Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Off Topic > *NOTICE* Behaviour and Posting Warning!
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
president doc

It means this thread is locked.. haha, naa, not really.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-16-2002 09:23 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

And so the mods learn to distinguish what is on topic, what is spam, and what is off topic. If the debate evolves into something 'off topic' (which is not always 'spam'), then we reserve the right to split/merge the threads or posts. This is what should happen. Who are we to decide what stays and what doesn't? Gods, thats who.

This place isn't a party conversation. More a study/discussion group, like a university tute debate. It is bound by loose rules of etiquite and overseen by the lecturer (or in this case, the mods), who has the right to cut in and get the discussion back on topic.

The party threads are just that. Party threads or Spam or things in off topic that allow loose discussion of their own topics.

Learn the difference.

Old Post 12-17-2002 12:28 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Venus

Could you please explain clearly (maybe in the FAQ/livejournal page or here) what belongs in which forum. I think I understand it, but there seems to be ongoing confusion with some other members - that General Forum means General stuff (related to SG or not), and Off Topic means that the thread can go off topic or something.

Old Post 12-17-2002 09:41 AM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

The topic of gaters.net is Stargate.

The general forum is for general things about stargate and that is all not about anything else...anything not about Stargate is off topic. The running of this board is also off topic such as threads about putting more avvy's up and such...All threads should stay on topic as the topic of the conversation is the title of the thread... J,K answered the off topic question more in her last post.

Old Post 12-17-2002 12:39 PM
chameleon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chameleon Click here to Send chameleon a Private Message Visit chameleon's homepage! Find more posts by chameleon Add chameleon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy
Speaker-Second Foundation

I don't think there's so much confusion about general categories for topics. I think there's confusion (at least I'm confused) about how you each define "off topic" (please read my last post). Some mods think it's necessary to Nuke any post that strays even a milimeter - others give more leniency. I just have to say that if I post a comment to someone's post that strays SOME, but is still loosely related - I would hope it wouldn't be Nuked. I think it's imposing too strict a measure. So, please, all you Mods - can you discuss amongst yourselves so there's some consistency. Also, if a thread seems to be going off-topic... before closing the thread, can you please simply post a warning. At that point in time if the thread continues off topic, then close it and yell till you're blue in the face. We'd deserve it!

Last edited by Roy on 12-17-2002 at 03:55 PM

Old Post 12-17-2002 02:51 PM
Roy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Click here to Send Roy a Private Message Find more posts by Roy Add Roy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

I've never seen any of the mods nuke something that was just a little off-topic (or even a lot off-topic, there they usually either give a warning, close the thread of both). I've only seen posts nuked if they were part of a conversation, flame or spam (as in not even closely related to the topic and so on).

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-17-2002 05:06 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy
Speaker-Second Foundation

I had three nuked in one day. Maybe in one case, i'd agree that it went too far off-topic. The others were acceptable in my opinion (sarcastic - but on-topic and unoffensive). I had never been nuked before - I just think it's strange to have three posts nuked in one day - no warning. I then read through this thread and I'm still uncertain what the standards are. From what I can gather, there aren't any. It's up to the subjective opinions of the Mods. If there aren't any clear guidelines, then how are we to know. Obviously, some things are clear. Someone posting abusive language that directly attacks a user should be straight out. Also, if a thread goes off-topic to the point of "loose discussion" (party thread), then it should be moderated(look up the definition). I think what happened is that some mods actually go through these in detail maybe once a week, then they just go crazy nuking stuff and closing threads. It seems abrupt and inconsistent.

Old Post 12-17-2002 07:49 PM
Roy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Click here to Send Roy a Private Message Find more posts by Roy Add Roy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

They are gone through every day not once a week.

Old Post 12-17-2002 11:01 PM
chameleon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chameleon Click here to Send chameleon a Private Message Visit chameleon's homepage! Find more posts by chameleon Add chameleon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

there aren't any 'consistant rules' because every nukage and thread closing and warning is done on a case by case basis. Sometimes warnings aren't given, because the posters have had ample warning in the past and should know better. Sometimes the nukes aren't personal but a warning to the posters in the ENTIRE thread.

Follow the guidelines in the FAQ and you should be okay. If something gets Nuked, dont stress about it or get offended - hell, mods nukes each other half the time...

EDIT: yeah, I also love doc, dont get so distraught.

Last edited by president doc on 12-18-2002 at 12:59 AM

Old Post 12-18-2002 12:41 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chameleon
Negotiator of Chaos

I hate to point this out but there is a FAQ which should be read and answers are given to most of the questions asked here.

Old Post 12-18-2002 01:45 AM
Venus

Well maybe you're the best person to point out to The Keeper that it should be put somewhere where newbies will read it. I'm not gonna go around linking it forever, and it's unlikely those that actually need to read it will find it.

Old Post 12-18-2002 09:08 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

Doc, you're a bloody smart ass. Abuse of power that was!

Venus - agreed. But, it is at the top of the first forum, so i figured that was a good a place as any.

Not that it's been edited/amended since it was first written, of course.. *sheepish grin*

Old Post 12-19-2002 12:52 AM
Venus

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffa, Kree!
Not that it's been edited/amended since it was first written, of course.. *sheepish grin*

Does it need to be?

Old Post 12-19-2002 09:54 AM
Mac
eeeeevil herbivore

Maybe we should put it at the top of every forum?

Old Post 12-19-2002 12:21 PM
Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mac Click here to Send Mac a Private Message Find more posts by Mac Add Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

Would it make a difference?

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-19-2002 09:48 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote