Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > In-Depth Discussions > Stargate explorers...?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bikemancs
See you in January

Stargate explorers...?

(this may be in the wrong post location)

But the following question just popped into my head. Why has the SGC not run into another similar program from another world? I mean, we can't be the only planet that has the desire for explination and the only planet that has found teh Gate.

There are a few options:
1. A private company on another planet has found thegate and is going through in an attempt to gain monitary/technological advantage

2. Gov;t has it but isn't using it (aka 1969)

3. Gov't has it and is sending people through we just haven't run into them

4. they have been destroyed by the goa'uld.
--why not find their facility...a similar set up to how the SGC is run...

anyone care to comment?

I will see you next year because that's when I'll be back on. have a merry christmas a Happy New Year and a good holiday for those of you for whom the above does not apply.

ANUBIS you still have to send me your pic!!!!!!! :angry:

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-09-2002 04:10 AM
bikemancs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bikemancs Click here to Send bikemancs a Private Message Visit bikemancs's homepage! Find more posts by bikemancs Add bikemancs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

The lab in the Season 1 episode "There But for the Grace of God" fit the bill for idea #4.

The chance of another Stargate exploratory team would have to be factored by the number of worlds that have 1> an operating Stargate; 2> liberty from Goa'uld rule (which factor #1 almost always prevents); 3> military or technical capabilities to execute such missions and survive the perils that come (imagine a world with the medical sophistication of 18th century Earth doing this, then coming back from the "Bane" bug-world).

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-09-2002 04:17 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

As it may be, I do like the idea of another race's Stargate exploratory team. Perhaps one who likes to operate covertly by disguising themselves in unsophisticated garb (like robes and cloaks reminiscent of medieval fare) and seek to learn about other world's civilization by observing quietly and meekly.

I can see the fanfic scene now: a world whose level of technology fits that of the Middle Ages. In walks SG-1, wearing their clearly alien garb and openly carrying advanced weapons, inciting the fear and/or suspicion of the locals. They stop by a tavern, get in a bit of the local flavor, and Jack notes the silent trio in the corner wearing their traveling cloaks and doing their best imitation of a hole in the darkness. Jonas incites a 'misunderstanding', Teal'c kicks a drunkard's ass, and a barfight ensues. SG-1 is being overwhelmed when the silent trio pull out intar pistols and shock sticks, handily subduing the crowd and introducing themselves properly to the gang as Planet So-and-So's equivalent of SG-1.

These folks don't take too kindly to SG-1's overt displays of alien-ness and force, and try to convince the gang to be a bit more discreet when they go offworld. Jack spouts off the moral benefits of openly showing their hand, and the inherent distrust of "spying" on folks in disguise.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-09-2002 at 04:28 AM

Old Post 12-09-2002 04:26 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bikemancs
See you in January

yeah...the Goa'uld factor is the most likely problem

like teh idea in that second post

I will see you next year because that's when I'll be back on. have a merry christmas a Happy New Year and a good holiday for those of you for whom the above does not apply.

ANUBIS you still have to send me your pic!!!!!!! :angry:

Old Post 12-09-2002 04:26 AM
bikemancs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bikemancs Click here to Send bikemancs a Private Message Visit bikemancs's homepage! Find more posts by bikemancs Add bikemancs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
320rwekfpl
Evil Incarnated

The Gou'ald factor probably isn't a problem. Remember Aschen. It seems like the isn't that almighty. After all they did get their butts kicked by ancient egyptian spearmens.
You forgot two scenarios BTW.

5. A totalitarian group is holding the Stargate(the Other Side).
6. The Stargate is kept hidden due to religous beliefs(A New Ground).

(It could be argued about 6/ but it's probable evolvement of the situation since we last saw them. But then again it could be argued with the fact that there science was much more advanced than ours and so on and on and on).

Old Post 12-09-2002 05:02 AM
320rwekfpl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 320rwekfpl Click here to Send 320rwekfpl a Private Message Visit 320rwekfpl's homepage! Find more posts by 320rwekfpl Add 320rwekfpl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

The Aschen hardly qualify. They did not have full access to the Stargate system. They could only dial a few worlds closest to them, akin to Earth only being able to dial up Ernest's planet and Abydos before they were able to acquire the map. The Aschen were not dominated by the Goa'uld because they did not have any contact with them! (in their modern state)

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-09-2002 02:38 PM
Roy
Speaker-Second Foundation

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
The lab in the Season 1 episode "There But for the Grace of God" fit the bill for idea #4.

The chance of another Stargate exploratory team would have to be factored by the number of worlds that have 1> an operating Stargate; 2> liberty from Goa'uld rule (which factor #1 almost always prevents); 3> military or technical capabilities to execute such missions and survive the perils that come (imagine a world with the medical sophistication of 18th century Earth doing this, then coming back from the "Bane" bug-world).

I'd like to add another criteria to RH's... 4>They'd need to addresses to the other worlds. SGC got em from Abydos. They might exist elsewhere but I doubt that this list of gates is easy to get - for a race as underdeveloped as humans.

Last edited by Roy on 12-09-2002 at 03:56 PM

Old Post 12-09-2002 03:53 PM
Roy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Click here to Send Roy a Private Message Find more posts by Roy Add Roy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mad

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
As it may be, I do like the idea of another race's Stargate exploratory team. Perhaps one who likes to operate covertly by disguising themselves in unsophisticated garb (like robes and cloaks reminiscent of medieval fare) and seek to learn about other world's civilization by observing quietly and meekly.

I can see the fanfic scene now: a world whose level of technology fits that of the Middle Ages. In walks SG-1, wearing their clearly alien garb and openly carrying advanced weapons, inciting the fear and/or suspicion of the locals. They stop by a tavern, get in a bit of the local flavor, and Jack notes the silent trio in the corner wearing their traveling cloaks and doing their best imitation of a hole in the darkness. Jonas incites a 'misunderstanding', Teal'c kicks a drunkard's ass, and a barfight ensues. SG-1 is being overwhelmed when the silent trio pull out intar pistols and shock sticks, handily subduing the crowd and introducing themselves properly to the gang as Planet So-and-So's equivalent of SG-1.

These folks don't take too kindly to SG-1's overt displays of alien-ness and force, and try to convince the gang to be a bit more discreet when they go offworld. Jack spouts off the moral benefits of openly showing their hand, and the inherent distrust of "spying" on folks in disguise.

I love that idea. Mind if I use it in a fanfic I am writing?

Old Post 12-12-2002 09:06 AM
Mad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mad Click here to Send Mad a Private Message Find more posts by Mad Add Mad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Johnvb

Interesting comments, it seems that half the universe seems happy to live an ignorant life without needing to explore....after all ignorance is bliss. I think for those that do choose to do so....ie Earth, TBFTGOD civilisation and in many respects Apophis (COTG)...they generally run into trouble. Maybe this reluctance to travel is due to an understanding that if they do it will bring about disasters, i mean if the SGC hadn't started up again then they wouldn't have really been troubled by the goa-uld, not for a while anyway. So thus the names for the Stargate which we have heard reference to in many episodes by people such as the 'circle of woes' and the 'cirque-decona' (i think) may reflect the reluctance for the weaker, less advanced civilisations to explore. In reality the gate is used as a tool by all exploring races...not just the goa-uld, use to increase their power and position on an intergalactic level, it is almost paradoxical as the SGC dislike the goa-uld for posing as gods and utilising others' technology yet the Asgard are pretty similar (Red Sky).

So exploration can either be liberating and beneficial, or it can be disastrous as William Blake realised that innocence is the contrary to experience and with experience simple, pure creatures such as the lamb can be turned into evil manifestations like the Tyger, thus a civilisation must reach a certain level before it begins to explore or else it will struggle to come to terms with knowledge that had once seemed so impossible, yet was the reality behind the fa?ade of life as they knew it.....Hence the Nox's famous phrase...'very young'.

Last edited by Johnvb on 12-12-2002 at 10:47 AM

Old Post 12-12-2002 10:44 AM
Johnvb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Johnvb Click here to Send Johnvb a Private Message Visit Johnvb's homepage! Find more posts by Johnvb Add Johnvb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
<\?KULA/>

Location: its a bit further than the second lift in the Whitehouse

humans need the addresses and the level of tech to operate the gate. The chances of a race being still alive and undiscovered from the Goa'uld is nearly a million to one. Thats why there is only one fully operational facility like earths.

Old Post 12-19-2002 10:52 PM
<\?KULA/> is offline Click Here to See the Profile for <\?KULA/> Click here to Send <\?KULA/> a Private Message Find more posts by <\?KULA/> Add <\?KULA/> to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mad

Not if that said world kept a low profile like RH theorized. Earth is only a threat because of all the System Lords it kills off. But another world could safely explore and search for better tech to fight the Go'uld inconspicuiosly(sp?).

Old Post 12-20-2002 11:01 AM
Mad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mad Click here to Send Mad a Private Message Find more posts by Mad Add Mad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr.taz
Apple Sauce Bitch!

Why not? earth did it.

Old Post 12-20-2002 09:04 PM
dr.taz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dr.taz Click here to Send dr.taz a Private Message Visit dr.taz's homepage! Find more posts by dr.taz Add dr.taz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote