Gaters.net
Show all 7 posts from this thread on one page

Gaters.net (http://www.gaters.net/index.php)
- Off Topic (http://www.gaters.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=8)
-- New Poll (http://www.gaters.net/showthread.php?threadid=424)

Posted by RogueSG1 on 01-03-2002 11:26 PM:

Question Would this make a good gaming machine?

Seems like a really good deal. I am looking for a gaming machine. Is the Compaq SP750 setup faster than a computer with a single AMD XP 1800+?

Specs etc

Let me know if it is a good deal

I just dont know much about dual processors compared to single in gaming...

Posted by Lee on 01-04-2002 12:15 AM:

This sounds like a very good deal. I would consider it if I was in the line for a new machine. It only has 933mhz but really you don't need much more. They try to push 1+gig machines but really, beyond bragging rights, you don't need it yet. 933 is good for anyone. It will be a while before that would become old school I think.

512 ram, sounds good too. Beyond that, you really don't notice a difference. The more the better but that is extreamly good.

GeForce 2 is good. They have the GeForce 3's now, you could want to look into that, but for a gaming machine I think, from what I've seen lately, 32mb card is good as well.

Hard drive sounds small though. Of coarse It depends on how much you'll put on it. I haven't got above 8gigs myself but if you plan on downloading a lot of sg-1 episodes you may want to go for a larger one, or buy another one to make as a slave. If you get a large hard drive, it may not be a bad idea to partician that sucker just to make it more reliable. 18g is good but as large as they are now, you may want to get a larger one. Just depends on you and how much you'll have on it at one time.

CD/DVD sounds really great. With that you can watch any sg-1 episodes on dvd if you want. Looks pretty good as far as they go.

I'm not up on audio cards, so maybe someone will know here though.

2000 is great, wait untill XP has the problems worked out to use it. 2000 is fine, I think.

Sounds like an over all good machine. The price does seem a little high though. I didn't see anything that would blow it up that high, I didn't think. If you've looked around and this is something that your really interested in getting, I think thats a good buy. Well, it's better than mine atleast...

Posted by Lee on 01-04-2002 12:18 AM:

Oh, and if your wanting to look at gaming machines that is probibly way out of your price range, of coarse that is unless you have a rich uncle, take a look at machines made by Falcon Northwest. I think thats the right name, but before you look at them, get your kleenex or something to wipe the drool you'll have all over you when you get done looking.

Their really high priced, but if you want to see something that's top of the line, that's a good place to look if you ask me.

Posted by DEATH on 01-04-2002 12:45 AM:

i would try a white box brand because ten you can get exactly what you want but you arnt paying for a sticker on the box

Posted by MacGyver on 01-04-2002 04:22 AM:

Don't get a Compaq!!!! They're peaces of shit! Get a costume built one! I should know because I'm a tech!
There's allot of new games coming out that will run choppy on the compact like Doom 3, Unreal 2, and many more.
if you want to have a fun time playing your games get something like this.

CPU - AMD Athlon XP 1800+ if it's to much money get the AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Motherboard - ASUS A7V266
Video card - GeForce3 Ti 500 or GeForce3 Ti200 (GeForce 4 comes out in Feb or March)
Sounds card - Sound Blaster Live 5.1 or Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer PCI
OS - Windows 2000 Pro, I know allot of people that Like WinXP for gamming as well.

I'm having trouble playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein online with 30 people my FPS is at 20 - 50 and sometime 16

My System Specs are

Intel Pentium 3 733Mhz
Asus CUV4X
Windows 2000 Professional SP 2
512mb ram
NVidia GeForce 2 GTS 64Mb, Detonator 4 21.83
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value
30gb HDD
SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX)

I will be upgrading to AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and ASUS A7V266 (I have WinXP Pro, but I'm not going to install it until I have to format. I'm very happy with Win2k right now)

Posted by Goa`uld on 01-04-2002 04:50 AM:

I get poor video performance in RTCW too, compared to other q3 engine games.

Posted by RogueSG1 on 01-04-2002 05:26 AM:

Smile reason for upgrade

Thanks again for all the feed back.

I forgot to mention why I am upgrading. --For xmas my parents bought me a elsa gladiac 920, awesome card, but my current computer doesnt really have the power to see much difference (fps wise). Currently I have an IBM athlon 600 specs I bought new about 2.5 yrs ago. It seemed the new games were grinding to a halt lately. The new graphics card helps a lot, but a new mobo and processor--or new computer all together I think is in order.

Question: Regarding white box bands: Are they safe to purchase? I checked out pricewatch and there are some GREAT bargains, but is it possible to insure decent craftsmanship compared to mainstream?

If the white boxes are good as any other computers, I will probably purchase one.