Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Eye of Ra (minor full circle spoiler)
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
D?W?R
*NUKED* *
TheOneKEA
*NUKED* *
Jaffa, Kree!

yes, i think it would be cool that the.. er.. 'gong' type thing is part of the weapon - however, i think that a) the prop has long since been destroyed and b) this weapon will be some other boring glowing/crystal driven contraption that they have as 'great weapons' in all the other episodes. and it will be dark grey/black, with gold tinge. BORING, in other words.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-25-2002 01:12 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kaijyu
*NUKED* *
Indiana
I'm a Junkie-Monkey!

Location: Incommincado Tyler Durden says: Do we really need another women?

The production designer Richard hudolin who was production designer up until season five has left. Perhaps this change may proove to be beneficial to the new Season of Stargate.

About the eye of Ra. I read myself that they used the Eye of Horus and that there is no such thing as the Eye of Ra. Is this true?

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Old Post 10-26-2002 10:27 AM
Indiana is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana Click here to Send Indiana a Private Message Visit Indiana's homepage! Find more posts by Indiana Add Indiana to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

I think we'll have to ask Venus about this...

The 'eye' is used in almost all aspects of life, and it had so many meanings...

The 'Eye of horus' is refering to the wounded eye Horus the Flacon sustained in battle with Seth (i think???) and it has the 'tear drop' falling downwards that you can see in the 'Eye' used in the film.
I think the 'Eye of Ra' is just the 'all seeing eye' and is invoked to ward off evil or something... They do both existed, but are often mistaken. They each have a distinctive look - at least to those who know to look, i guess. I cant remember all the differences exactly.

Old Post 10-28-2002 03:43 AM
Jaffa, Kree! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jaffa, Kree! Click here to Send Jaffa, Kree! a Private Message Find more posts by Jaffa, Kree! Add Jaffa, Kree! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nekotime

From a brief googlism, I've basically identified that the Eye of Ra is a rather good looking piece of jewellery.

The other thing that it appears to be is a like Ra's goon squad. One of the pages mentions the Eye of Ra mentions Sekhmet as "the eye of ra"

Mind you, in the set of contexts mention on that page, the "eye of ra" sounds more like it's a hit squad used by Ra for self defence. The impression is that a few different god/goddesses apparently worked as the "eyes of ra" or "eye of ra".

Then again, I could be creating Ra with a little too much in the way of bodyguards and "god(dess) as weapons"

Anyway, for the eye of horus, JK needs to look to her arm, and the rest of us for Google's image search. The jewellery link has a nice photo of the eye of ra

Neko

Old Post 10-28-2002 08:28 AM
Nekotime is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nekotime Click here to Send Nekotime a Private Message Visit Nekotime's homepage! Find more posts by Nekotime Add Nekotime to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mad

Well this quote "She is the personification of the fierce, scorching, and destructive heat of the sun's rays. She took up her position on the head of her father Ra, and poured out from herself the blazing fire which scorched and consumed any of his enemies who came near, and at those who were far away she shot forth swift fiery darts which pierced through the fiends whom they struck." If that description is used in the ep then it may indicate a ship of great power or some sort of space-based weapon.

Old Post 10-28-2002 08:44 AM
Mad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mad Click here to Send Mad a Private Message Find more posts by Mad Add Mad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nekotime

"those who were far away she shot forth swift fiery darts which pierced through the fiends whom they struck"

If it's a person/creature/non-weapon, then I'd say you've got a sniper.

If it's a weapon, it'd be rather impressive to watch in use (assuming it's being used by your side)

Neko

Old Post 10-28-2002 08:48 AM
Nekotime is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nekotime Click here to Send Nekotime a Private Message Visit Nekotime's homepage! Find more posts by Nekotime Add Nekotime to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jaffa, Kree!

hmmm.. jewellery is no indication that they've gotten the mythology right.

I mean, if a movie cant do its research properly...

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/galle...tian/horus.html

the 'Eye of Ra (Re)' was just another word for 'sun', as the sky/earth was supposedly created from him, his body parts.

also for more info, and comparisons, poke around the rest of the site:

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mytho...n/articles.html

Old Post 10-29-2002 02:28 AM
Nekotime

I have no doubt the movie will get it wrong in favour of making it "look cool".

The jewellery pic I found was from another source of horrible innaccuracy - tourism photos from a museum trip

Both look pretty. One potentially could be cool and symbolic (but my money is on it being the wrong one. Probably they'll just take the coolest looking one that films well and call it Ra.

$
(must not make egyptian god cheersquad jokes)

Old Post 10-29-2002 04:52 AM
Jaffa, Kree!

the picture of the jewelery was quite nice. it's a section of a very famous, and widely used in many reproductions of A.E art. Hell, i've even got a bit of it at home.
Though i cant remember if its from the Book of the Dead (unlikely) or from the Tomb of King Tut.

It was part of a pectorial plate, i think. the eye, ueraus (cobra) and vulture of the royals.

Kiya, Venus - at any point, jump in to corect me!

Old Post 10-29-2002 04:58 AM
_.:?nubis:._
Man of less sorrow

Location: Apologising to all the members who i called idiots.

God knows where the real book of the dead is, we have soo far only discovered copies and extracts.

Old Post 10-29-2002 05:06 AM
_.:?nubis:._ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for _.:?nubis:._ Click here to Send _.:?nubis:._ a Private Message Visit _.:?nubis:._'s homepage! Find more posts by _.:?nubis:._ Add _.:?nubis:._ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nekotime

From memory, the site said it was from the Tomb of King Tut. Apparently the tomb is empty now, and the treasures are at the museum.

$

Old Post 10-29-2002 05:06 AM
Jaffa, Kree!

Anubis - the original...? long gone, i'd say. copies were made by priests for millenia, so there is probably dozens still around. The texts are on the walls of tombs, and yes, several texts were found - most likely temples, or tombs.

Old Post 10-29-2002 08:27 AM