Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Fan Fiction > How the military treat the civilians
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

How the military treat the civilians

Where did it come from that the military guys in the SGC hate and treat like shite the civilians that work there?

In most fanfiction that has any sort of interaction between a soldier and a civilian (mainly Daniel), the solider usually berates, and in some cases, beats up the scientist/civilian. Why?

If anything, the opposite has been shown to be true on the show. The soldiers do their job, do what they are ordered to do and don't give out about the civilians. Take The First Ones for example, SG-11 did what they were ordered to do, take care of Daniel and Rothman and get pretty much do what they asked (within reason of course). Or The Other Guys were SG-1 also did what they were ordered to do, and only after the scientists, I forget their names, didn't obey orders, was he angry and annoyed at them.

So where did this fanon idea come from? And why are people still writing it into their fanfiction when it's not canon and not true (for the show)?

She hitched a ride to misery

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 11-14-2002 11:27 AM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

Good question - I'm not sure. While certainly there are a percentage of gung-ho military types who are condescending to civilians it doesn't happen in Stargate. And the vast majority of military men and women I've met are not like that to civilians, except in actual combat.

Maybe it's just a simple and easy way to set up "conflict" in a story. Most of the "mean soldier beats up on Daniel" stories never provide an adequate reason for it - just use stereotype as a kind of shorthand to set up the story. One notable exception I can think of is Kelsie's 'Retribution' series, where the 'mean soldier' had a good reason to go after Daniel.

Old Post 11-14-2002 09:24 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

Ummm...

IRL, acting in a derisive manner can be punished under the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) under several Articles, including Conduct Unbecoming and (if it's prohibited by the Commander) disobeying a direct order, etc.

Don't get me wrong, there are many military types that do look down on civilians for various reasons (some, IMHO, valid. *smirk*), but most know better (especially NCO's and Officers) than to let it show.

Most are quite professional (and married to civilians...) and treat them respectfully.

Another little "quirk" though is the difference in which military personnel look at a problem and how they react to problems and how all pleasantries are omitted when something needs to be done in a hurry...

Some civilians get upset about that sort of thing and react badly, taking it personally.

However, from my meager experiences with the Air Force, the USAF are the least likely to treat civilians badly.

(The worst are the Marines with certain Hooah Army elements not too far behind...)

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Old Post 11-15-2002 05:55 AM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shiloh
Radix lecti

quote:
Originally posted by Deathbunny
Ummm...

However, from my meager experiences with the Air Force, the USAF are the least likely to treat civilians badly.

(

On behalf of my USAF Officers father and uncle, and my ex-USAF Sgt brother, thanks! Maybe that's why most of my experience as been good.

Also the Navy tends to be very good to the civilians. I have little experience with Army (except Army Doctors, don't get me started on the sheer level of incompetance there.....), but yeah, some Marines can be a little -- uh ---- cocky and domineering.

Old Post 11-15-2002 05:34 PM
shiloh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shiloh Click here to Send shiloh a Private Message Find more posts by shiloh Add shiloh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Goa`uld
Descended God

People in the military are slaves of the Government and shouldn't even be allowed to look a proper citizen in the eye.

Old Post 11-16-2002 09:53 PM
Goa`uld is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Goa`uld Click here to Send Goa`uld a Private Message Find more posts by Goa`uld Add Goa`uld to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
president doc

Unless they are ordered to round all of us up and feed us to our masters who are employed by us.

Old Post 11-16-2002 10:50 PM
president doc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for president doc Click here to Send president doc a Private Message Visit president doc's homepage! Find more posts by president doc Add president doc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deathbunny
"Mostly Harmless."

quote:
Originally posted by Goa`uld
People in the military are slaves of the Government and shouldn't even be allowed to look a proper citizen in the eye.

Proper citizen, eh?

Maybe in Australia...

...Here, soldiers are (except for those foreigners enlisted and on visas) citizens.

They vote, they pay taxes, and except for the restrictions necessary to accomplish the mission they volunteered to assume, are exactly like everyone else...

...just a little more willing to sacrifice to help and protect other people.

Wait a sec...

Maybe this is a cultural difference.

See, here in the US, the Government is (still) ultimately responsible to the People of the US and not totally subjects of it.

(One of the reasons why hot-button issues like gun control and abortion are still issues and not solved by decree.)

Anyway, unless you're forward deployed and under fire, it's really not all that hard for a soldier who wants out to get out without much in the way of repurcussions. Totally unlike slavery.

Hell!

Soldiers even get the option to elect their own Commander-in-Chief every 4 years!

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Last edited by Deathbunny on 11-17-2002 at 07:57 PM

Old Post 11-17-2002 07:54 PM
Deathbunny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deathbunny Click here to Send Deathbunny a Private Message Visit Deathbunny's homepage! Find more posts by Deathbunny Add Deathbunny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote