Gaters.net
Show all 48 posts from this thread on one page

Gaters.net (http://www.gaters.net/index.php)
- Moderator Forum (http://www.gaters.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=9)
-- New Poll (http://www.gaters.net/showthread.php?threadid=2587)

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-22-2002 06:22 AM:

hackers

Thomas ward posted a pic of this forum in a public thread. Did anyone give that pic to him?
I think there might be hackers here.
Chameleon reckons she's been in contact with one gaters.net member who has successfully hacked into a moderator's account on this website.
she won't tell me who, and has said a few other things which indicate to me there is a bunch of people out there who may be trying to do something to this site.

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 09-23-2002 04:12 AM:

No, i think i was as shocked as you were to see that...
I know that people have been able to read what is being said by in this forum by us, but thats only through the search-last-post function on moderators... Its certainly not viewing the thread list.

I think Bose has something to do with it.

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-23-2002 12:20 PM:

http://www.esregnet.co.uk/woot.gif

Posted by Indiana on 09-23-2002 04:40 PM:

Why do you think Bose has anything to do with it?

That website is owned by both Thomas and Bose. Both can access the site to upload images like that. It doesnt strictly mean its his doing.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Posted by nug on 09-23-2002 10:57 PM:

*snorts with laughter*
Thomas Ward is the keeper

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 09-24-2002 02:37 AM:

If they share the website, they share the responsibility. Bose should curb Thomas if he is going to breach the rules.

I dont think this is a laughing matter, to be honest.

someone needs to explain to Thomas exactly what a hacker is. doesnt do any damage? who freaking cares! most hackers dont do a thing, other than prove they are there. Thats the whole point. It's like walking into a top secret military area, even tho you haven't done anything wrong, they still have the right to shoot you on site....

and i regret implying that Bose and Thomas were the same person. i have always known that they are not, but was trying to associate Bose with thomas in the hopes that he (bose) would tell thomas to stop being a dick. Seems it did not work...

Posted by Indiana on 09-24-2002 08:14 AM:

Bose says that Thomas is a bit of a comdeian and he likes to get a rise out of people, but he's not a Gater. He's a dick getting a rise out of peeps. Goa'uld likes to get a rise out of people too, but he's a Gater and also contributes to other stuff. TW is not and should have been banned ages ago.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Posted by The Keeper on 09-24-2002 11:06 AM:

That is quite disturbing. Should he be banned? Somehow I don't think someone who can get their way into a private forum will be swayed by a ban. Thomas Ward stated so in a post.
I've upgraded the forum to a more secure version as a precaution.

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-24-2002 12:49 PM:

omfg why is he even here!

Posted by Mac on 09-24-2002 03:44 PM:

I'm back...just got my uni account sorted, but I already knew what happened, cause martyn messaged me.

Looking at that picture...can't we work out who's account he was using to look at it by looking at which threads have been replied to, and seeing who's posts corespond to that. Then, you know, they should maybe change their password?

Posted by The Keeper on 09-24-2002 10:42 PM:

You're right Mac. Indiana, did you give this picture to Thomas Ward?

Posted by Rhydderch Hael on 09-24-2002 10:53 PM:

"Maxine Planck" has started up, stating he/she/it is Thomas Ward and that he has dozens of aliases. We're somewhat tipping his hand, forcing him to uncover more and more of his dark secrets.

As to passwords, heck, I can't even remember my own at times. Lots of folks make a password associated with their internet handle. Mine used to be "sword" on other boards a long time ago. The key is to make a pw completely whacked out from your persona, like how Garibaldi's (the tough security chief of Babylon 5) password was "peekaboo"?something he was sure no one would have guessed being his pw.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 09-24-2002 11:11 PM:

i dont think banning him would do much - as we've seen in the past, its just too simple for them to come back under other nicknames.

So he's a comedian. sure fine whatever, i sometimes find his stuff amusing, but essentially he's a troll and an annoyance, and people shouldn't encourage that.

Now, however, i'm very worried what else could happen if he got as far as using another mods account, stealing a password, or hacking, in order to gain access to this private forum. Worst of all, he's exposed a weakness, and may encourage others to try and see what's 'behind the curtain'....

Posted by Indiana on 09-25-2002 05:05 PM:

I did not give this image to Thomas. if you look you shall see the last post was made on the 20th of september, when the original image was created on the 22/09/2002. Dont know what that means though.

Posted by Rhydderch Hael on 09-25-2002 05:09 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Mac
...Looking at that picture...can't we work out who's account he was using to look at it by looking at which threads have been replied to, and seeing who's posts corespond to that. Then, you know, they should maybe change their password?

Wouldn't work. Even if he was kind enough to include the screenshot of the entire page, it would still be a picture of written text. It would be all too easy for him to go into something as simple as MS Paint, copy and paste one person's name over the line that identifies the current user.

Dogs rock. Shut up.

Posted by Indiana on 09-25-2002 09:28 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
Wouldn't work. Even if he was kind enough to include the screenshot of the entire page, it would still be a picture of written text. It would be all too easy for him to go into something as simple as MS Paint, copy and paste one person's name over the line that identifies the current user.

I dont think he would be that clever to think we would guess he was posting uner an alias.

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-25-2002 11:08 PM:

hmm if you look at the "dots" on the folders, you'll see Indiana has replied to all those threads, and the ones without dots Indiana has not replied to...
did Bose-Einstein use your computer Indiana?

Posted by nug on 09-25-2002 11:11 PM:

quote:
I dont think he would be that clever to think we would guess he was posting uner an alias

Clever enough to hack in but not clever enough to cover his tracks?

quote:
I dont think this is a laughing matter, to be honest.

For the record, I was snorting with laughter at my lack of surprise....not at the fact someone hacked in.

As for using a mod's account, wouldn't they notice. And not just that, but he doesn't appear to be doing it maliciously...otherwise why would he reveal himself. Not that it makes it ok.

Posted by The Keeper on 09-26-2002 01:18 AM:

quote:
hmm if you look at the "dots" on the folders, you'll see Indiana has replied to all those threads, and the ones without dots Indiana has not replied to...

I think that is what Mac was pointing out.

quote:
Clever enough to hack in but not clever enough to cover his tracks?

Actually his Maxine account was showing up under a similar IP as his Thomas Ward account. Unfortunatly most of the British members of this forum have showed up under a similar IP so it's impossible to tell which would be his accounts. Perhaps all UK Internet traffic is being directed through the same hosts somehow, making it also impossible to thoroughly ban Thomas without banning a dozen legitimate UK members.

Posted by Indiana on 09-26-2002 09:36 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Goa`uld
did Bose-Einstein use your computer Indiana?

Yes. When he was in my house.

Posted by Mac on 09-26-2002 09:42 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by The Keeper
I think that is what Mac was pointing out.

I'm with nug on it actually, I was laughing my head off when I heard, not because its just so funny but because it was obviously gonna happen, and then there was loads of outrage, as if people couldn't see it coming!

Posted by Indiana on 09-26-2002 09:56 AM:

I just don't see the point in doing it. Yeah man wwhen I was young and rebellious I hacked into Gaters.net. Oh yeah you da man Thomas you d f**king man!

Posted by nug on 09-26-2002 09:58 AM:

*nods* been going on for a while I reckon.
What I can't figure out is why whoever did it would expose themselves.

Posted by Indiana on 09-26-2002 10:02 AM:

I changed my password btw just incase someone had mine. But Keeper, please stop accusing me of giving images to Bose or Thomas because its beginning to annoy me now, wheras before it didn't

Posted by oFFaL on 09-26-2002 10:05 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana
Yes. When he was in my house.

Forgive me if I've missed something, but doesn't this answer the question? Bose hit Print-Screen while using your computer, slapped it into a photoshop-type program, saved it, e-mailed it to himself or ftp'd it straight to that site and hey-presto? Or were you being sarcastic in that comment that he used your computer?

Keeper, forgive me because it's been a while since I've used VBulletin but can't you track logs of private forums to see all the activity and see who has accessed it?

To be honest, I think we have to admit it was Indiana's account that was used. Not saying you're responsible, but if a normal user had access to a moderators account...Then I can see why he would do something like that.

Posted by Indiana on 09-26-2002 10:08 AM:

The screenshot was at least taken on the 20th of september. Bose was on my computer sometime back in august/early september. He didnt do it anytime lately. He was in my house on saturday, but he was just in to collect money. He wasn't alone and there was no way he could have printed screen or did anything to save it as a gif in the time he looked at my monitor, for which he only looked at a webpage not related to Stargate or Gaters in anyway.

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-26-2002 10:12 AM:

you've previously said people have come to the forum and found themselves logged in as you... perhaps that's what happened?
maybe he was logged in as you, but couldn't post?

Posted by oFFaL on 09-26-2002 10:15 AM:

He could have copied your gaters.net cookie, put it on his computer, and when you weren't on - bang - login as you, take a screenie of the moderator forum, logout...Done.

Posted by Indiana on 09-26-2002 06:37 PM:

He could have but for what reason?

I find Goa'ulds explanation more likely as I've had experience of being logged in as Kamakazi Casper on occassion. But then again just because my post was the last one does not mean he was in my account. For all we know it could have been anyones account.

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-26-2002 08:19 PM:

there is no doubt the pic is taken from your account.... unless he sat there photoshopping the icons trying to frame you

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 09-27-2002 03:35 AM:

nug - no, it wasn't a shock, but its an 'outrage' that he was so confident and cocky to expose himself like that. and to sound 'conspirital' for a moment, i think he's working with someone on the inside (though they may not know what he's doing) because recently he has hinted he knows more than he should, especially for an infrequent non-gater, and it goes beyond his friendship with Bose.

I think, if Indiana is correct and Bose could not have accessed gaters to take that screen cap (grabbing at straws, oFFaL ), we will really have to look into this further, because i find it highly unlikely that an incorrect login (ie: Indy with KC's account) would happen to Thomas with a moderator account. There's some wack probability factors in there...

I dont think it was to frame someone - it's a) too accurate and b) he gave no hint as to where he got the screencap from. He's been taunting us for a long time, he's not going to give up when this issue is so raw.

And as much as i like the guy, i cant shakle the feeling that Bose has something to do with this, however inadvertantly. He's friends with Thomas Ward, they share webspace, they are likely to share or use each others computers, and i think we should question him - not to indicate that he has done anything, but to see if he knows anything - has Thomas bragged to him about this stunt? could he check the logs of the webpage? of the image created on Thomas's computer? something.....???

His last post was 4 days ago.. (ironically, in the Keeper-poll thread) - anyone caught him online since then?

Posted by Indiana on 09-27-2002 10:28 AM:

quote:
Originally posted by Goa`uld
there is no doubt the pic is taken from your account.... unless he sat there photoshopping the icons trying to frame you

Hmmm...not really. Lets say your Thomas Ward. You turn up to gaters and you find yourself logged into say Goa'ulds account by accident. You see a link to the Moderator Forum. And you try your luck to click on it. hey presto you're in the moderator forum. Quick grab a screen cap incase it doesnt last. You try to click on a topic and you are denied. Oh well at least I have the screen grab of the mods forum. Lets post it on Gaters and cause some trouble. Simple explanation it is. Just because I was the last person to post doesnt mean it was my account. It could have been oFFal, Skip, Goaulds or JKs account. I'll tell you I've arried on gaters before and turned up in Kamakazi Caspers account. I got as far as her PM box, but when I clicked on a message to view i couldn't see it. Please remember as well you idiots who are pointing the finger at me with just crap evidence that the image was created on the 22nd of september. Two days after that post I made.

Posted by Mac on 09-27-2002 10:55 AM:

You're really misunderstanding.

The reason that it looks like it came from your account is NOT because you made the last post, because that makes absolutely no logical sense.
It is because you can see what threads the person has replied to (and not replied to) by looking at the little dots on the icons on the LEFT. I assume the Keeper has compared these dots and who has replied to those threads but not the other threads, and found that you are the person that matches that.

It has nothing to do with who posted last. Look at the dots. Nobodys acusing you, but it can't have come from anyone else's account, cause they haven't replied to the same threads.

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-27-2002 10:59 AM:

I would rather hear that indiana took the pic, than to believe our accounts are somehow compromised. i'm sure no one will be mad.

Posted by oFFaL on 09-27-2002 01:06 PM:

Hmmm... Indiana you seem to be getting awfully defensive on this subject? Why do I feel that you know a lot more than you are leading on?

The evidence is conclusive that it has been taken from your account since the dots match no other moderator.

Regarding your question about "yes he could of but why"...Well...What the hell is the point of doing this whole thing in the first place? You totally missed the point...He would of done it to TAKE THE SCREENSHOT! Jesus, wakeup jeff. That's the whole damn subject, he would of taken it so that he could make the screenshot.

I'm not saying that's WHAT happened, I'm just saying it's another possibility.

Posted by Indiana on 09-27-2002 07:11 PM:

Dots? What Dots? Someone explain the dots to me. I've never heard of dots before.

Ok, I think what you mean by Dots is that on the left hand side of posts there is this thing on the envelope in which there is a hole. That means that I have posted in that thread? I guess that it is because I remember posting in those threads.

Posted by nug on 09-27-2002 11:45 PM:

Yup. What they're saying is that these icons and indicate you have posted in the thread.

quote:
I would rather hear that indiana took the pic, than to believe our accounts are somehow compromised.

Well yeah cause that'd mean we don't have a big problem wouldn't it....
But if Indy says he didn't, well then I believe him. Which is quite a big deal for a cynic like moi.

Posted by Indiana on 09-27-2002 11:47 PM:

I didnt do it, but if I find out who did there'll be f**king murders!

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 09-29-2002 12:56 AM:

I dont believe Indy did it, but i am of the belief it was his account that was 'compromised' somehow - either hacked or a bad-login, or he had actual live contact with the perp.

Posted by Indiana on 09-29-2002 10:45 AM:

The perp? Thought you would have used more harsh words than that JK. Sounds more like an Englishism than an Aussie term. U been spending too much time on the boards with all these English that troll the boards.

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-29-2002 11:09 AM:

perp is what cops say on cop shows

Posted by Indiana on 09-29-2002 11:11 AM:

They never said that on any cop shows. You must still watch Badge of Honour. Wathc seem shows where they call the perps bastards and scum and low life. Like Water Rats! Only reason thats good is coz u got a Hard ass Scotsman at heart as the lead of the show.

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-29-2002 11:17 AM:

that guy off Law and Order says perp, and on some aussie cop shows.

Posted by Indiana on 09-29-2002 06:59 PM:

That guys a jerk though. I seen him in the tweenies

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 09-30-2002 03:33 AM:

heheh you yeah bloody bri- i mean, gits

also, i dont care how you do it, but can you please tell Bose that i dont in any way think it is him (as thomas ward or as an accomplice), no more than i think it was you, but wouldn't mind his opinion on how Thomas got a screencap of this forum.... he wont listen to me... and the 'Poll' he created reinforces that.

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 10-01-2002 02:30 AM:

On Indy's encouragement, here is Bose's explanation.

quote:
He was able to procure the image of the mod forum because the version of vB being used at the time was old. As
far as I am aware, the security hole that existed in 2.2.4
does not in 2.2.7 - meaning gaters is secure. To that end, there is nothing more that "needs to be done".

I share the website with him as we both use it as a "dumping ground" for any files we want to link to (the mod forum image for
example :S) -
Though I believe there are logs kept somewhere on the
server, it is beyond me to tell anything about the image that The Keeper doesn't already know. From what location it was uploaded, I'm assuming TW's computer? Like I've told countless others, I really would rather this never happened, and not simply because people tend to be blaming me etc.
There's really not much I can do, but if you want any help
of a specific nature, let me know.

So at least with the upgrade, we know it cant happen again, but the point is, you will have still needed to hack to get that far.
guilty as charged.

Posted by Indiana on 10-01-2002 11:01 AM:

So we're cool then.

Posted by nug on 10-01-2002 12:04 PM:

quote:
As far as I am aware, the security hole that existed in 2.2.4 does not in 2.2.7 - meaning gaters is secure.

if that's the case, it was a pretty freaking big security hole.....