Gaters.net
Show all 7 posts from this thread on one page

Gaters.net (http://www.gaters.net/index.php)
- In-Depth Discussions (http://www.gaters.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- New Poll (http://www.gaters.net/showthread.php?threadid=3382)

Posted by StuntMan_Stan on 12-19-2002 04:35 PM:

The Iris

This has probably been mentioned many times before. I had a quick glance through the past threads and I couldnt see it. So apoligies in advance for possibly bringing up an old topic

When a wormhole is engaged the event horrizon is formed. As the wormhole engages a big " swirl of energy" shoots forwards which dissintergrates all matter in its path.

How then in many episodes does Hammond order the iris closed before the wormhole engages, when the wormholes engages WHY is the iris not disintergrated by the" swirl of energy" that shoots forwards?

Any ideas would be appeciated

Posted by Venus on 12-19-2002 04:51 PM:

I think this thread explains it pretty well. I only skim read though, sorry if it totally doesn't answer your Q.

If you can't find threads by looking in the forum, the search button (top right) may prove more revealing.

Posted by Rhydderch Hael on 12-19-2002 06:40 PM:

Elfin magic. Elves made the iris, so it's indestrooctible!

Actually, the going theory is that the iris, being situated so close to the emitting fields of the Stargate, prevent that overpressure wave from forming in the first place, and it is the movement of that wave that would disintegrate matter.

Akin to the waterhead behind a dam. Given enough room to accelerate and attain momentum, the mass of water in a reservoir could easily smash the dam and everything downriver of it?but only if it is given enough room to accelerate in the first place...

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Posted by <\?KULA/> on 12-20-2002 05:00 AM:

I think its just a defect in the series. Sometimes u see that Hammond orders that the iris to be opened when they dial and sometimes he just says to dial. anyway.

Posted by alex8472 on 12-20-2002 09:59 AM:

or perhaps the iris is made of some equipment that isn't destroyed but i like the theory of it being so close

Posted by Goa`uld on 12-20-2002 11:06 AM:

<\?KULA/>, while everyone has the right to an opinion, I regret to inform you that I'd prefer not to hear yours.

The most accepted theory is what Rhyderdork Hail said. I also have another theory that the destructive power of the kawoosh is proportional to the displacement from the event horizon, which goes hand in hand with the theory about the kawoosh not forming in the first place if there is an iris.

Posted by dr.taz on 12-20-2002 08:59 PM:

Don't they only close the iris when some-one else is dialling earth Akula? The iris is usually always open and so why would hammond have it closed when he's dialling?