Gaters.net
Show all 71 posts from this thread on one page

Gaters.net (http://www.gaters.net/index.php)
- General Forum (http://www.gaters.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3)
-- New Poll (http://www.gaters.net/showthread.php?threadid=2574)

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-21-2002 03:25 AM:

New Poll

In the thread about Who is the most psychologically stable Hammond was the clear winner, taking the lead with 32.5% of votes.

Now it's time for a new poll - Do you think there should be a 7th season of Stargate Sg-1 ?

Vote now! You may pick multiple options to complete your vote.

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-21-2002 03:31 AM:

My vote is:
Yes, as long as no more characters quit. They should make a good spin off series. They should make an SG-1 movie.

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 09-21-2002 04:52 AM:

a good spin off series.

Posted by Shaneo on 09-21-2002 06:13 AM:

All of the above

Posted by Queen Lou on 09-21-2002 07:54 AM:

I don't think SG1 should continue for much longer. They seem to be comming desperate for plot lines. They should end it with dignity while they can. I think they should leave it off at season 6 and finish it with a movie. Then if its still popular make an independant spin off series.

*waves* hi any real sg people out there, and AT

Posted by Indiana on 09-21-2002 11:08 AM:

It seems clearly that an SG-1 movie is a very popular idea.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Posted by Bose-Einstein on 09-21-2002 12:44 PM:

I voted for all the options. Couldn't resist it with check boxes instead of radio buttons.

Posted by chameleon on 09-21-2002 12:55 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Goa`uld
My vote is:
Yes, as long as no more characters quit. They should make a good spin off series. They should make an SG-1 movie.

Great minds and all that crap......

Posted by Lucyace on 09-21-2002 12:56 PM:

Note that no one admits to being an Infinity fan

Well, 'cept for Bose, but that doesn't count

<--- Just Lucy

MSN: [email protected]
Add me!!

Posted by president doc on 09-21-2002 12:57 PM:

identical to goa'ulds votes.

Posted by Thomas Ward on 09-21-2002 01:38 PM:

They should have a spin off series where Teal'c becomes a popular zany television cook who re-energises the genre with his gaggery and outgoing personality, as well as his loud shirts and great recipes.

Posted by president doc on 09-21-2002 01:43 PM:

Dont forget the bulging eyes and sexual innuendo every 5 seconds.

Posted by Indiana on 09-21-2002 01:53 PM:

Already been done I'm afraid. Haven't you seen any of the episodes with Willie Garson in it? He plays a chef in both Wormhole X-Treme and Point of No return.

"Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm gonna be just like you.The job, the family, the fucking big television. The washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electric tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisure wear, luggage, three piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption clearing gutters, getting by, looking ahead, the day you die."

Posted by Tupat on 09-21-2002 08:49 PM:

I'm with Pres and Goa'uld on this.
I wanna have my cake and eat it please.
But if they do need a new angle how about changing rooms,
I can see Teal'c as Handy Andy.

Posted by MacGyver on 09-21-2002 09:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ward
They should have a spin off series where Teal'c becomes a popular zany television cook who re-energises the genre with his gaggery and outgoing personality, as well as his loud shirts and great recipes.

I like this idea

Posted by Tupat on 09-21-2002 09:06 PM:

Go to strange new worlds and force them to eat things that all,
taste like chicken ?

Posted by Otis on 09-21-2002 11:37 PM:

My choice, also. I will admit Iwatched Infinity this morning. It was cute, but not SG-1 fulfilling.

What wold you think of a spin-off centering on Daniel in his ascended form?

Posted by Goa`uld on 09-22-2002 02:28 AM:

Otis, anything from a different planet's POV. Maybe a show about the 4-race allience.

Or yeah, maybe Teal'C could do a cooking show with Martha Stewart.

Posted by chameleon on 09-22-2002 03:19 AM:

And you can't forget the hats.

Posted by Xenia on 09-22-2002 11:42 PM:

Daniel in his ascended form? serious wigging out!
not saying it's a bad idea tho.

hats. yes. must Have hats.
pink and green hats.

no i am NOT stoned. but that's what all stoned people say.

www.mysmilies.com

Posted by Kamakazi Casper on 09-23-2002 11:48 AM:

That they're not stoned?

And what is with the hats?

I don't really care either way as long as they concentrate on the movie and spin off and not have sucky storylines.

She hitched a ride to misery

Posted by Marleen on 09-23-2002 12:21 PM:

Anything, as long as O'Neill's (dry) humor stays in.
Nightwalkers IMHO just lacked O'Neillisms.

Posted by bikemancs on 09-23-2002 07:18 PM:

more...?!

ok, I think that SG-1 should continue for another season...but what about an SG-2 or SG-5...why not explore what some of the other teams have done (like the Marines, Medics, Diplomats Scientists Etc...) Personally I enjoyed "The other Guys" and I think it would be fun to see more of them.

We know other teams have had fun missions, maybe it could be the "missing missions" You know like when another SG Team comes through the gate and asks for SG-1s help, why not see what just happened to that other team? I mean that would be some pretty cool stuff, at least I think so...

I will see you next year because that's when I'll be back on. have a merry christmas a Happy New Year and a good holiday for those of you for whom the above does not apply.

ANUBIS you still have to send me your pic!!!!!!! :angry:

Posted by webmouse on 09-23-2002 09:57 PM:

RDA has made known his desire to spend more time with his family and work on environmental projects. Most of the concern about the loss of characters centers on RDA's participation or lack thereof in a 7th season.

I think I could tolerate the loss of O'Neill (retired from the military, make occasional guest appearances), a team headed by Carter, with Teal'c, Jonas, and -- well, I think Daniel would have to return in some capacity, if not as a full-team member. Somehow the connection to the original film needs to be maintained in one of the two main characters from the film.

Otherwise at some point it isn't SG1 anymore. If the focus becomes one of the other teams, then its a spin-off and not a 7th season at all.

Queen of De Nile

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 09-24-2002 02:52 AM:

hmmm.. its interesting to look at the poll, and not be able to see any real clear winner, as most of these type of questions have in the past. Its my understanding that the entire fandom is pretty much split evenly. Shall be interesting to see the fall out whatever happens

Posted by webmouse on 09-24-2002 11:39 AM:

I think the varied answers are based on the lack of knowledge of what is possible and what is being contemplated. So much of what people want or expect from a 7th season or a spin off or a feature film depends on factors beyond our control.

Will RDA leave? Will MS return? Will it stop being SG1 altogether and morph into something else? At what point does it cease to be 7th season of SG1 and become Season 1 of something else?

Some of the recent stories have gotten weak with plots nicked from other sources. If the writers can't produce interesting plots, then it doesn't really matter who's in the cast. Even a great actor cannot save a bad script.

If a 7th season can recapture the essence of what SG1 makes unique and give Jonas a chance to develop as a full character, then I'm all for it. If it is just going to limp along until oblivion begins to look attractive, then it is better to go out on top and focus on a great feature film for the original cast.

As for a spin-off, it doesn't really help just to recast and put SG5 out there instead of SG1. If the stories aren't there for SG1 then they won't be there for SG5 either. Having a team stranded off-world on an interesting, highly diverse planet, no gate access, but perhaps a sort of a space port where aliens come and go might be one thought. (Yep, sounds a little like DS9, I know)

And then there's the 'lost in space' angle -- been done, of course -- but could spend a season or two wandering in an alien ship on the far side of the galaxy, only finding planets where the gates have been de-activated or destroyed.

Theatre of all sorts (live, film, TV, etc.) requires but two things -- an actor and an audience. It is a symbiotic process where both parties give something of themselves to create the theatrical experience. If any show is going to work it is in the interests of the producers to know the mind of the intended audience and as long as the audience remains open-minded to a variety of possibilities, the interchange can produce a satisfying program for all involved.

It would help if some information from TPTB gave us some hints about what is being considered and if they are receptive to responsible feed-back.

Queen of De Nile

Posted by Tula on 09-27-2002 05:25 PM:

I dunno - its a great series, RDA humor really makes the shows, but, but....... look what happened to the X-files, it ran on and on and on and on.................... eventually all semblance to the really great and original show was gone.

what is the term they use, jumping the shark, fish, whale - whatever. I hope that TPTB do not go on too long and it looses all its street cred.

Still, I love the show at the moment.

I got a Noddy Badge for Being *Nuked*

Posted by kmg on 09-29-2002 06:21 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Queen Lou
I don't think SG1 should continue for much longer. They seem to be comming desperate for plot lines. They should end it with dignity while they can. I think they should leave it off at season 6 and finish it with a movie. Then if its still popular make an independant spin off series.

I whole-heartedly agree, but how did you vote since end at S6 and the movie are two separate choices?

I'm just going to choose the movie assuming it means no S7.

Posted by kmg on 09-29-2002 06:24 PM:

BTW, I hate polls outside of rating an episode.

Posted by arrow on 10-03-2002 10:59 PM:

what is up with all the conundrums? hell, Sg1 has been running for, what, 6 years now? it's a great show granted, but with all that has already happened to SG1 itself, a spinoff series or in fact, too many further series' would have little or no plot lines to go on. whilst i would love for stargate to go on forever, one of these days we will have to concede to the series finishing for good.
with all the existing characters getting older and wishing to move on, or perhaps leave show-biz altogether, why should they not be allowed to do as such once their contracts expire. and whilst talks with MGM continue about the possibilty of a second SG movie, the original writers are still up in arms at the idea of integrating SG1 into that movie and wish to revert back to the "original" , and i use that term very loosely, actors portraying the different characters.
one by one we will have to realise that the greatness of the show as it is now will degrade and corrode until it becomes just a shadow of its former glory.
whilst i voted for SG1 to continue into a 7th season, i am not so naive not to realise that without DJ there will be no real SG1 feel, and if further actors leave...disaster will strike.
so i say, let sg1 continue for 1 or 2 more seasons, then finish our beloved baby up with a movie. who knows, maybe when we are all old and grey, a new SG series will be born, and like star trek before it, become the new sci-fi show that can never truly die.

Posted by Venus on 10-04-2002 03:21 PM:

I'd like to see another series in that I'd be interested to see more of Jonas, and also Series 6 seems to have changed a lot - undergone a slight makeover. Not just cos Daniel's left, but also the dialogue seems different, better, plots are obviously more developed. So, I'd like to see more of that, though I may have changed opinion by the end of the series.

A movie would just be wierd, I'd want JS and KR back. I don't really see CJ, AT etc as film actors, though that doesn't mean it would work. Thought it'd probably end up being crap, or a cliche or something.

Posted by msj_Shanks on 10-04-2002 11:11 PM:

well,
i think they should leave it
even though i lov it sooooooooooooooooooo much the actors would get bored of it and wont act as well and RDA will be in even less but i think coren would like it but the others wont!!!!!!!

Posted by msj_Shanks on 10-04-2002 11:14 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Venus
I'd like to see another series in that I'd be interested to see more of Jonas, and also Series 6 seems to have changed a lot - undergone a slight makeover. Not just cos Daniel's left, but also the dialogue seems different, better, plots are obviously more developed. So, I'd like to see more of that, though I may have changed opinion by the end of the series.

A movie would just be wierd, I'd want JS and KR back. I don't really see CJ, AT etc as film actors, though that doesn't mean it would work. Thought it'd probably end up being crap, or a cliche or something.

i would lov 2 c the movie and amanda has been a movie actress b4 but she didnt hav big parts
i think they would do just fine!!!!!

Posted by Sand Lilly on 10-05-2002 06:25 AM:

I would love to see a 7th season, but if it doesn't happen that's okay, as long as they make a movie. Queen Lou is right though, if it starts to go downhill, they should stop while ahead. Hey I'm enjoying this season though. Really enjoy the new kid on the block -- Jonas Quinn -- cool actor

Posted by Venus on 10-05-2002 10:25 AM:

msj, please don't double post. And I think you might find this helpful.

It'd be interesting to see a film, but I'm not sure if they'd be able to come up with a good enough plot.

Isn't there definately gonna be a film though?

Posted by Lucyace on 10-05-2002 10:50 AM:

quote:
msj, please don't double post. And I think you might find this helpful. ...

HA! I knew you couldn't be a pure spammer for long!

quote:
Isn't there definately gonna be a film though?

Yeah, the writers have already started discussing ideas and have the basic plot, all they need is MGM's support.

I dont think there should be another series, especially if some of the actors left. But if they all stayed... then I wouldn't have a problem

<--- Just Lucy

Add me!!

Posted by Venus on 10-05-2002 10:56 AM:

Well, I think S6 works well enough (I've only seen abt 7 eps though), so, if they continued as they are now, another series would be good.

What's the film called? Atlantis?

Posted by Lucyace on 10-05-2002 11:00 AM:

Yup.... and with that name you could probably assume that we would find out more about the origins about stargate and the history of the people that built it.... there was a site that went into quite a bit of detail about it, but I can't find the URL at the mo....

<--- Just Lucy

Add me!!

Posted by Kamakazi Casper on 10-05-2002 11:16 AM:

Altantis is the name of the spin off. There isn't a name for the second film yet (barring Stargate 2)

She hitched a ride to misery

Posted by Lucyace on 10-06-2002 11:15 AM:

Whoops! All this information about new Stargate spin-offs and movies is too confusing!!

Any hints at all about the name of the movie?

<--- Just Lucy

Add me!!

Posted by Venus on 10-06-2002 11:52 AM:

From the Stargate II section at Gateworld:

quote:
Although the title of the film may not end up "Stargate II," it's interesting to note that MGM has taken the liberty of registering the domain names StargateII.com and Stargate2.com -- which currently forward to MGM's home page.

Posted by Lucyace on 10-06-2002 12:00 PM:

OOO! Forward planning by MGM! It'll be disappointing if it is called stargate2. How unoriginal

<--- Just Lucy

Add me!!

Posted by Venus on 10-06-2002 12:03 PM:

Well, it might make people go and buy Stargate I...

Posted by Lucyace on 10-06-2002 12:05 PM:

LOL, yeah, only to find the story has changed totally from the original...

<--- Just Lucy

Add me!!

Posted by Vern on 10-06-2002 12:18 PM:

I expect MGM just didnt want anyone registering the obvious domains before them. Then making an un-offical site that everyone goes too, when they type in the obvious address for info on the second stargate movie.
Surely MGM wouldnt be that boring with the title?

Posted by spur on 10-18-2002 10:44 PM:

A continuation is needed to answer a few unanswered q/ Such as what happened to that woman Jack was "with" in a hundred days?

Posted by Lucyace on 10-19-2002 09:09 AM:

huh?
Naaaahh, you know what it's like, they go to new planets, break a few hearts, return home for dinner, and forget all about them

And I believe that the film will probably be used to wrap up the Goa'uld storyline, either they win, or they don't!

<--- Just Lucy

Add me!!

Posted by TheOneKEA on 10-24-2002 10:00 PM:

I would like to see a Season 7.

No NUKAGE yet!

Posted by Wingless Flyer on 10-24-2002 11:46 PM:

Personally, from the great S6 eps that I have seen (UK, so not many have been aired yet) I really think there could be cause for a season 7, but I really want to see SG1 on the big screen, and I also want to see a good spin off.

Asking to much? I don't know, but I think that would simply be awesome...

Posted by Enami on 11-08-2002 04:06 PM:

More SG-1!!!!!!and then a film.

Posted by webmouse on 11-08-2002 04:54 PM:

MGM has made S7 official now, but without any details. RDA will remain in his actor/producer capacity, but on a reduced schedule. All sorts of hints about MS coming back and not a word on CN.

I'd like to see S7 happen, but much depends on the cast and the stories.

Queen of De Nile

Posted by Zak Fox on 11-08-2002 10:32 PM:

If a movie came out I'm not sure that I'd watch it.
I dunno why just I think it would seem to ruin the whole thing.

No matter. I doubt they'll make one so it don't matter.

Posted by webmouse on 11-09-2002 02:23 PM:

STNG has made several fine, successful films after the end of the TV series, and I have looked forward to seeing each one. (Nemesis coming soon, yippee!) The movies have enhanced my appreciation for the series and the actors, not diminished it.

If SG1 can come up with scripts of similar quality and action, then films can provide a continuation of the story long after the TV series closes shop. Most fans will enjoy seeing the characters again and in longer, more complex stories not limited by broadcast time and commercial interruptions.

Word has also come out the S7 will see the return of MS as a regular cast member. Still no news on the others.

Queen of De Nile

Posted by The Ancients on 11-09-2002 06:59 PM:

If they can come up with new and original story's then yeah i'd say go for it but season seven should defiantly be the last. After season seven they should finish it with a movie. If its still popular make a spin off.

Posted by Jaffa, Kree! on 11-10-2002 07:39 AM:

webmous - RDA, AT and Corin are signed (corin having a 2 year contract)

Still no official word yet on Chris

Posted by Jaffa on 11-10-2002 08:07 AM:

i think that he will most likely sighn, he cant not sighn

Albert Einstein

Posted by webmouse on 11-10-2002 07:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffa, Kree!
webmous - RDA, AT and Corin are signed (corin having a 2 year contract)

Still no official word yet on Chris

I think it would be great to have an SG1 season with both DJ and JQ, but Nemec's 2 year contract is no guarrantee. A contract only means that the actor will get paid, not that he will appear.

Also, it depends on what period the 2 years covers -- could be nearly up if measured from the latter months of the filming of S5 through the just completed filming of S6. No word as yet on when they will start filming S7.

So we'll have to return to the wait-and-see mode for the answers on CN and CJ.

Queen of De Nile

Posted by TheOneKEA on 11-11-2002 07:12 PM:

I think the biggest problem is how Nemec and Shanks will get along. After all, I don't think Shanks has been anywhere near the Stargate since he left, so he may not be familiar with Shanks.

If there are disagreements, I just hope it doesn't wreck the last season and remove MGM's foot via Mark-3 detonation

No NUKAGE yet!

Posted by Lya on 11-11-2002 07:27 PM:

As much as i love the show, i think they should call it a day, and have a movie to finish it all off, though there are some storylines i wouldn't mind them going back too. There's only so long you can keep something going for. And i'd rather it ended on a high.

Posted by TheOneKEA on 11-11-2002 07:32 PM:

Well, I would have to agree partly. I certainly understand your comment about how dragging something out can cause it to cheapen and become really awful, but I think the show still has a lot of life left in it, shown by the ratings it's getting on Sci Fi.

Personally, I think the possibilties alone of Daniel and Jonas learning how to work together on a five-person team would certainly provide a season-long thread, and would add a B plot to the movie if taken that far.

No, Lya, I think SG-1 has a ways to go yet. I think it will finish with a SWOOSH.

No NUKAGE yet!

Posted by Lya on 11-11-2002 07:43 PM:

Well, if the ratings are good, then yes, perhaps it should go ahead. Just over here no-one watches it, i'm surprised it's still being aired..when they do decide to show it ( but very glad! )

Posted by webmouse on 11-11-2002 11:02 PM:

Other shows have run much longer without running out of steam -- or stories. A 5 person team with some inherent conflicts (DJ and JQ learning to get along, Jack trying to ride herd on both) and some cooperation (T helping JQ adapt to life on Earth, Sam and JQ working on naquadria projects) could be wonderful.

And if the material allows, then there could be several movies -- just as Star Trek has done.

Queen of De Nile

Posted by jack's hat on 11-17-2002 06:33 PM:

alright I'm new, but I think that SG-1 should get some other members younger members and carry on. If they get people that are say 15, 16 the storylines could get very interesting.

Posted by Lucyace on 11-17-2002 06:38 PM:

15? 16? Offworld? Fighting the Goa'uld? Hmm.. I can't see it happening really... but then again... it is Sci-Fi

<--- Just Lucy

Add me!!

Posted by shiloh on 11-17-2002 07:56 PM:

A 15 year old in the military? As if. The best thing about Stargate is that it's realistic.

Posted by Wingless Flyer on 11-17-2002 09:00 PM:

If they ever put in something as naf as that into SG then I'd be force to purchase plane tickets to Canada and give the producers a damn good thrashing...

Posted by Venus on 11-18-2002 09:48 AM:

Spoilers for Season 5

Menace was a good (if somewhat hyperbolic) example of what it'd be like to have teenagers around. It was good for a one off episode, but much more and it'd just turn into a , oh, something's gone wrong again due to the uncontrollable teenager type episode.

Posted by Duke Enmes?rr on 11-19-2002 08:02 AM:

More stargate, More stargate, More stargate!!!

Yeah i would like to see much more stargate! MGM should go till the tenth series, like a series per year thing. Then they have plenty of time to introduce new races and more Goa'ulds who want to be like Anubis. The only thing that they shouldn't do is add and subtract SG1 members. No, no that runins the plot. Shakes the foundations!!!

Posted by Starprops on 11-26-2002 01:59 PM:

The 6th season has been great so far, so I have every reason to believe season 7 will be great as well, especially with the cast and writers intact. Starprops

Posted by shiloh on 11-26-2002 04:04 PM:

Howdy and welcome Starprops.

Posted by Kaila on 11-30-2002 08:05 AM:

So, just to recap for those who lost track.

There will be a season seven. RDA will be in it, though in it somewhat/considerably less. Michael Shanks, it seems, has seen the mistake he made in leaving. What's the bet he got bored?

Jonas' in it, Sam's in it, Teal'c's in it: It's all good.

It's an interesting prospect about teenagers, but that would just be wrong. Think plausability here, people. Actually, now I'm gonna go write a 'make your own ep/plot' thread for the hell of it.

Oh, and I just caught the end of that episode with the two scientists, and the 'daydream' with the...medal of honor at the end. Nearly fell off my bed laughing, despite the fact I had it figured out that it wasn't real as soon as they started the 'ceremony'.

Gotta love the:
"But you're SG1! It's what you do!" <--scientist I can't remember, reminds me spookily of me.
*Looooong pause, reaction shots of team*
"...Right." Jack.

or sumthin like that
gonna go rewind the tape