Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Fan Fiction > A/A Fic: Vinum Sororum Nostrum
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Skip
VAE VICTIS

Daniel could hear the gasps of someone in great distress as he tried to focus on the face floating before him. It wavered dizzyingly, and flip-flopped several times before it snapped into crystal clear resolution along with the understanding he was responsible for the frantic inhalation. Selene leered at him as he slowly returning to his senses.

?You see how easy it would be to break your neck, Slavedaniel? I know you don?t want to die, and the only thing preventing it is your willingness to kill Samantha Carter.?

He sat up slowly, rubbing his forehead. Why did this woman keep insisting he kill Sam? Well, he knew why, but why couldn?t she see he wouldn?t do it? Daniel understood his refusal would lead to more torture or death, and he weighed his options.

Time to put on his best scared puppy face and pretend to play along.

?O-of c-course.? He faltered, ?Whatever you want! Just don?t hurt me anymore!?

Selene laughed, completely buying into the act. She stroked his face gently, tracing his bruises over and over again.

?You men are so predictable. A little pain and you turn into snivelling babies. It disgusts me at times that we must debase ourselves with you at all. Thank goodness I am not to participate in the ceremonies this year.?

Daniel couldn?t school his face quickly enough to remove the curiosity from it.

Selene noticed and clarified, ?Well, we couldn?t have the entire population pregnant at the same time, could we??

Daniel shrugged and tried to look disinterested. It would do him no good if Selene discovered that every piece of information she let slip was being stored away in case it could come in handy later.

?All Amazons of child-bearing age participate in the mating festival, but not all at once,? she needlessly explained.

?We do not want to waste these years, and not every pairing will result in a child, or even a female child for that matter, so the years are alternated. Those not actively participating have the pleasure of watching the proceedings. This can be equally satisfying for some.?

Daniel gathered she actually preferred the watching as her eyebrows waggled suggestively. Her hand stopped stroking his cheek and her face became thoughtful. He shivered for effect and looked away from her stare meekly.

?Although?there are exceptions to every rule. You appeal to me Sl?Daniel. Perhaps, once you have completed your task, I will partake in the pleasures you have to offer. Yes.? She leaned closer to him, her face inches from his own.

Daniel shivered, this time in earnest, as he helplessly watched Selene?s lips descend onto his. He held his breath as she kissed him, hoping frantically she?d allow him to see Jack before he was scheduled to execute Sam. A groan escaped his lips as he realised he didn?t even know what condition Jack was in.

Selene misinterpreted the reaction as acquiescence and her kiss became more enthusiastic. Daniel moved to grab her arms and push her away from him.

She reared back at the motion and slapped him hard across the face, snarling. ?How dare you! I did not give you permission to touch me!?

She rose and backed away from him, eyes blazing wildly. Daniel gulped, realising at last and with certainty how much trouble he was in.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 10-25-2001 07:24 PM
Skip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skip Click here to Send Skip a Private Message Visit Skip's homepage! Find more posts by Skip Add Skip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

i havent read this bit yet cos im a bit tired and i proberly wont read it proberly.... but you were joking about the whole dont take it kindly werent you???

Old Post 10-25-2001 07:29 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skip
VAE VICTIS

that's ok puudy i can wait thats a bit you will like.
no, i wasn't. i really hate being told what to write, even in jest, i'm afraid. and it is done. so i won't change any anyway i'm afraid

Old Post 10-25-2001 07:39 PM
Skip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skip Click here to Send Skip a Private Message Visit Skip's homepage! Find more posts by Skip Add Skip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

i wasnt tellin you what to write....seriosly!!
i was just.... y'now, like when your playing bingo and you've got one number left.... and your saying out loud ......"c'mon number 6...c'mon 6" i mean y'now it aint gonna help at all but you still hope so you can get the cute teddy bear!

Old Post 10-25-2001 08:31 PM
puddykat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddykat Click here to Send puddykat a Private Message Find more posts by puddykat Add puddykat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skip
VAE VICTIS

AKA Jack O'Neill..... it's OK just don't get miffed, me and Carrie are not shippers per se, nor are we just whumpers

Old Post 10-25-2001 08:33 PM
puddykat
Apophis's Queen

i swear i will read you whole fic through tomorrow and tell you what i think so far!!!
have you got anymore funny ones?

Old Post 10-25-2001 08:40 PM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

thats ok we've still loads left to post. and post it i will. and then my other ones, my silly one is up for today
and ill put more chicken up too

Old Post 10-25-2001 08:43 PM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

Shippy part.....

Jack slept fitfully and was roused by rustling noises just outside the door, accompanied by voices. He fidgeted uncomfortably and turned to greet his visitors. Sam entered the hut, medical supplies in one hand and a jug of water and a bundle in the other. Jack sighed inwardly as relief washed over him. At last, something was going right. He had his second in command back.

Jack sat up, glad to see his friend again and eager to do something... he caught himself short, though as his waking brain screamed incoherently. Just what was Sam doing here, anyway? Was she back to normal?

?Hey, sir. I?ve brought medical supplies and food. I?m trying to gain their confidence, it seems to be working.?

?Oh really?? Jack nearly said it, but flinched with the memory of their last conversation... ?Right, fine, but can ya see to Teal?c? He took quite a beating,? Jack couldn?t take all of his irritation out of his voice.

?Hmm? Oh, right,? Sam looked momentarily distracted. She knelt down and began her ministrations unemotionally.

?Where?s Daniel?? Jack asked, trying to keep the suspicion out of his tone. Carter was showing no sympathy toward Teal?c?s condition. This was so not right.

?He?s fine.? She finished cleaning Teal?c?s wounds and sat back.

Teal?c barely stirred throughout the exchange. Jack was glad he was getting some rest.

?Listen, Jack-?

The airman?s head snapped round painfully at the use of his first name. Carter was kneeling on the floor in front of him, leaning towards him. Her head tilted up to look at him and Jack noticed maniacally that her pupils were dilated and her breath had a certain twang again...

?Carter, I don?t think...?

?That?s right, don?t think. I?ve found a way you can get home.?

She rocked forward on her haunches and reached her fingers out to brush the split lip, ?I?m sorry I had to do that,? she crooned, ?but I had to keep up appearances.?

Jack?s breath came ragged, Sam was getting far too close for comfort and obviously she still wasn?t herself. Ah, this was very uncomfortable? he uncharacteristically shrank back slightly, hugging the wall.

?All you have to do is one little, tiny thing for me. You can do that, can?t you?? she took his chin and nodded his head. ?You see, we all need to make sacrifices,? she sighed softly. ?It seems our precious Daniel has been conspiring against all of us. The entire time you and Teal?c have been in here starving and bleeding, he?s been living it up with Selene. She?s fed him, given him fresh clothes, and even a nice soft bed. He?s got it so good, he?ll do anything to keep it that way. Selene is so threatened by me, she?s even convinced my dear friend to kill me!?

Jack gaped at her numbly, shocked by her words and her hand on his thigh. Daniel would never sell them out. He knew that, and her actions merely confirmed it. No Major in the US Air Force would ever come on to another officer, especially her commanding officer!

Sam forced his mouth shut before he could speak, keeping her hand under his chin. ?I won?t let that happen. No, actually, YOU won?t let that happen.?

Jack didn?t know if she was ordering him to kill Selene or Daniel at this point. His head was spinning at how out of control Sam was. He decided to play dumb, ?What do you want me to do about it??

Her lips twisted into a snarl, mutating her perfect white teeth into a predatory grin. ?Jack, Jack, Jack. Of course you will eliminate Daniel. We all know how dangerous he is with a weapon. Really, it would be to your benefit, as well as Teal?c?s, if you neutralised him. He?s a menace.?

He opened his mouth to speak again.

?Ah!? Sam halted him with a finger in the air. ?I don?t think you heard me.? She moved to kneel by Teal?c?s prone form and traced a pattern across the unconscious man?s chest. ?Daniel is going to kill me, Jack. If he succeeds, both you and the Jaffa will die, have no doubt about that. But if you kill him, I can protect you. One life or three, Jack??

Jack?s head swam in pain, his leg seemed to be on fire, but he needed to concentrate. His voice came in a thin rasp, ?Why? Why are you doing this, Sam?? he used her first name, trying to snap her back to her senses.

She winced at his informality, ?How dare you use my name! You have no right!?

The colonel was desperately aware that he needed to push while she was here, before she had a chance to re-group, to be brainwashed again. A direct physical assault wouldn?t work and he was not in good enough shape to deal with an enraged and well-trained Sam. Maybe he could find his Major in there somewhere... ?Sam, you don?t want to do this, you don?t want to hurt Teal?c. Think, damnit, think! How could you possibly want to kill Daniel? After all he?s done? After all this time, does it mean nothing to you??

Sam?s eyes teared at his words and she pulled back slightly. Hysterical, she jumped up screaming, ?What is it with you? Why are you always trying to suppress me? Why are you always crushing me??

Jack dragged himself up, inch by painful inch until he stood over her, ?What are you talking about??

Sam couldn?t, or wouldn?t hear him. She was shouting again and Jack realised that the comments weren?t all aimed directly at him. There were some that were probably directed at that creep Jonas, or other men. He heard things that could only be meant for Jacob, her father. Sam?s mother had died when she was still young and obviously, it had stung more than she was prepared to say. He knew that sting, and he knew what it could do to a person.

He stepped forward to pin her wheeling arms, fearing damage to himself and to her. She snapped out of her trance at his touch and shrugged back, ?Get off me! GET OFF ME!!!?

Recovering slightly, she shivered and shouted, ?You WILL kill Daniel, or you will ALL die painfully and I?ll make sure you are the last to die so you can watch what we do to your friends!? She turned with force and slammed the door again behind her.

Sometime, Jack figured, the door was going to bounce off its primitive hinges. He?d almost got there, almost gotten her to see sense... Poor Carter. Somebody had screwed with her head real good. That was one of the few things Jack really hated. If they ever got out of this... Correction, when they got out of this, his Major was going to be hurting even more, damnit.

Themina toyed with her headdress. The last official meeting before the start of the three-day festival had just ended and she was itching to get back into her fighting gear. She was unusual in being both good in the halls and in the fields, unlike her predecessor who had been purely a war leader. Themina could play hardball with the likes of Selene...

Selene finally plucked up the courage to make a direct strike against her, probably because of the appearance of Samantha and her three... troublemakers. Themina had seen a valuable source of exchange and leverage in Sam... as well as her hair. Selene?s... peculiarities had stopped her from holding Themina?s vaunted position, though it didn?t stop her trying. For Themina to have Sam, another red-head under her control would speak volumes about her strength to Leyda and may tip the balance more equally as there was one other red-head of the right age at the moment, an undistinguished leader...

Selene had to be stopped, but not eliminated. Better to humiliate her and keep her in check via blackmail than lose her, she was useful when ?negotiation? was required.

Themina admired Samantha?s ingenuity. The idea to have the young slave killed had been her own idea, of course, but Samantha had decided to make it more interesting and use the elder slave. For similar reasons, Selene couldn?t kill Samantha and neither Themina nor Samantha could murder Daniel. It would send a clear signal to Selene that her deception had been discovered. Even if Selene figured out their scheme, she would be unable to actively retaliate upon Leyda?s arrival.

This was turning out perfectly. The old slave could even be made into the hunting tribute. Sure, he was injured, but he could be patched together and Samantha had said he was skilled in evading capture. If he were anything like the larger one, it would be highly entertaining indeed. And once her slaves were all gone, Samantha would have no power. She would still have to be removed, of course. Themina couldn?t have someone with such intelligence and cunning around.

Old Post 11-01-2001 08:26 PM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

?O?Neill,? the voice cracked painfully.

?Yeah?? the reply was equally weary, but the older man looked up sharply.

?Is there anything to drink? I require...? Teal?c coughed.

Shit! Goddamn idiot, only thinking of yourself.... Jack groaned at his selfishness as he crawled over to the meagre supplies afforded them. He picked up the large jug and held it to the Jaffa?s lips, reaching under the big man?s shoulders and tilting his head up. When Teal?c had drunk his fill, Jack wet some of the cleaner strips he had torn off earlier and dabbed at his forehead, cleaning the (now gladly healing) wounds.

?D?ya feel up to eating?? he asked, eyeing the hunk of stale bread that was meant to sustain them.

Teal?c simply shook his head and lay down again, exhausted. He was running a slight temperature as Junior worked overtime, so Jack promised himself he?d keep an eye on that. He?d meant to give Teal?c a drink... but had been so lost in thought that he had completely lost track of everything.

He stalked over to the narrow crack of the doorway to check the horizon. It was fast approaching nightfall and Jack aired his fears to Teal?c, ?Not long before the big party. For once, I wouldn?t mind if I wasn?t invited...?

?Indeed, it is one gathering I would like to miss also.?

Jack gave up looking for inspiration outside and turned to his friend, ?Carter came in before. She said that one of the others had forced Daniel into agreeing to assassinate her.?

Teal?c said nothing, letting the airman take his time.

A deep sigh heralded the second half of the news flash, ?She wants me to kill Daniel for her.?

?What are you planning??

?That?s just it, Teal?c,? Jack half laughed, ?If we stay here and do nothing, they will kill us. I don?t know if it will be fast or slow, but they will do it eventually. If I go along with it... maybe I could get Danny and make a break for it? I could come back and get you and Carter... if worse comes to worst, we could send a team back through.?

?This would seem to be our only option,? he agreed.

?You know what it could mean? I might not get away, hell, I?m not likely to get away. I?d have to leave you for a while and I might not get back in time...?

Teal?c knew what the colonel meant, he knew what could happen, ?I understand. I am of no use like this and I can ascertain no other course of action.?

?I?ll take that as two thumbs up, buddy.? Jack rocked on his feet, the whole kit and caboodle would be funny if it weren?t so goddamned dangerous. Honestly, with executions left, right and centre, the whole thing read like the script from some black comedy. ?Welcome to the worst day of the rest of my life.?

Daniel slid down the wall to the floor, knees drawn up to his chest. He rested his aching head upon them and rubbed his bruised throat tenderly. He didn?t think he could find a spot on his body that didn?t hurt. Selene had flown into another fit of rage and thrown him into yet another cold and damp shack. Geez, how many of these things did they have? Did the male population of this world exist only to construct their own prisons and reproduce?

Daniel chuckled at his inane thoughts. His stomach roiled as he thought about his predicament. Six of one, half dozen of the other. Damned if you do, damned if you don?t. How many other clich?s could be applied?? Jack would have a field day.

Jack. He had to somehow find Jack. Before the damn festival began and he?d have to kill Sam. Not that he would kill Sam, but right now, he couldn?t think of a way to not kill Sam. Selene made it perfectly clear that either he would kill her and become Selene?s consort, or she?d find someone else to do it and kill Daniel for his defiance. The lesser of two evils. A thief and alive or honest and dead?

Stretching his long legs in front of him, Daniel sighed with consternation. He didn?t even know for sure if Jack was alive. He scrubbed his hands through his hair, dispelled a sharp breath and forced himself to rise. He paced around the room, all concentration on finding a way out of this shack. And off this planet.

Daniel rubbed his lips absently, the action forcing the memory of Selene?s not-so-welcome advances. What was it about him that made every psychopathic woman in the universe hot for him? Okay, well Hathor was just looking for sperm donor. Kira didn?t know she was a sociopath, so she really couldn?t be blamed. Shyla had been under the influence of?

Under the influence of??

Daniel halted and his head automatically shot up, even though there was no one to run his theory across. That had to be it! When Selene kissed him, he could smell and taste alcohol. The tables had been filled with the stuff?everywhere he turned he found it. Must be some sort of special drink, perhaps for the festival? What if there was something in the drink that was altering these women?

Sam included. Her behaviour noticeably changed after spending last night with the Amazons. It made sense. Daniel had to get Sam to stop drinking that stuff. He?d have a difficult time finding Jack, but Sam should be much easier to see. Surely she?d want to know how one of her slaves was doing?

?Um, hello?? Daniel called tentatively. ?Could someone come in here please??

The only hitch in this idea was if?Selene walked through the door.

Oh, of course she did.

Sam fled from the building as though it was on fire, heart pounding and confusion filling her entire body. She ignored the stares of the women as she raced into her hut. The door slammed violently, she slumped down it and wrapped her arms around her knees.

She thought Jack would succumb to her method of persuasion. Men only thought about sex ? it should have been her greatest weapon. And she knew for a fact he had feelings for her. It should have worked.

But it didn?t work and she panicked. His arms grasping her shoulders and his soft, condescending words pushed her over the edge. How dare he think he could manipulate her? How dare he question her order?

The jug of mead on her bedside table drew her attention. She needed to calm down, that?s all. Not bothering to pour herself a cup, Sam lifted the mead to her lips and took several long swallows. Almost instantaneously, she began to feel better. Thoughts and words previously a jumbled haze came into focus.

She had gone about it all wrong. Colonel Jack O?Neill should not be underestimated. She knew that. The situation was salvageable, though. The look on his face when she threatened Teal?c was priceless. That?s what she needed to exert her energy on.

Yes, she had been foolish. The way to Jack was always through his friends. What happened to him was of little consequence as long as they remained safe. Hmm, the more she thought about it, the more satisfied she became that her minor breakdown actually aided her plans.

Jack would pity her. He?d be concerned for her. Afraid that if he upset her, she?d go nuts. As disgusting as his pity was, Sam had to grin at her good fortune.

She lifted the jug to her lips again and let the smooth alcohol slide down her throat.

Daniel would pay for his betrayal. Oh, yes, would. And she would have the satisfaction of putting Jack O?Neill in his proper place.

Old Post 11-01-2001 08:36 PM
The Ash Man

Is that then end?

I was really getting into the story as well... when's the next part gonna be posted?

ash

Old Post 11-07-2001 05:39 PM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skip
VAE VICTIS

Aw heck no Ash! I just wasn't going to spam if no one was reading is allAWWW just for you I'll get the next bit up, cheers buddy *hugs*

Teal?c brought himself out of Kel no?reem and glanced at his sleeping companion. His wounds had healed considerably and he felt he could make his first attempt to rise since being contained in this building. Slowly, he brought himself to a sitting position and the room swayed only a small amount.

He stood and tested his injured leg, putting his full weight upon it. The pain was intense, but the limb did not buckle. Teal?c allowed himself a quick and subtle smile. He was no longer completely useless to his friends. His abilities were severely limited, it was true, but he was mobile once again.

?Hey, Teal?c! You can stand!? Jack?s tired, but jovial voice sang out.

?Indeed.?

?Way to go, Junior!?

Teal?c?s smile broadened. The nickname still amused him.

?I am yet unable to be of much assistance, O?Neill, but there is not time for additional Kel no?reem.?

?Yeah, well. I won?t worry about it if you won?t. Have I been out long? Did I miss anything? Any sign of Carter? What about Daniel??

O?Neill?s questions bombarded him, and Teal?c took it as a good sign that his commander and friend was showing signs of hope. He regretted not having any further information on the remaining members of his team.

?I have just come to awareness myself. I do not know if we have had visitors, although I believe it to be unlikely.?

?God, I hate this. Seems like all we?ve been doing is wait. In between beatings, of course.?

?Of course. I believe the hour of the festival has arrived, and yet Major Carter has not come to reveal more of her intention to kill Daniel Jackson.? Teal?c?s voice betrayed none of the fear he felt creeping into his senses.

?That?s okay. I wasn?t really looking forward to that, anyway!? Jack joked weakly.

?O?Neill, do you??

Before he could finish, the door flew open and a body was deposited into the cramped quarters. It lay face down, unmoving, but Teal?c knew immediately who it was.

?Damnit. Daniel.? Jack breathed.

Selene glided into the small enclosure, gently closing the door behind her. Daniel could have kicked himself for his stupidity. Selene had no doubt waited outside his prison, certain her threat would be considered and decided upon. He played right into her hands. He attempted to tone his expression from shock and fear to one of complete blankness.

Hers told him he failed miserably.

?So, you have made your decision? What will it be? I think I know?? Selene whispered seductively as she encroached into his personal space. Her slender fingers splayed across his chest and she leaned in for his response.

Nausea abruptly filled him and he swallowed compulsively. Daniel once again cursed his body for betraying him. Think, he had to think. Mind racing, Daniel fought the revulsion and managed to speak with a surprisingly steady voice.

?Did I really have a choice? I?ll do it. I?ll kill Sam, but only if you promise to find a way for me to see Jack.? Daniel said, hoping fervently she would believe his lie. ?And that you allow me to see him before I kill Sam.?

Selene laughed, the obscene voice filling every corner of the room and seeming to reverberate unceasingly. She appeared wholeheartedly amused by his request, and she inexplicably drew Daniel into a warm, almost friendly embrace.

?Oh, that is too precious! A slave making an ultimatum. You will surely provide me much diversion for many years!? Selene managed to spurt between chuckles.

Daniel?s heart dropped to his feet, dismayed at his failure. Still, he had to stand his ground. He gritted his teeth and held his breath as he endured her increasingly aggressive caresses.

?I won?t if you don?t agree,? he said flatly.

At his statement, Selene?s hands stopped and she drew away from him quickly. Studying him with narrowed eyes, she struggled to understand his meaning. Comprehension opened her eyes, and her gaze became harsh.

?You would choose death?? Selene muttered angrily, ?What power does Samantha possess that would make you forfeit your life for hers??

?She is my friend. I would rather die than be responsible for her death.? Daniel stated simply.

Selene searched his eyes to seek the truth. Blue eyes, cold and hard, peered back at her unblinkingly. In them, she read determination and strength. Her anger raged at his audacity.

?Friends with a woman? Unlikely. More aptly, Samantha has catered to you and you fear any other master would not treat you so favourably. You are correct. What, then, shall become of your companions??

Daniel?s eyes flashed unconsciously. Companions? Then Teal?c?

?Yes, Daniel. Your Jaffa friend has been apprehended,? Selene snarled, ?Both he and the older slave will be active participants in this evenings festivities. Most likely, they will have the distinct displeasure of being the tribute. That is, if they live long enough. Their fate rests in your hands.?

?What difference does it make what I do?? Daniel exclaimed in frustration, ?We?re all dead anyway, isn?t that right??

?Silence! Your impertinence no longer amuses me.? Selene roared, followed shortly by a powerful punch to Daniel?s injured cheek.

Daniel plunged to the floor with a groan, head smacking the ground with a resounding thud. Brilliant red blotches exploded before his eyes and he struggled to regain focus. His hand automatically travelled to his cheek, attempting to protect it.

Selene fumed above him, resentment at their stalemate written in her every action. Daniel helplessly watched as her movement became more erratic and culminated into terrifying insanity.

?She must die. She must die. She must die.? Selene chanted. She turned to him, ?If you won?t do it, you will die!?

Selene kicked out at the hapless man sprawled before her, catching his ribs brutally. Daniel moaned as this new pain took predominance over his prior aches. Red turned to black and he felt himself passing out. Selene poised for another well placed kick, and Daniel tried to scoot away from the blow, wincing in preparation for more pain.

Selene?s foot suddenly vanished from his hazy view and Daniel wondered briefly where it went.

?Selene! Not the tribute!? Daniel heard an unidentified voice shout, and then he heard nothing.

Pounding on her door startled Sam from her slumber. She raised herself up quickly, momentarily confused about her whereabouts. Where was the rest of her team?

?Samantha! The time of the festival has arrived. Open your door!? a female voice called.

Puzzled, Sam stumbled to the door. On the other side stood a gigantic, dark woman. The woman smiled amiably at her, holding a bundle under one of her arms.

?Can I help you?? Sam queried and watched a perplexed expression take root on her visitor?s face. And the confusion as it changed to mirth.

?Oh, Samantha, you do have a strange sense of humour. Here, I brought you suitably attire for the evening?s activities.? The woman brushed by Sam into the small abode. She observed the empty jug by the bedside and her eyes glistened knowingly. ?Ah, I see what is the problem. Drinking too much of the mead in too short a time can sometimes lead to a period of memory loss. It will return soon.?

?I?m sorry. What? Who are you? Where are my friends? Are they OK?? Sam?s head throbbed, and her confusion was not dissipating.

?I am Themina. Your friends, as you call them, are also being prepared for the festival. Do not worry.? Themina appeased. ?Lydia! Lydia, please bring more mead.?

Sam looked warily around her and at the woman standing next to the bed. Everything seemed vaguely familiar, but she couldn?t place it. She jumped as another woman entered and handed her a mug of something. She hesitatingly put it to her lips and took a sip.

Warmth crept through Sam?s veins and her agitation toned down a notch. She began to remember bits and pieces of the past few days. She still couldn?t determine specifics. Somehow, she knew she should not drink any more of the mug?s contents and she set it down with a jerk.

Themina?s eyes followed her closely, and the woman began to chatter soothingly, ?We have brought you ceremonial garb. Please, try it on.?

Sam eyed the clothing suspiciously. It didn?t look like it would cover her.

?I would really rather prefer to keep my own clothes,? she said calmly, reaching a hand up to squeeze the bridge of her nose, ?Please. If you?ll just take me to see my friends, I?d appreciate it.?

?I cannot do that, Samantha. You do not remember this, but one of them intends to kill you tonight. It would be unwise of you to seek them out.?

Sam gasped at the revelation, mouth flying open in disbelief. What was this woman implying? A gentle hand guided her to the bed and she sank down on it, knees weak. The mug of mead found its way back into her hands and she unconsciously took a swallow.

Who would do that? The colonel? Sam didn?t think so. Teal?c? Never. Daniel? No, Daniel would never?

//?You will kill Samantha Carter.?//

//?Oh, is that all you want me to do??//

The memory came back vividly, the words replaying over and over hauntingly. Daniel?! Sam brought the mug to her lips and drained the mead rapidly, not noticing the mead had a strange aftertaste. Was her memory true? Was Daniel going to kill her?

Fear, anger and confusion filled Sam?s being. She couldn?t believe it, but she couldn?t deny what she heard. Her muddled mind sought clarity and she strained to recall the previous day in its entirety.

Images assailed her relentlessly as it all came rushing back to her. Conflict between irrefutable evidence of Daniel?s treachery and her own gut instinct railed at her insides. Discombobulated by dual emotions, Sam fought to stem the nausea and uncertainty.

Which was right?

Old Post 11-07-2001 05:56 PM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

Jack waited until the Amazons backed out of the shack and shut the door before he raced to his young team-mate?s side. His hand grasped a wrist, searching for and finding a pulse. Strong and steady.

He shot a relieved look to Teal?c, who relaxed visibly and made his way to Daniel?s other side. Jack scanned Daniel?s body with his hands and eyes for injuries before nodding at Teal?c to help him roll the archaeologist onto his back.

The involuntary movement caused the younger man to groan and stir. Daniel?s head moved almost imperceptibly from side to side and Jack noted his battered features. He reached out a hand to touch the swollen cheekbone, determining there was no break. At the touch, Daniel jerked awake with a startled yelp and sat up.

?No?? he uttered, eyes filled with fear. Daniel slid back on his rump to get away from the perceived threat. His face grimaced with pain from the action. He doubled over, clutching his right side in a protective curl, breathing ragged.

Jack and Teal?c reached out to the young man simultaneously, the dual grip finally bringing Daniel to his senses.

?Hey, hey, easy Daniel. It?s just us. Glad you could join the party,? Jack smiled an empty smile.

?Jack?? Daniel groaned, his eyes surveying the older man like he was an apparition. Eyes transferred to Teal?c and darkened, ?Teal?c! Are you OK? So, she wasn?t lying??

Jack watched the younger man closely, concerned by his mutterings. Had he been alone with this Selene lady the entire time? Daniel?s instant reaction to their touch worried Jack considerably, his mind flashing to Daniel?s not so stellar track record with women.

?What happened?? Jack asked gently, his face turning into a scowl as he caught the bruises on Daniel?s throat.

?Oh, you know. The usual. Crazy woman. Unrealistic demands.? Daniel muttered with a wave of his hand, clearly not ready to replay the events, his voice raspy, ?I?m fine.?

Jack eyed his young friend thoughtfully. Daniel appeared to be all right, physically. The way he was hugging his ribs revealed to Jack he had at least bruising under his shirt and he eased Daniel back to the ground.

?Yeah, right. OK, just let me check you out, huh??

Daniel sighed his acceptance. Jack cautiously lifted up his shirt and winced at the discoloration decorating the younger man?s torso. He expertly felt the ribs, thankful when they didn?t give. Daniel muffled a moan at the invasion, and arm flung across his eyes.

?Sorry, Danny,? Jack apologised, ?It looks like nothing is broken, though. Can you sit up again??

Daniel nodded and moved to do so, grateful for Jack?s assistance.

?I?m fine, Jack.? Daniel reiterated.

?So you said. Teal?c, can you manage the water??

?Of course. Daniel Jackson, it is good to see you. We were uncertain what had become of you.? Teal?c commented as he handed Daniel a mug of water. The young man gulped it greedily.

?God, I?m glad you guys are all right! She wouldn?t tell me where you were, Jack, or if you?d got away, Teal?c. She?s really lost it,? Daniel shuddered breathlessly.

?Who has lost it? Carter? We figured that out. She?s been by a couple of times?? Jack wryly stated, fingering his split lip.

?Sam! Is she OK? We?ve got to get her out of here, Jack. Selene??

?Yeah, Selene wants her dead, right? We?ve heard a bit about that.? Jack interrupted.

?No, Jack. It?s more than that. I think I know what?s going on here. The longer Sam stays, the more danger she will be in!? Daniel cried, panic seeping into his words.

Jack rubbed Daniel?s shoulder to calm him. ?Easy, Daniel. Why don?t you fill us in on what you know and we?ll do the same. We don?t have much time.?

Sam dragged a hand through her matted hair, wondering how she?d got into such a terrible state. Themina, (that was her name, right?) had left her alone to change a few minutes ago, but Sam hadn?t brought herself to put on the, the- skins, yet.

She glanced over to the crude jug and mug that... Lydia had brought. Strangely, she could remember most of yesterday, but it all seemed... distant. The memories were slightly jumbled and she could feel, well, something of the intensity of emotion, but it was... wrong, somehow. Washed out. She knew that you could remember feeling emotions, and not actually feel them, but this was ridiculous. Sort of an intellectual, detached link to the past. Was that a good thing, or a bad thing?

Early morning was not the time to be thinking about things like that. Not with a head pounding and swimming like an all-night rave. Her stomach, while empty, churned. Had she eaten at all? She couldn?t recall, but she certainly didn?t feel like eating now.

Sam groaned as she realised she was just putting off the important issue here; Daniel and her team. But how did you deal with a thing like that? Just when had the USAF held a lesson entitled ?What to do when you wake up to the memory that one of your team mates is plotting to kill you.? ? Obviously, she had missed that lesson. Alongside the ones about living water and scraggy haired little tree huggers.

Should she go over and see them? Themina had said that they were all together, ready for the ?festival.? If her instinct was right and Daniel wasn?t trying to kill her he would deny it, right? Or tell her the perfectly reasonable explanation that she had quite obviously just overlooked. But if the girls were right and he was just a cowering, lying wretch, wouldn?t he do exactly the same thing?

Would it be best to go and see for herself, check if he was lying? Or would she merely be taken in like a poor, dumb sap who couldn?t think for herself?

She winced, that didn?t seem quite right. It didn?t scan. Was it that drink talking? When she?d taken a swig, it had felt so good, so... right... But the things that were good for you never felt good, did they?

She struggled to think straight; currently her mind was spiralling further and further inwards... Down into a dark, cold abyss of soul devouring nothingness. But the drink would help, wouldn?t it? Surely, if the ends were so great, the means could not matter? She was strong enough to overcome it, to use it as it intended to use her?

Sam could not resolve the conflict rushing through her head. Blood thumped viciously at her temples as she ran through the possibilities; apparent fact clashing with feeling. Hissing in pain, she resolved to play this one by ear, at least till she could figure things out. This... situation was so delicate and the one commodity she did need more than anything else was in short supply. Time was, as they say, running out.

Old Post 11-07-2001 06:00 PM
The Ash Man

This is actually the first fic i've read in full... and is good.

Hurry with the rest (before i get withdrawal symptoms )

Old Post 11-08-2001 12:34 AM
The Ash Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Ash Man Click here to Send The Ash Man a Private Message Find more posts by The Ash Man Add The Ash Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skip
VAE VICTIS

?It?s the wine! They?re all drinking it, it must be something in the wine! I...? Daniel took a deep breath.

?The wine?? Jack asked, ?It?s OK, Danny, take your time.?

Daniel breathed heavily and looked up, thankful for the pause, ?There were bottles everywhere and Selene reeked of the stuff. Do you think they put something in it that makes them... edgy?? He gestured with his free hand, the other still unconsciously guarding his ribs.

Jack snorted at the understatement, ?You might be right. I think Carter was on something. Teal?c, do you know anything about this??

?I do not know of any specific instance or tale which relates to this, but perhaps the drink is of ceremonial significance??

Daniel leaned forward again, ?Yes! That must be it! Think about it Jack, they only mate once a year and even then only half of them do! If they relied on nature, there wouldn?t be very many of the ?Baby Amazons? running around, would there??

?What? Do you mean that they?ve put stuff in the wine??

?Yes, fertility drugs! It must be! All the hormone imbalances would make anyone irritable and imagine all the other side effects Artemis might have built into them!? Daniel stopped short, wincing at sudden pain in his chest. He wilted against the wall, energy depleted.

Jack moved toward him, concerned. When Daniel stopped gasping, he put a hand out and helped him sit up again.

?Look, I?m gonna have to see to those ribs.?

Daniel nodded and pulled up his shirt again, averting his head at the disgust and anger registering on Jack?s face. He tried to focus on the far wall to distract himself from the fresh agony bursting in his chest and the suffocating pressure on his throat.

?We need to get Sam out of here!? Daniel?s eye closed. ?These women are probably used to this stuff, I mean I?m no medical doctor, but that kind of stress can?t be- ah!?

Jack tied the loose ends of the bandage up, being careful not to jar the younger man further with his cold hands. He tucked away the strands and gently pulled Daniel?s shirt back down, covering the dressing.

?Yeah, well, even if the hormones are harmless, a permanently PMSing Major Carter is anything but.? Jack?s attempted levity fell short of the mark as he lowered the linguist against the walls of the shack. ?Look, it?s been almost two days. We?re supposed to check in with Hammond at 1300 hours today. That gives us only a few hours. We definitely don?t have brawn on our side. What do you say? Should we use brains or beauty??

Daniel rolled his eyes.

?OK, then. Daniel, did you happen to notice anything else that may help us??

Daniel nodded, the brief surge of adrenaline that had powered him had failed and he sat back feeling drained. He blinked to clear his blurred vision, an unfortunate result of the combination of exhaustion and his missing glasses.

?I?m, uh, I?m not sure,? Daniel hedged.

?We must use their weaknesses against them, Daniel Jackson. Physically, we were no match before out injuries. The situation is now dire,? Teal?c prompted.

Daniel cast his weary eyes over Teal?c, seeing for the first time how badly the Jaffa must have been injured. God, what had they done to him? His face was a network of cuts, none of them serious anymore. What did cause concern was the way Teal?c was limping and holding his arm awkwardly. He was selfishly glad he hadn?t seen Teal?c earlier. Junior must have been to work, as he did not seem to be in any obvious pain.

?Well, when Selene was?talking?with me, she was so focused on the discussion, I doubt she would have noticed a marching band had one paraded by. And her emotions changed so often, I would swear she?s bipolar. If they?re all so volatile, it could be used to our advantage, couldn?t it?? Daniel theorised.

?Yeah, any we?ve had the pleasure of seeing have been highly emotional and all that alcohol must be slowing their reactions, right??

Daniel turned to the older man. Jack wasn?t 100% either. He was favouring one knee and had it strapped up. Daniel wondered where Jack had got all the bandages. It looked as though someone had just grabbed a handful of supplies and thrown them in. With his bound ribs, Jack?s knee and Teal?c?s head- they looked like a mummy army. Daniel laughed quietly. A group of mummies who moved like they were straight out of the early Dynasties were the only ones to stand up against the followers of an ancient Greek goddess? Jack for one would appreciate the cosmic irony of it.

?So we?re going to outsmart them?? Daniel asked, calming down.

Jack smiled grimly, ?Oh, you betcha. They won?t know what hit them.?

Sam dragged on a rough tunic to cover the not-so-modest ?ceremonial? garment she?d been given. She took a quick glance down at herself; the local fashion did not suit her in the least and for her money- she looked like death warmed over.

Voices echoed throughout the village. Loud, hollow, raucous voices that clamoured in her head, jostling for prominence with the rumbling in her stomach. Sam leaned against the door for a second, girding herself for the fresh onslaught of noises and smells. Taking a deep breath, she steeled herself and entered the main hall.

?Sister Samantha!? Themina?s deep voice boomed.

Selene was seated next to Themina, sulking slightly. When she saw Sam?s wince, she spoke up, ?Ah, you decided to join us at last!?

The hall was still filled with tables bowing under the weight of numerous piles of food. Sam sat on the other side of Themina, who was grinning in delight at Selene?s unbridled hatred and jealousy.

?We were waiting for you, Samantha. You seem to have taken quite a shine to Lydia?s brew...?

Laughter broke out around the table and Sam shuddered as she was slapped approvingly on the back.

Themina stood up, towering over the assembly with her impressive bulk. ?Ladies, as we are all now here, the festival can truly begin! Come, let us drive the tribute to Leyda for the honour of our tribe! Praise be to Artemis!?

?Praise be to Artemis!?

?Praise be to Artemis,? Sam mumbled. This was not going as planned.

The voices could be heard long before the footfalls stopped in front of the building. Jack groaned at their continuing run of bad luck and timing. Damnit all to hell, would they ever get a break? He glanced quickly at Teal?c and Daniel. Neither looked ready to fight their way out of this.

?Jack,? Daniel?s whisper barely reached his ears. He sounded panicked. Jack moved to the younger man.

?Calm down Daniel. It ain?t over yet,? Jack soothed.

?No, Jack. I have an idea. Selene might respond favourably if I let her think I?ve had a sudden change of heart. I can tell her Sam attacked me or something and I am now willing to kill her. That way, maybe I can get Sam away long enough for her to listen to me. We can grab our weapons and GDOs and come back for you and Teal?c,? Daniel rushed.

?Daniel, no. That?s not going to happen. I don?t think you should go offering yourself up to some lunatic woman. You know that never turns out well.? Jack vetoed the idea.

Daniel glared at him. Well, the kid could glare all he wanted. No common sense at all. This Selene lady was bad news. Her earlier ?discussion? with the archaeologist had left him jumpy, and the bruises on his throat clearly stated she had tried to strangle him. And here Daniel was, ready to jump right on back into that. Nope. Not if he had anything to say about it.

Old Post 11-08-2001 06:24 PM
Skip
VAE VICTIS

THANKS ASH! *blush*

?Selene, Samantha. I believe it would be best if you both collected our latest specimens for the tribute,? Themina deviously suggested, ?After all, Samantha, they were yours and I heard rumours that Selene has taken a fancy to one of them, though I can?t imagine why. He?s quite a runt.?

Sam?s eyes widened. What had she gotten herself into? Any doubts she had about Daniel?s intentions to kill her were banished. She had been played very well. Why hadn?t she seen it before? God, why wouldn?t her stomach just leave her alone? It threatened to turn inside out at every movement, and this latest revelation caused bile to once again come up her throat.

Appearing collected, Selene responded to Themina?s challenge, ?Very well, Themina. It is no secret that I choose my slaves to be aesthetically pleasing, unlike others who will have anything that crosses their path.?

A collective gasp sounded throughout the large hall. Sam surveyed the room. The women all looked shocked at the open ambivalence between their two leaders. Sam knew this could be very fortuitous, if she could just think of how to use it. But her head! It took all her strength not to massage her temples constantly. She couldn?t let the Amazons know she was weakened.

?Come, Samantha. Let us go. Themina, I gather you will go with the rest of the women to herd the other slaves?? Selene hissed.

?But of course. We?ll be at the temple.?

With that, Themina swept from the room, followed by half the contingent of women. The remaining half looked at Sam and Selene expectantly. Sam stood up shakily, legs threatening to give way underneath her. She could do this.

The entourage left the hall and quickly amassed on the tiny shack that apparently served as prison to her three friends. It looked big enough for one. Sam?s stomach twisted yet again, this time the cramps succeeded in making her twinge.

?What is the matter, Samantha? Not feeling well?? Selene?s saccharine-laden voice chanted.

Oh, God. Selene had already done something to her. How? When? Determined not to reveal she knew, Sam straightened.

?No, I feel fine. I think I may have gone at the punching bag a little to rigorously and pulled a muscle,? Sam lied.

?I see. You?re apparently not as strong as Themina thinks you are,? Selene said spitefully. She didn?t wait for a reply, instead moving to open the door.

Jack had to admit he was growing extremely bored with all this door watching. Speaking of.

The door opened slowly and a blonde head peered into the small space. The woman?s nose wrinkled with distaste at the smells that greeted her. Jack tried not to take it personally, and couldn?t help the nonchalant shrug that came automatically.

?So these are the highly treasured slaves. I have only had the pleasure of meeting one,? the woman murmured and made a beeline for Daniel.

Daniel instinctively pressed himself even closer against the wall and Jack?s lips formed an unhappy, tight line of anger at the reaction. This must be the infamous Selene. Quite a looker, actually. She predatorily scanned his young friend and leaned towards him, running her hand along his chest. The hand paused over the bruised ribs and rested there as she whispered something in Daniel?s ear.

Jack saw Daniel?s eyes saucer at whoever just walked through the door. Carter. She looked terrible ? whiter than a sheet, a sheen of perspiration lined her forehead and lip and she was slightly hunched over. A harsh cry from the opposite corner dragged Jack?s attention away from the major.

Damnit!

Selene?s hand was pressed brutally on Daniel?s bruised torso, and the young man looked ready to pass out.

?Hey! Get your hands off him, you bitch!? Jack shouted.

At the same moment, Teal?c took one step toward Selene. Three spears suddenly invading his personal space stopped him.

Jack wondered crazily how all these people were cramming into this dump. The ridiculous thought vanished at Selene?s next words.

?I will overlook your impudence on this occasion, only because you are needed for the tribute. But I will have you know that I will put my hands anywhere on this little one and I will do so at anytime. He has offered himself to me in exchange for a favour, and he now belongs to me,? Selene victoriously grinned.

?Daniel, no!? Sam wailed, ?You can?t! Don?t--?

Her words choked off as Sam?s eye?s rolled back and she crumpled to the floor. Jack and Teal?c ran to her side to check her out, all the while trying to keep an eye on Daniel. Sam?s heartbeat was rapid and her breathing thready.

Oh, this was so not good.

?Leave her,? Selene said callously to the three women, ?Take the old one and the Jaffa to the temple. We will join you shortly.?

Through a red haze of pain, Daniel watched as Jack and Teal?c were strong-armed away. Jack shouted insults as loudly as he could. Daniel struggled to regain his breath. It felt as though Selene was slowly squeezing it out him, but Daniel knew that wasn?t the worst she was going to do. His heart was in his throat at what he knew was coming. He hadn?t anticipated Sam passing out and having to deal with Selene.

Shaking his head as if to clear the pain, Daniel looked down at Sam?s unconscious form. She was so still it frightened him and her face was as pale as it was right after Jolinar died, her lips colourless. When she entered the hut Sam had looked at them fiercely, but Daniel thought he saw fear behind her eyes. He brushed it off, knowing she couldn?t be in control of herself. But she had sounded like the old Sam, hadn?t she? God, had he just made a huge mistake?

As if answering his silent inquiry, Selene?s attentions once again focused upon him. She ran her hand across his chest and straddled his legs, pupils so dilated the blue of her eyes was barely visible. Daniel tried not to flinch, finding instead a corner to concentrate on.

?Shall we continue where we left off, slave?? she cooed, ?I?m so glad you came to your senses. Too bad it is already too late for dear Samantha. She?s not looking so well, is she??

?What did you do to her?? Daniel asked with trepidation. Once again, he fell right into her trap. God, he was an idiot.

?I told you I?d find another way to rid the world of her presence. She?s taken quite a liking to our mead ? who would notice if there was a little something extra in it for her? As far as anyone will be able to tell, she simply had an adverse reaction to it.?

?Poison.?

?You are sharp, aren?t you? I will have to work extra hard to discipline you,? Selene threatened.

It didn?t matter what he did, Daniel knew he was in deep trouble. He?d not willingly submit to her.

Borrowing a phrase from Jack, Daniel retorted, ?Bite me.?

?It would be so much easier if you would just co-operate,? Selene signed in feigned resignation, ?but it matters little to me. I like to play rough.?

Her left hand dug into his side, the pain so intense Daniel couldn?t prevent a gasp. He barely got in a breath before her lips covered his own, smothering him. Frantic for air, he bit down hard on her invading tongue and tried to shove her away. She released him with a scream, grabbing his hair and yanking his head back. Daniel could feel something sharp pressing against his bared throat. A swallow stuck in his constricted throat.

?I warned you, little one. I was going to go easy, but I can see that will not work with you,? the furious woman scowled.

Selene followed up on the threat by knocking Daniel off the cot roughly. He landed with a grunt on his stomach, his head colliding into Sam?s still body. Thank God she was out of it. Daniel didn?t think he could take it if anyone were to witness this. What the hell was he going to do? Selene obviously had the upper hand here.

Selene flipped him over onto his back with her foot and followed up with another kick to his tender ribs. God, he didn?t think anything could hurt this much! Daniel felt the bile rise, he quickly curled to his side and promptly emptied what little was in his rebelling stomach right onto Selene?s boots.

The Amazon roared with fury, grasped Daniel by his left forearm and flung him away from her. As he landed roughly, Daniel actually found himself glad for the respite the act would allow him, no matter how slight. Selene took several long, deep breaths before advancing toward him. For the first time, Daniel feared she might actually kill him the knife in her hands in a white knuckled grip.

Daniel slid his eyes shut tightly and waited for fate to catch up with him.

Old Post 11-08-2001 06:26 PM