Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home
Gaters.net : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.7 Gaters.net > Plots and Episodes > Interesting note about the possible new character (spoilers end of S5 and S6)
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Venus

Huh. I thought he was leaving because it had too much to do with Earth, and not enough to do with other worlds.... Although I can see how that might be another way of saying that his character is geting smaller parts, hence not so important.

Report this post to a moderator | ? + *

Old Post 12-01-2001 03:47 PM
Venus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Venus Click here to Send Venus a Private Message Find more posts by Venus Add Venus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kamakazi Casper
Baaaa. Down Sheeba.

I agree with him though, he's character wasn't going anywhere.

She hitched a ride to misery

Old Post 12-01-2001 07:20 PM
Kamakazi Casper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kamakazi Casper Click here to Send Kamakazi Casper a Private Message Find more posts by Kamakazi Casper Add Kamakazi Casper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Yea, he has been going nowhere, but I don't like him breaking up the group...Exspecially when there is only going to be a season and possible movie to go.

Old Post 12-02-2001 12:18 AM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ArcChaser
flightless water fowl

quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Yea, he has been going nowhere, but I don't like him breaking up the group...Exspecially when there is only going to be a season and possible movie to go.

I agree. If there's only one season left I guess he could have stuck it out and tried to force them into writing something decent for Daniel. On the other hand, when you feel it's time to move on from something, ya gotta do it. I'd rather see him go now than stay and be miserable and put nothing into his acting.

As for Corin Nemic replacing Michael Shanks.......
I think the last time I saw him was in Stephen King's "The Stand". Were they thinking of that geeky character when casting him? If so, they need to do some re-evaluating!

I may have to give up my Showtime subscription.....

Old Post 12-02-2001 01:13 AM
ArcChaser is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ArcChaser Click here to Send ArcChaser a Private Message Find more posts by ArcChaser Add ArcChaser to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Location: On station at a distant underground nuclear missile silo...

Truthfully, the whole story has been going nowhere. The show has been feeding us this "we've still got a lot to learn" mentality when it concerns Earth stepping out into the galaxy. But the kick is, after five years, it looks like we have learned very, very little to justify five years of operation.

Five years is a lot of time to change and expand when you have something as important as the survival of your people at stake. World War Two was fought for six years, and the world's technology at the end of that war was wholly unrecognizable from the technology being employed at the beginning of it.

The SGC has had pretty much the same amount of time, but has changed very little. Sure, they picked up some new tech toys, but the application of it is still limited to a relatively tiny number of people. That can be seen as stagnation from any viewpoint, and the source is the TV series' hesitation to advance radically ahead in story arcs and the SG-1 universe that has been built up. You try five years in a company making the same exact product for five years, and see how likely you'll stay in for year number six.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-02-2001 01:14 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

But as far as tech, we don't see it, it goes to Area 51 to be tinkered with. Also, in 5 years they have discovered hundreds of worlds, saved countless lives, and learned a lot about other cultures. I say they have come a long way. In '96 we were wondering if we were alone, now we know many species of aliens and formed alliances that protect earth as we get a good look around the galaxy. The SGC has done a lot in the past 5 years, only we don't always see the effects right away.

Old Post 12-02-2001 01:35 AM
Lee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Click here to Send Lee a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Add Lee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

quote:
I may have to give up my Showtime subscription.....

I'm unsure your talking about before or after Stargate goes to SCIFI. If it is before, atleast you will only miss half a season. If after, don't worry about it, they show very few good movies anyway in my opinion.

But if you sad about it anyway, sorry.

Old Post 12-02-2001 01:55 AM
Mor

Well....I read the MS interview and was disappointed...

Lee: you were right it sounds like MS is whinning about not having a big enough part in the show....but you'd think he'd push for more for himself instead of bitching about it and just leaving.....
I mean he even directed an episode!

I'm a big DJ fan....but that's the character...not the actor.....and it's a little sad that he should feel that he needs to pull out because he's in a sulk about his role being less than the 'buddy' team he was expecting with the O'Neill character....
"Fer crying out loud Michael...GROW UP!"

Let's face it folks....5 years of sustained excitement is pretty hard to maintain...and don't get me wrong...I've enjoyed every minute of it and will watch it over and over ad nauseum.....but I think the staleness it experiences every now and again is writer realated...perhaps they need to bring in some fresh minds?

Don't know about you guys but I prefer the off-world eppy's....we really don't see enough of true alien races....most of the good ep's involve non-humans...more excitement.

Old Post 12-02-2001 02:13 AM
Mor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mor Click here to Send Mor a Private Message Find more posts by Mor Add Mor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Yea, I like the offworld episodes as well. They seem to be more interesting at times. But the earth based episodes have their moments as well.

Old Post 12-02-2001 02:32 AM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

quote:
Originally posted by Lee
But as far as tech, we don't see it, it goes to Area 51 to be tinkered with. Also, in 5 years they have discovered hundreds of worlds, saved countless lives, and learned a lot about other cultures. I say they have come a long way. In '96 we were wondering if we were alone, now we know many species of aliens and formed alliances that protect earth as we get a good look around the galaxy. The SGC has done a lot in the past 5 years, only we don't always see the effects right away.

Here's a question that was asked in the Season 1 episode, The Nox: "If the Goa'ulds attacked Earth today, have you brought anything back with you that would give us a chance to stop them?"

Earth is not ready. It hasn't been gettin' ready for five years. Most of the population and nations of Earth have no idea and would be wholly unprepared to face the day when the sky fell in. And the SGC wouldn't be too far ahead of the rest of Earth, either. If a big honking spaceship came down on top of Cheyenne Mountain, what would Jack and the gang be able to do about it?

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-02-2001 02:46 AM
Rhydderch Hael is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rhydderch Hael Click here to Send Rhydderch Hael a Private Message Find more posts by Rhydderch Hael Add Rhydderch Hael to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

I see your point but look at it like this, we have hundreds of years to make up in technological evolution. We learned a valuable lesson about calling someone elses tech our own in "Tangent". Sure five years is a lot of time but look at all we have to do and the people we have to work with, i.e. the tollan, nox, asgard, goa'uld, and practly every culture we met out there.

Old Post 12-02-2001 03:26 AM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Hundreds of years!?

In my most conservative estimates, technological revolution can be tracked in 30-year increments. Once the Industrial Age was upon us, the advancements have been swift.

Take aircraft, for instance. In 1903, the first successful heavier-than-air machine took to the skies, the Wright Flyer I. It was powered by a small gasoline engine driving two propellers by bicycle chains. The thing never got higher than 100 feet, and didn't go very far or very fast.

Now, we skip 30 years and end up in 1933. Now, airplanes have one wing instead of two, are made of metal, and can fly at 200+ miles per hour. They have sealed cabins, and a few even have radios to communicate with the ground.

Jump another 30 years to 1963. This is still well within the lifetime of a person born on the day the Wright brothers first flew, and a now airplanes are powered by jet turbines and the fastest ones can move at twice the speed of sound. They posses complex electronics, radar, and can fly through winds and rain that would have torn the Wright brother's plane into pieces.

Another 30 years go by, to the year of 1993. Supersonic transports. Jumbo jets carrying hundreds of passengers at a time across oceans. Radar guided missiles. Stealth technology to evade those missiles. The ability to refuel in the air. And 7 years earlier, an airplane flew around the world on a single load of fuel.

With that trend, what is going to be around in another 30 years? In 2023? (And again, this is my conservative estimate. Want me to track progress in 10-year increments?)

Old Post 12-02-2001 03:40 AM
Lee
The Origional Lee Avatar

Wow, you typed all that and it still doesn't contridict my post. So with what your saying is, we should have been able to jump hundreds of years into the future as far as technology is conserned in just 5. We may have some tech brought from other worlds to aid us but that would still not aid us in breaking them down, getting them to work, understanding it all, and do something noticeable in only 5 years, while still trying to cover up where all this information and new thinking came from. Which brings up another point.

A political point that is. If we discovered how to set up laser type cannons or have objects orbiting the planet that can fire upon a ship coming toward earth, that would bring some notice upon the US government. How do you keep that quiet or tell how technology so advanced we don't even have the resourses to base a theory of it on yet is being thought up. You might end up having to tell about the stargate itself, maybe.

Old Post 12-02-2001 03:56 AM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

Once industry came into play and the pressures of war (we are warring with the Goa'uld, right?) are upon us, technical advancement is the key to the game, or we die. That's realism of a sci-fi series built around the conflict from a technologically superior enemy.

The Lockheed reconaissance aircraft drafted under the CIA project Arch-Angel was physically completed in 22 months. This aircraft could cruise in afterburner and sustain Mach 3 flight without suffering structural or engine failure prior to exhausting it's mission fuel load. The machine is still marveled today as a product in aeronautical innovation, even more so in that it was drawn up with a slide rule and a drawing board?without the aid of computers. Humanity has done some nifty things, and the leaps and bounds that were made in the last century will pale to what gets thought up in this one. How assured are you that the technology you describe as "centuries ahead" is really meant to be invented several hundred years from now? The Wright brothers made their mark with a plane made of stretched canvas and wood, but could they see their creation and envision that thirty years later, these things would be crafted completely out of metal? You trust in humanity's inability to decipher the technology that is dropped upon their lap. I trust in humanity's ability to discover, change, and maybe even grow.

SPOILER WARNING FOR SEASON 5
The following is about the episode "Between Two Fires". If ya' don't want to know about it, shove off now.

I am especially peeved at what Samantha Carter said about the Tollan ion cannons when they were offered to Earth. The writers, undoubtedly unwilling to really change the balance of danger presented to Earth, makes Carter assuredly say that Earth would not be able to reverse engineer one of the ion cannons and construct one of our own. You have to presume that she had access to and studied thoroughly the ion cannon technology in order to make that assertion that it was too high-tech to understand. This closes down the possibility that the SGC would be able to give Earth an oppurtunity to advance any sort of energy or weapon technology despite her full and complete access to blueprints and designs! It ignores the fact that the ion cannons were concieved and constructed by human beings, it ignores the adage that "what one can build, another can learn from and copy." These things were thought up once. They can be thought up again. It should be a lot easier, in fact, because the information was given to them!

Any and all attempts to keep Earth as primitive and incapable of techhing up to face the threat arrayed against them is unrealistic in the face of true human ingenuity and defiance.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Old Post 12-02-2001 04:30 AM
Rhydderch Hael
The Radiation King

And don't get me started on the political ramifications. All secrecy and classification of the Stargate project means absolutely nothing of strategic value when and if the Goa'uld press an attack on Earth, an Earth that is completely surprised by a "previously unknown" alien force bent on enslaving them. If you think you can get the world prepared to withstand alien invasion by deliberately keeping the world unaware of the impending invasion, you are seriously deluded. And so is the show. All the secrecy is crap if it keeps the full developmental power of Earth (logically, the homeworld of a species would have the largest population. Earth is the most populous human planet in the entire friggin' galaxy!) out of the project.

In the SG-1 universe, the Goa'uld are not an imagined enemy. They are real, and they are out there. No amount of secrecy that the SGC enshrouds itself with will change that fact. And the sooner that the rest of the world gets will the ballgame, the better off Earth is going to be when that fateful and inevitable day comes when Earth steps out onto the galactic stage.

Imagine that Earth is a fortress, and the Goa'uld are an army that is going to attack its walls. The defenders within the fort are numerous and have the full infrastructure needed to sustain a seige: blacksmiths, doctors, workers and soldiers. All ready and capable of trying to defend the fort in their own special way. But most of the defenders inside the fort have no idea that the enemy is outside the walls. They don't even know that there is an army out there ready to attack! Only a small detachment of soldiers within the fort know this. They have fought this army before, know what they are like, and they can see that army right over the hill and on their way.

What does this small percentage of castle defenders do to help? Do they tell the rest of the fort that they are about to be attacked? No! They keep quiet and let all the rest of the workers toil away in peace. The small group tells themselves that they alone are all that's needed to keep the army at bay, though this small group is outnumbered 10 to 1.

This small group keeps the knowledge a secret because they think the news will upset the rest of the people. Of course, when this army finally arrives and lays siege, the majority of the fortress inhabitants are not only upset?they are about to die! Just how angry are those people going to feel when they inevitably learn that a small, arrogant cadre of soldiers knew well in advance that the enemy was coming, but kept the whole thing a secret?

Then again, revelation would be an advancement of the storyline for the series, and apparently no one wants that...No wonder MS wants out. It feels like the same storyline is played out every new season.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Last edited by Rhydderch Hael on 12-02-2001 at 06:25 AM

Old Post 12-02-2001 04:47 AM