Gaters.net Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Show all 46 posts from this thread on one page

Gaters.net (http://www.gaters.net/index.php)
- In-Depth Discussions (http://www.gaters.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- New Poll (http://www.gaters.net/showthread.php?threadid=3246)

Posted by MPH on 12-07-2002 10:48 PM:

Why did the Ancients build the gate system?

If they where highly advanced beings that could obviously travel to other planets by ships, then why build the gate system?

Posted by HerbieZ on 12-07-2002 11:14 PM:

Im thinking what the ancients had in mind when they built these stargates was the fact that the people of the planets they put the stargates on would discover them and meet other worlds and trade knowledge and build friendships ,etc etc.

Posted by Deathbunny on 12-07-2002 11:38 PM:

Why go through the pain in the ass to get in a spaceship and go, when you can simply dial it up and walk?

"Truth requires no belief and Belief requires no truth."

"Our actions support our beliefs, but without our beliefs, we have no justification for our actions." - J. Wheeler

"Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don't seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don't belong." -From "The Tao of Pooh"

You too can be *NUKED*! Ask me How!

Posted by president doc on 12-07-2002 11:47 PM:

clearly from the last 6 years of stargate, we can see that theres adcantages to both systems.

Thats why the SGC has come out with the promethius now, and thats why they will still use the gate as the other races do.

Posted by _.:?nubis:._ on 12-08-2002 01:01 AM:

The ancients must have had a way of travelling that was really fast, otherwise they would never have been able to plop the gates on other planets, and only a handful of planets had ancient colonies, like the one with the Anubis' weapon or the one with the loop device, or the Prometheus planet, i therefore guess that the ancients built the gates for lower life forms!

Posted by president doc on 12-08-2002 09:56 AM:

No, the stargate would be faster than ship travel, which is why they would have built the system over hundreds/thousands of years.
All they would need in such a vast program both in time and scale would be a series of automated ships programmed to go to hundreds of thousands of planets each.... and drop off a gate pack when in the system which would then plant a gate on each planet... or perhaps the ship would beam a gate a long distance onto the planet.

Completely automated and with hundreds of ships and a well worked out system and route, whole galaxies could be seeded in hundreds of years... nothing in the timescale of what weve seen to be the aliens of stargate.

When the gates were made, the ancients could have been on the Asgard level of today... which seems to be the case given the scales of techbnology we see in use i.e time traps the size of planets etc.
In that case, it would take them a few hours to travel between galaxies by ship, but travel anywhere between gates would be instantaneous.

Posted by Lord ?okar on 12-08-2002 10:21 AM:

While the gates might have been faster over long distances, it would have been only marginally. The Asgard can cross the Milky Way in about the same time as a gate.

Posted by president doc on 12-08-2002 10:40 AM:

When I want to go to paris, I would prefer not to fly there by plane, Id go by train... Why drive all the way to an airport through traffic, spend an hour getting there, and hour checking in, taxying on the run way, taking off, taking a big bent route, circling to land, landing, parking, checking out, and going through traffic just to get to the centre of paris...

Alternatively I could just take the underground to waterloo, stroll onto the train, ride it through the channel tunnel into the centre of paris and walk off right where I wanted to be.....

Thats the mentality behind the gates... Besides, no matter how many ships you have, you can never hope to match the kind of travel options granted by a set of tens of millions of fixed gates per galaxy, it would open travel upto everybody! and you wouldnt have to be bound by routes or ship timetables, and huge resources of moving a ship just to go somewhere, you just dial up and go see aunty olive in the Kalium galaxy.

Also, it would take a few hours to travel between galaxies, perhaps a few minutes within galaxies, in Thors chariot, we see it takes only a short time, this would probably be as Thor was patrolling "near by"... regardless, the speeds of the Asgaard have been shown more in recent times and most recently with Thor saying it would take "many hours" with the promethius in tow... so Im guessing just a few hours without it in tow.

Posted by dr.taz on 12-08-2002 12:37 PM:

maybe their allies at the time helped with the distribution of the gates for 'the young to learn'?

Posted by president doc on 12-08-2002 03:00 PM:

Im guessing that the Ancients are far beyond the Asgaard, I mean they gate system was made millions of years ago?

Just because a loose alliance was formed between these hyper powers x-thousand years ago, doesnt mean that they all are/were equally powerful.

Look at the kind of alliances earth has formed etc.
No, Id stick with the "lets make lots of gates and have a good time righty ho!"

Posted by Jaffa on 12-08-2002 03:37 PM:

i find it more likely that the gates were for either getting to other planets to collect resources, or mabye they were just for other races, but if i had the technology to build them and put them every where, then why not?

Albert Einstein

Posted by president doc on 12-08-2002 03:42 PM:

Naa, resources schmesources, you have large ships to do all that kind of stuff...

This would be good for just travelling where you want when you want without excess waste.

I need to travel from my seat in my room in London to Lairas bedroom on p4x747 or wahtever it was... what do I do?

click click click... beamed up from my seat, my "beaming" is sent through the gate and I materialise in her bedroom et voila!

Posted by Jaffa on 12-08-2002 03:54 PM:

well that would be handy, then again mabye they were explorers, or they just wanted to go werever they wanted when ever they wanted, the Gates are useful transportation to get to a planet to take ur vacation on

Albert Einstein

Posted by Wingless Flyer on 12-08-2002 04:23 PM:

To know why would mean that we in some way understand them, which is we don't, it's thankfully one of the mysteries still left in SG.

Posted by Lnt.kaos on 12-08-2002 08:10 PM:

we don't know the was the ancients that put the gates on all the planets perhaps the gou'ald found the ancients' gate build factorys and thought that i was easer to ship slaves thought the gates than on a ship