watching "Shadow Play".

I loved it when that woman from the delegation asked SG-1 if they had been in contact with their leaders, and O'Neill quipped, "Why, yes, we have..." Pause. "They send their best." *laughs heartily* I still can't get over that one.

Another O'Neill quote that I loved was closer to the beginning... The delegation is talking... and I can't remember what was said, but O'Neill's response was, "Did you ever think that maybe we don't care?" (or something like that)... A very "loud" comment, but it sure got his viewpoint across... Very good scene.

Ah, heck... every scene in this episode was wonderful. I loved it when Dr. Kieran was hallucinating an image of Jonas... You could tell when it was an image and when it was really Jonas.

The first time I watched the episode, that first scene after Jonas talked to that head-minister-person-thingie, when Dr. Kieran was in his (office?), Jonas seemed a bit off to me, too... Then I gasped, thinking his change of attitude was because he'd decided to trade the info the head-minister-person had asked for... But, then, I thought about it and realized Jonas was better than that. So, I puzzled over it. It wasn't until my second viewing later last night that I realized it was one of Dr. Kieran's hallucinations.

I had already known Dr. Kieran was schizophrenic from reading spoilers, but the hallucinations part didn't register with me 'til I remembered the "Touched By An Angel" episode that had dealt with the illness last season..... That's when I realized that Dr. Kieran was hallucinating... And, immediately, I suspected that the whole resistance did not exist. And I suspected right.

Very poignant scene (thanks to... someone-on-another-board-who-I-can't-remember-their-name... for that description) at the end, when Dr. Kieran is talking to the real Jonas, and looks up and sees the resistance-leader-guy, and Jonas looks up and sees nothing.

Anyway, a really touching episode, and my absolute favorite out of all the episodes I have seen so far (with the exception of "Cold Lazarus"... what an episode!)

Joy

PS: I'm guessing the suits and ties and the style of them were used in order to help the audience easily realize the fact that Kelowna is equivalent to our '30s or '40s (correct?).

PSS: I agree. Jonas is no Daniel. But he's not *supposed* to be. He's supposed to be his own individual character, and I believe he is. Just a warning to you folks: I'm a Jonasarian.

Last edited by tina_als_girl on 07-27-2002 at 11:45 PM

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 07-27-2002 11:40 PM
tina_als_girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tina_als_girl Click here to Send tina_als_girl a Private Message Visit tina_als_girl's homepage! Find more posts by tina_als_girl Add tina_als_girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoJo
Sam/McKay Shipper

tina_als_girl wrote:

quote:
I have never seen, and don't plan to see, "A Beautiful Mind

Why the hostility towards "A Beautiful Mind"? It was a very good movie. (I love Denzel, but IMHO, Crowe should have gotten the Oscar.)

Anyway, Dean Stockwell always gives a good performance.

Old Post 07-28-2002 12:46 AM
JoJo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JoJo Click here to Send JoJo a Private Message Visit JoJo's homepage! Find more posts by JoJo Add JoJo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

quote:
Originally posted by Brent
We have yet ANOTHER show where they arent traveling to some new world investigating new civilizations or tech

Ummm... not new, but the Naquadria stuff?!?!?

Anyway, I liked "A Beautiful Mind" and so did I.

'Nuff stupid jokes.

I liked it because it wasn't a "fluffy new culture with new doo-dads we can't have or get to work or they end up destroyed before the episode's over" kinda' episode.

The nifty reversal on the higher developed versus lower developed societies was pretty good to, as someone's mentioned.

Jonas is not Daniel... inspite of a touch of the bright-eyed optimism he had at least in the beginning.

The Intar confused me too.

Why was it used then? and then how did the Professor know about them?

The red brick and the old-style suits and "imperealistic era" uniforms were interesting touches.

Admittedly, the likelihood two cultures would individually both come up with something as useless as a tie is bloody unlikely, but it did give a "'30's" era feel to the show.

(I was waiting for Ming the Merciless and Flash Gordon to arrive once or twice...)

It definietly showed Jonas as a more realistic idealist than Daniel's "pie-in-the sky" humanist.

It showed him as unsure of himself sometimes, but still wanting to do the right thing by his new friends.

I don't know if it's good or bad.

A lot of the episode seemed to happen between the filmed parts...

...and a lot of little scenes here and there instead of the more usual, more intensive longer scenes all give it a different sort of "feel" like Nightwalkers did.

It's different and the team dynamic's changed...

...and RDA isn't stealing all the screen time.

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 07-28-2002 02:12 AM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shaneo

Shadow Play was kinda a dissapointment.. No action at all.. And just when u think something's going to happen you find out the dudes got schizophrenia and it's not real.. Eh at least season 6 can't get any worse.. i hope!

Old Post 07-28-2002 02:29 AM
Shaneo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shaneo Click here to Send Shaneo a Private Message Visit Shaneo's homepage! Find more posts by Shaneo Add Shaneo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

quote:
Originally posted by kmg
I liked the episode, but I felt SG1 sat in the background. I felt the design and plot of this episode was to break Jonas away from the Daniel Jackson image. He's now his own character, and you could see how CN was pretty comfortable playing him.

I agree completely - this was an episode to develop Jonas into a more multi-dimensional character, his own character, and on that level I think it worked.

quote:
..During the chase, he fights back using an intar. I suspected something wasn't right when in an earlier scene we saw Jonas' personality changed. If the professor was imagining the chase, how did he know about intars?

THANK YOU! Exactly! that made no sense to me at all................

quote:
one point, I was waiting for the chancellor (?) to admit having a thing for Jonas....or was I imagining that?

weeellllll....... i thought there was something there, but actually I was expecting Jonas to say "hi, Dad" or something like that.

quote:

Now, I'm not critizing them, but what has AT and TR done with their hair?

I'll criticize!!!!I thought TR looked awful. I even stopped my tape (watched it on tape, not live), and rolled it back in shock -- what did they do, hire a new hairstylist who hates women? Jeez.

All in all not a great episode.

Old Post 07-28-2002 06:04 AM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nug
Melon

I've often been told, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. And this concludes nug's review of Shadow Play.

Old Post 07-28-2002 10:51 AM
nug is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nug Click here to Send nug a Private Message Find more posts by nug Add nug to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kmg

quote:
Originally posted by nug
I've often been told, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. And this concludes nug's review of Shadow Play.

That's exactly how I felt with Nightwalkers!

Old Post 07-28-2002 01:58 PM
kmg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kmg Click here to Send kmg a Private Message Find more posts by kmg Add kmg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KMInfinity
Nereid

On second viewing, and after reading this thread....

quote:
If you gave the purified raw materials design schematics needed to build a pentium IV chip to an 18th century scientist, im pretty sure the first few tries would be pretty unsuccesful, but why? theyve got all they need right..

Great point Doc.... One of my favorite time travel books is based on that idea--- De Camp's Lest Darkness Fall-- The main character travels back in time, wants to prevent the fall of the Roman Empire, but every single thing he wants to "invent" requires him to invent 20 other things....

**I agree there should have been a subplot with Jack dealing with the after-effects of Abyss.

*One big problem with "A Beautuful Mind" (a brilliant pic) and all the other shows dealing with schizophrenia, is that hallucinations are very very rare---especially such detailed ones.. Voices, yeah, bizarre ideas, yeah.... So the intar blooper is especially weird... Could a scene have been cut? Maybe that scene wasn't a hallucination. Jonas did go with the Prof to see where he would go, humoring him. They really were chased by the local cops who have no idea of the situation.... Prof falls, a local appears... Jonas backs away and has to let the local "find" the prof..... The cut scene (OR SCENES) would be Jonas looking on as the local finds the prof. Maybe a setup scene explaining the local cops aren't in the loop.

quote:
weeellllll....... i thought there was something there, but actually I was expecting Jonas to say "hi, Dad" or something like that.

ITA----My exact thoughts..... More evidence of foreshadowing a goa'uld attack.... Jonas gets to watch from space as his homeworld blows, after a heartfelt exchange with dad?

*Some people are making the comment that "Of course Jonas is different from Daniel"... I agree. And his character is indeed getting more defined. My point is that, without the history and backstory, he still doesn't interact well with SG1 and the folks at SGC. It's not his fault, just a fact due to his "newness". My comment originally was that the producers erred by putting this show back-to-back with Abyss because it highlighted the whole Daniel-Jonas issue, and not in a way that favored Jonas.

*Dean Stockwell was great. I loved him in QL-- I kept waiting for him to address SG1 Sam with his QL voice, "Sa-am..." I would have preferred to see him in some more interesting role, however. Maybe as a Tokra.....

What's remarkable about science fiction is that it's literature at its best. It doesn't exist because high schools require students to read it, or because grants are given out for it.... or because colleges have embedded it in their curriculum. It exists because it speaks to people. James Morrow

Old Post 07-28-2002 02:21 PM
KMInfinity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KMInfinity Click here to Send KMInfinity a Private Message Find more posts by KMInfinity Add KMInfinity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kmg

quote:
Originally posted by KMInfinity
On second viewing, and after reading this thread....

*Dean Stockwell was great. I loved him in QL-- I kept waiting for him to address SG1 Sam with his QL voice, "Sa-am..." I would have preferred to see him in some more interesting role, however. Maybe as a Tokra.....

Awww man, I forgot about that! It would have been sooo cool to hear him say "Sa-am"!

Old Post 07-28-2002 02:37 PM
kmg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kmg Click here to Send kmg a Private Message Find more posts by kmg Add kmg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
j.oneill
Colonel US Air Force

Shadow Play...??
No action, no O?Neill sarcasm, no Sam / Jack moments...
There is only one word
B O R I N G !!!!!

Col. Jack O`Neill

Old Post 07-28-2002 03:53 PM
j.oneill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for j.oneill Click here to Send j.oneill a Private Message Find more posts by j.oneill Add j.oneill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

What was that story?

"The Cross-Time Engineer" series, I never found the last 2, but it was interesting about the invent to invent concept...

...But, honestly, if you look at our history, sometimes we had the technology all the time and didn't have the data to build it...

...DYK, that they were building jet engines before WWII?

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 07-28-2002 05:02 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tina_als_girl
Calavicci's Girl

quote:
Originally posted by JoJo
Why the hostility towards "A Beautiful Mind"? It was a very good movie. (I love Denzel, but IMHO, Crowe should have gotten the Oscar.)

I don't have any hostility toward it. Sorry if it sounded like that. I'm just not interested in it.

quote:
Anyway, Dean Stockwell always gives a good performance.

I definitely agree--and not just because I'm a huge fan of his. He really, truly is a great actor.

Joy

Old Post 07-28-2002 05:21 PM
tina_als_girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tina_als_girl Click here to Send tina_als_girl a Private Message Visit tina_als_girl's homepage! Find more posts by tina_als_girl Add tina_als_girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In 2 Deep
Warmaster

Good in theory - crap in practise

The whole episode went way too slow for me, no real action or humour.

History is on the move. Those who can not keep up will watch from behind. Those who stand in our way shall watch at all......

Old Post 07-28-2002 10:15 PM
In 2 Deep is offline Click Here to See the Profile for In 2 Deep Click here to Send In 2 Deep a Private Message Find more posts by In 2 Deep Add In 2 Deep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

its in the list of my least favourite eps... but i didnt absolutly hate it! i was expecting dean to start smoking a cigar and get out his little gadget and say .... well i have no idea what he used to say??

The shipper revoloution is coming you just dont know when or where!

November 24th gaters! Puddy turns 16!!

Old Post 07-29-2002 08:41 AM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Dean stockwell from quantum leap? Wo0t... heh, I can picture Jonas and that guy being alone together, at which point, Jonas says:
"Al... when the hell am I gonna leap?"
Al:" Look Sam, Ziggy says theres a 99 percent chance of you leaping if you make Sam love you and make sure Daniel never returns to the SGC"

Old Post 07-29-2002 08:58 AM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote